ripples in skim

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8ft x 8ft. Assuming my trowel is 1ft long (or slightly longer), it takes 8 strokes in each direction. 8 x 8 is 64 strokes in total. 64 x 2 seconds is 128 seconds in total :)
I would say you are wrong each stroke overlaps the last stroke every time, also you have to stroke across or down for the top, video it and prove yourself right but I say no...

The easiest way to eliminate the stripes is a nice flat trowel and not jumping on when its too wet sounds to me like your just making more work minh no offence i can understand what your saying but if you can get it tear free for 2 foot then why not 6 foot in one go as the trowel will keep the water on the blade, angle it and it will run off.

8ft wall by 8 proberly 20 strokes max and a couple of mins with less effort

Ming you are wrong in every possible way u want long smooth sweeping strokes not little quick stabs at it

I suggested to Ankers that he should use a short stroke. When he becomes more confident, he can use whatever method he chooses. He needs to start from somewhere and it doesn't matter which method he uses because given time, he will develop his own preferred method :)

Ankers close the angle of the blade dnt hit it soo soon let it pick up for a bit and keep the trowel clean and free of build up. Nice soft wetting in brush and where u want to trowel just brush a small single stripe of water and still with a flatter blade trowel over it in a nice long sweep
This will solve ur problem not short little jabbing strokes.
Sorted move on

I suggested to Ankers that he should use a short stroke. When he becomes more confident, he can use whatever method he chooses. He needs to start from somewhere and it doesn't matter which method he uses because given time, he will develop his own preferred method :)
I would suggest to Ankers that if he is calling himself a plasterer then he needs to go back to school and learn how to skim properly. If by chance he is not and is just having a go he should of stated so in his post as any advice given is purely academic as a set of skimming should be worked to the conditions it is being applied to.

I would suggest to Ankers that if he is calling himself a plasterer then he needs to go back to school and learn how to skim properly. If by chance he is not and is just having a go he should of stated so in his post as any advice given is purely academic as a set of skimming should be worked to the conditions it is being applied to.

Well said Beader :)

If he's producing ripples in his skim then it would be fair to assume he's still learning. For someone with his inexperience, it wouldn't be worthwhile teaching him a longer stroke until he is able to produce a consistent finish.

A long stroke takes years to develop, but if he takes one step at a time, he should be able to learn at a steady rate :)

At school were are taught an elementary theory. At college we soon find out that those theories are re-defined. At university the goal posts are moved again and the theory is re-examined in even more depth.

The process of learning is through progression. The advice I give is dependent on the context to which it is asked. If the subject matter was a highly skilled plasterer he would not be asking an elementary question. It follows that the advice he receives should also be elementary :)

Plenty of big strokers on here........................:RpS_thumbup:
Lol very true arti,the science of skim Marra eh?.... Where is lancy when you need him? he could advise on stroke length..... After all the can only be one longstroke:RpS_thumbup:

At school were are taught an elementary theory. At college we soon find out that those theories are re-defined. At university the goal posts are moved again and the theory is re-examined in even more depth.

The process of learning is through progression. The advice I give is dependent on the context to which it is asked. If the subject matter was a highly skilled plasterer he would not be asking an elementary question. It follows that the advice he receives should also be elementary :)
Have you ever heard the expression " Its like trying to teach pork".?

in my time i have only taught 2 people an never ever have i said to them just jam ya trowel into the wall 60 odd times and it will be pukka, if ankers is learning then he needs to learn the right way then he can tweak little things as and when he wants you dnt teach someone how to do something the wrong way in the hope they will pick it up in there own time, doin it your way he will be forever chaseing the mark from his trowel where hes starting his sweep in the middle of the wall and only moving a foot.
one nice sweep from ceilin down and one from the floor up, no messing about in stopping and starting.
ankers if you are keen on learing then please for the love of all that is right learn the correct way

8ft x 8ft. Assuming my trowel is 1ft long (or slightly longer), it takes 8 strokes in each direction. 8 x 8 is 64 strokes in total. 64 x 2 seconds is 128 seconds in total :)

Minh, you are so patient. Personally I like to leave my wall so to touch it feels like there's hardly any water left in it. Then I brush the edges with plenty of water on the brush and that does it. I don't flick the brush as the nits too much water. That's how I do it and I don't care how anyone else does it. Everyone finds their own way to go about their work and that's fine if they're getting a nice finish. If I was ankers I'd take on board all advice and find what works best for him.

