Rendering window reveals

Members online

mcna

Hello,

I am hoping someone can advise on the following:

I am having a house built and, due to various issues, everything is terribly delayed and I am now paying hefty rental fees on the scaffolding.

The external walls are ready for rendering which means I can bring down the scaffolding when its finished, however I am now facing an extra 8-10 week delay for the new windows.

My builder tells me that he must install the windows before he can render the walls, meaning at least another 8+ weeks of scaffold hire fees.

Is it possible for him to render the walls and just leave the window reveal to be rendered later, perhaps from a ladder or small platform?

Thanks for any help.

Agree with beader , me personally I would want the windows in though doing it off the ladder is a bit of ball ache and would probably charge more

Many things are possible but not ideal?
So many times saving money makes the decisions or at least affects them negatively.
How much is your 8-10 week extra scaffold bill?

Just quoted for an external render where the windows are fitted after, therefore beads need to be fitted with a stop bead creating a 100mm reveal plumb and true, client has to measure windows as window firm do not accept any responsibility for window size ordered, explained to the chap that the window company seem to be calling all the shot here and seems a little arse backwards, they have had a 30k deposit off him, render quote was 19k ish+ the dreaded, didn't get the job. We are doing 3 big houses next to his, internal plaster and screed, we were recommended but last week every one man band and his mates were rolling up to quote, lads with no experience on external new/old masonary application of monocouche,f**k him he sells Merc vans for a living and wanted all extras FOC.

Just quoted for an external render where the windows are fitted after, therefore beads need to be fitted with a stop bead creating a 100mm reveal plumb and true, client has to measure windows as window firm do not accept any responsibility for window size ordered, explained to the chap that the window company seem to be calling all the shot here and seems a little arse backwards, they have had a 30k deposit off him, render quote was 19k ish+ the dreaded, didn't get the job. We are doing 3 big houses next to his, internal plaster and screed, we were recommended but last week every one man band and his mates were rolling up to quote, lads with no experience on external new/old masonary application of monocouche,f**k him he sells Merc vans for a living and wanted all extras FOC.

his next move will be to ask you if you can match the lowest quote?

I know Malc, and it needs to be completed by a convenient time for the window people who already have his money, big place in expensive village, he's been furloughed so has taken on the task of project managing the build. We previously quoted for a builder he strung along so I didn't cut him any slack, f**k**g great red brick chimney sticks out like a sore thumb on a newly slated roof that needs rendering.

Hello,

I am having a house built and, due to various issues, everything is terribly delayed and I am now paying hefty rental fees on the scaffolding.

The external walls are ready for rendering which means I can bring down the scaffolding when its finished, however I am now facing an extra 8-10 week delay for the new windows.

My builder tells me that he must install the windows before he can render the walls, meaning at least another 8+ weeks of scaffold hire fees.

Is it possible for him to render the walls and just leave the window reveal to be rendered later, perhaps from a ladder or small platform?

Thanks for any help.
Get a new scaffolder. Round my way they charge per job not per week

Many things are possible but not ideal?
So many times saving money makes the decisions or at least affects them negatively.
How much is your 8-10 week extra scaffold bill?
£100/wk so by the time they have installed and then completed the rendering, at least a £1k

Get a new scaffolder. Round my way they charge per job not per week

Bit unusual that ts, scaffolders price for erection and dismantle over a set or agreed time then in my case 5% of the price per week on hire. This covers the hire of Capital assets and a profit otherwise in time of boom the scaffolding company would have to hire in steel as their assets is tied up.

Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Genuine question if you was a tradesman with a young family what would you prefer and accept to be acceptable working conditions a safe scaffold or a heath & Robinson ladder with 1 slip from death or disability.

£100/wk so by the time they have installed and then completed the rendering, at least a £1k
So you'd save a grand but then have to pay the renderer to come back for an extra visit, probably with a labourer to hold ladders/platforms, in winter when it could be freezing. Any renderer is going to want an extra £500 on his price for the hassle surely. No brainer to just keep the scaffolding up

Keep it up
Everyone will be happier and do better work
You will be happier for those very results but will never know it unless you can live twice and experience both scenario’s
Or as I think it is officially worded: “you can never experience the counter factual”

Genuine question if you was a tradesman with a young family what would you prefer and accept to be acceptable working conditions a safe scaffold or a heath & Robinson ladder with 1 slip from death or disability.
But he’ll save a grand on scaffolding on his 300k build zombie, he needs that grand for the quooker tap in the kitchen.

Hello,

Thanks for any help.
How much is a mans life worth to you?.

We don't allow for scaffold on our render jobs but have a firm we ask to price and if customer accepts they do this on a fixed price for a set time (say 6 weeks max)
And would only charge if it goes over.....

Well, the reason for my question was to get opinions on what is possible from a plasterer’s perspective. I’m not a plasterer, so why would I know what is safe or not. I see plenty of other jobs done from ladders and platforms…

But of course, there’s always a keyboard warrior, full of bravado behind his anonymity….quick to throw childish insults without being in full possession of the facts. Childish and low class….but that’s your problem, not mine.

The builder is on a fixed price for the building contract with me, which is supposed to include the scaffold, which went up at the end of May.

He’s been so slow that he has already run 7 weeks over the original 3 months he had with the scaffolder and hasn’t even finished the roof yet.

And now we are faced with extra delays because the window supplier is telling us there is a 8+ week delay.

The scaffolder turned up and asked for extra rent (so far £700 plus the extra 8+wks to come) But the builder refused to pay the extra scaffold fees. So the scaffolder threatened to take down scaffold. Being held to ransom, I had to agree to pay the extra rent of £700, to date with a likely extra £1k coming up. So £1,700 extra.

And this is in addition to many other extra’s the builder is slamming me for.

Well, the reason for my question was to get opinions on what is possible from a plasterer’s perspective. I’m not a plasterer, so why would I know what is safe or not. I see plenty of other jobs done from ladders and platforms…

But of course, there’s always a keyboard warrior, full of bravado behind his anonymity….quick to throw childish insults without being in full possession of the facts. Childish and low class….but that’s your problem, not mine.

The builder is on a fixed price for the building contract with me, which is supposed to include the scaffold, which went up at the end of May.

He’s been so slow that he has already run 7 weeks over the original 3 months he had with the scaffolder and hasn’t even finished the roof yet.

And now we are faced with extra delays because the window supplier is telling us there is a 8+ week delay.

The scaffolder turned up and asked for extra rent (so far £700 plus the extra 8+wks to come) But the builder refused to pay the extra scaffold fees. So the scaffolder threatened to take down scaffold. Being held to ransom, I had to agree to pay the extra rent of £700, to date with a likely extra £1k coming up. So £1,700 extra.

And this is in addition to many other extra’s the builder is slamming me for.
Then your time should be with the builder explaining that he is on a fixed price contract and the extra cost of scaffolding is his problem.
I really don't even understand why you're getting involved and asking these questions? This should be a discussion between the builder and his renderer initially, and then between the builder and his scaffolder if need be.