Rendering short term course

Members online

waarrddy

Hello all. Ive been plastering for about 2 years now, and labouring previously for half. year. I never post on this forum but it has given me so much knowledge and insight into differing solutions and methods used by yourself that i could not learn under one gang. It has truly been an incredible tool in my arsenal to improve myself so id like to give thanks. I work for a small gang of 3 people and a few subbys when the pressure is on. Due to this im always too busy labouring when it comes to our rendering work. i always try and get there early to make sure there is plenty knocked up and on the board ready for the other lads so that i can put on with everyone but i never get the opportunity to use a float and rule off. i regularly undertake my own private work so i can use a rule internally but my skills are lacking when it comes to externals. i know this question has been posted many times on this forum but i figured my circumstances are different from the beginner coming into the trade. is it worth my going on a short term rendering course to complete my skillset? Or would it be a waste of money. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Many Thanks, Jack

Hello all. Ive been plastering for about 2 years now, and labouring previously for half. year. I never post on this forum but it has given me so much knowledge and insight into differing solutions and methods used by yourself that i could not learn under one gang. It has truly been an incredible tool in my arsenal to improve myself so id like to give thanks. I work for a small gang of 3 people and a few subbys when the pressure is on. Due to this im always too busy labouring when it comes to our rendering work. i always try and get there early to make sure there is plenty knocked up and on the board ready for the other lads so that i can put on with everyone but i never get the opportunity to use a float and rule off. i regularly undertake my own private work so i can use a rule internally but my skills are lacking when it comes to externals. i know this question has been posted many times on this forum but i figured my circumstances are different from the beginner coming into the trade. is it worth my going on a short term rendering course to complete my skillset? Or would it be a waste of money. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Many Thanks, Jack
@Stevieo I think he must be talking to you.

Knob head.

If your already knocking up for a gang when rendering then what dont you know?

You will always learn something
Question is whether the amount learnt is worth the time and money spent/lost plus other unseen costs.

I’d say in your case do not do it for a good while unless your boss sends you on it and pays you to do it (which he will not with a gang of 3)

Reason is: if you go it will create work relationship problems (that is what I mean about hidden costs) you be slagged off for going, taken the p1ss out of more when your back and if you start saying “I was taught on my course that you should do this” or “that” or “not do that” or “not do this” then you’ll end up hating working with them more and they will hate working with you more and all because you wanted to do the fun stuff of ruling off and floating - not worth it.

Nothings stays the same forever and your young and before long you’ll be looking at the new labourer who seems a bit miffed with a float in your hand and say “Monkey Boy was right and I can still do that course when time is right”

Careful Tom you know what @Cockney1 is going to call you.
15987856533062085650875541155539.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like its not really worth it. Can you make a good living just skimming? Does anyone want a volunteer for a short time. Ill get the beers in

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like its not really worth it. Can you make a good living just skimming? Does anyone want a volunteer for a short time. Ill get the beers in
Stick to skimming and get another mix in lad! Any plasterer starting out is a labourer for the first 4 years of there journey! Just watch and learn

You need hands on experienc, no short course can teach you that.

How long did it take you to master skimming? No day is the same, for example skimming on a cold damp day in a new build is different if that same wall was in a heated house. Rendering is the same.

Ruling off the modern renders like mono or ocr takes experience for example, you might spray it on almost perfect but play with it too much you will get it top heavy and it will start rolling. Circumstances might dictate that you will be better two passing it letting the first pick up a bit to reduce the risk of rolling, waving or whatever you want to call it. But you have to experience it personally, a book cant tell or a classroom, its down to personal experiences.

Try and find some Saturday morning work with a renderer willing to show you the ropes but doing it yourself and experiencing your own fu#k ups will only really teach you.

You need hands on experienc, no short course can teach you that.

How long did it take you to master skimming? No day is the same, for example skimming on a cold damp day in a new build is different if that same wall was in a heated house. Rendering is the same.

Ruling off the modern renders like mono or ocr takes experience for example, you might spray it on almost perfect but play with it too much you will get it top heavy and it will start rolling. Circumstances might dictate that you will be better two passing it letting the first pick up a bit to reduce the risk of rolling, waving or whatever you want to call it. But you have to experience it personally, a book cant tell or a classroom, its down to personal experiences.

Try and find some Saturday morning work with a renderer willing to show you the ropes but doing it yourself and experiencing your own fu#k ups will only really teach you.
Thank you thats good advice