Good luck Ankers

in my time i have only taught 2 people an never ever have i said to them just jam ya trowel into the wall 60 odd times and it will be pukka, if ankers is learning then he needs to learn the right way then he can tweak little things as and when he wants you dnt teach someone how to do something the wrong way in the hope they will pick it up in there own time, doin it your way he will be forever chaseing the mark from his trowel where hes starting his sweep in the middle of the wall and only moving a foot.
one nice sweep from ceilin down and one from the floor up, no messing about in stopping and starting.
ankers if you are keen on learing then please for the love of all that is right learn the correct way

Absolutely bang on.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Im keen to learn and its good to learn from those who have been doing it for years. I think your advice is right I think I'm not leaving it long enough to pull in, I just panic and think its going to flash set.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Im keen to learn and its good to learn from those who have been doing it for years. I think your advice is right I think I'm not leaving it long enough to pull in, I just panic and think its going to flash set.

Ankers,

Thank you confirming that you're a beginner. It was obvious to me because only someone of your inexperience would ask such a question.

Here's another tip for you: Learning how to gauge the thickness of plaster you're laying on the wall.

Load up your trowel and spread out the plaster in one continuous line until it runs out (try to ensure that it is evenly spread). Now poke a hole in the middle of the area you have just laid on. Take notice of the thickness of the plaster. If it is greater than 2mm, then simply use your trowel and spread it out further across the wall. Poke a new hole and check again. Once you have the correct thickness you can now move on to the next stage (if was too thin, simply scrape it off the wall and start again).

Look at the distance you were able to cover with the initial amount of plaster that was on your trowel. Now load the trowel with the same amount as you did the first time and lay it on the wall. You should cover almost the same distance you did the first time. Why is this important? If you covered less distance, it means you laid it on too thick. If you covered more distance, it means you laid it on too thin or you laid it on unevenly. If it is roughly the same distance, you know that overall it's roughly the same thickness.

When you lay on your second coat, to cover the same distance it requires half the amount of plaster because this time your aiming for a 1mm coat. If you loaded it up like you did on the first coat, you'll need to cover twice the distance.

With more experience, you'll be able to roughly gauge how much area a lump of plaster on your trowel will cover. Good luck and keep practising because practice makes perfect.

:)

Last edited:
Also...

Upon finding you need fresh water in a clean bucket, firmly grasp the bucket in your hand (by the handle) and look around for the water source.

Then it is simply a matter of confidently walking to the water source and filling your bucket.
Here's how.
Lift your left leg and place your foot approximately 50 centimetres in front of you, in the direction of the water source. This first step is important as it determines which way you will be walking.
Then, lift your right leg, which should be behind you, and place your foot about 50 centimetres in front of your left leg. Please do not worry about the exact measurement of 50 centimetres. You will find that with experience your comfort level may well be 45 centimetres, or even 55.

Repeating this left leg, right leg procedure should make you move.
IMPORTANT: If you are NOT moving then your technique is wrong.

When you reach the water source, simply place your bucket under it and fill with clean cold water to the desired level (which is another lesson).

I usually find that my students are confidently fetching clean water in their buckets within a week or two.
Hope that helps!
:RpS_thumbup:

Nah. Mike, not somethin I normally do:-0 would be great if someone could advise:RpS_thumbup:

Also...

Upon finding you need fresh water in a clean bucket, firmly grasp the bucket in your hand (by the handle) and look around for the water source.

Then it is simply a matter of confidently walking to the water source and filling your bucket.
Here's how.
Lift your left leg and place your foot approximately 50 centimetres in front of you, in the direction of the water source. This first step is important as it determines which way you will be walking.
Then, lift your right leg, which should be behind you, and place your foot about 50 centimetres in front of your left leg. Please do not worry about the exact measurement of 50 centimetres. You will find that with experience your comfort level may well be 45 centimetres, or even 55.

Repeating this left leg, right leg procedure should make you move.
IMPORTANT: If you are NOT moving then your technique is wrong.

When you reach the water source, simply place your bucket under it and fill with clean cold water to the desired level (which is another lesson).

I usually find that my students are confidently fetching clean water in their buckets within a week or two.
Hope that helps!
:RpS_thumbup:

:RpS_laugh:.......nice one yoda........................:RpS_thumbup:

What an audience. Follow me on Twitter and you'll receive my Tip of the Day on your mobile :RpS_thumbsup:

Lunch time Tip is to poke a hole in your skim. You'll soon learn to not worry about such hollows because they can be filled in during the lay down :flapper:

You seem to be following my posts like a religious zealot. Sign up to Twitter and you can tweet a response :flapper:
Not religious at all,I just like a good laugh.:RpS_thumbup:.... keep up the good work:RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.