Rendering Retaining Wall No Damp Protection

Members online

No members online now.

rhodrigwynjoned

Hi,
I’m not in the trade business at all, and I’m just on here looking for advice what’s best to render the retaining wall pictured.

The wall hasn’t been damp proofed at all before back filling, only a drain pipe with gravel was put for drainage.

As you can see from the photos, damp does come through as expected, but what would be the best option for a smooth, white finish, and last the longest? Krend? Sand and cement then paint it? Weberend LAC and then painted?

I don’t mind having to paint every few years! Just want the best options after noting protecting the soil side from damp.

Coping stones will be placed on top of the wall. What would your solutions be?
Any suggestions/advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks,

Rhodri

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 495
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 452
If it's not tanked on the retaining side your only option will be to clad it - treated timber battens - render board - silicone render system.

If you can't find wide enough copings try metal or get them fabricated.

Only way these walls can be rendered without cladding is if they are tanked with good drainage even then I would be cautious of the pressure on the wall.

Thanks for the reply so far. The wall is so long, I thought s/c would eventually crack?

Would putting weberend lac work? Then paint it? Scratch coat first then finish?

Nothing in the plain flat render is going to work over time. You needed a damp proof course and either tanking being or a membrane, some sort of dpc under the copings and adequate copings with a drip. Paint will constantly fail and salts will ruin monocouche.

Its old fashion and dated but a cement and sbr slurry with sharp washed sand and cement render finished in pebbledashing could well work. The slurry will not only be an adhesive but a tanking material and any salts will be masked by the pebbles. Put a bell cast bead 150mm above ground level.

Alternatively as mentioned screen it or build another skin in front of it with dpc bottom and top.

Thanks for the reply so far. The wall is so long, I thought s/c would eventually crack?

Would putting weberend lac work? Then paint it? Scratch coat first then finish?

No it won't work...if you need confirmation phone Weber Tech. In my opinion any render direct to that wall will fail in time. The wall needs to be tanked from behind and have adequate drainage. Your only option is to clad it.

Tanking membrane on the front , meshed render fixed under the coping

Iv just priced something similar, high density blocks, waterproofer in the mortar, drainage, painted the back side in blackjack then membrane. You’ve got to do everything you can to ‘tank’ the wall

Splaterdash it . In lime morter .slabs on top. Plant Laurel tree's in front. For get about it . Lifes to short. :inocente:

Hi,
I’m not in the trade business at all, and I’m just on here looking for advice what’s best to render the retaining wall pictured.

The wall hasn’t been damp proofed at all before back filling, only a drain pipe with gravel was put for drainage.

As you can see from the photos, damp does come through as expected, but what would be the best option for a smooth, white finish, and last the longest? Krend? Sand and cement then paint it? Weberend LAC and then painted?

I don’t mind having to paint every few years! Just want the best options after noting protecting the soil side from damp.

Coping stones will be placed on top of the wall. What would your solutions be?
Any suggestions/advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks,

Rhodri

It's negative side tanking mate.

Done lots of it and used all sorts of products on pools, tunnels, basements, etc.

My own personal view is if you can get to the other side of a surface and tank or membrane there, it makes life easier.

If not - the long and short of it is - it's more expensive if done as an afterthought.

For you in this situation, maybe look at something like Vandex.