Rendering Job

Members online

Cottagerenovator

I’m currently having my house rendered. The contractor started at the beginning of November and was meant to be done in 4 weeks.
He’s almost finished the job, but I had a few suspicions with the topcoat render he was using. He was using the Baumit Granopor top render which I suspected was not a silicone based render and my suspicions were confirmed today by Baumit after I emailed them.

The reason we wanted a silicone render in the first place was so we didn’t have to maintain the property very much, but the render he’s used is acrylic based and has already stained after a week under our wooden windows (due to the window stain). We expected this to happen, but after a year or two not one week.

I don’t understand why he’s used the acrylic based render and not the silicone one as they’re practically the same price. The render he used was also out of date which he assured me is fine. So he might have gotten a deal on them ???

i don’t know what to do now, I know there are some silicone paints out there. But are they any good ?

I’m currently having my house rendered. The contractor started at the beginning of November and was meant to be done in 4 weeks.
He’s almost finished the job, but I had a few suspicions with the topcoat render he was using. He was using the Baumit Granopor top render which I suspected was not a silicone based render and my suspicions were confirmed today by Baumit after I emailed them.

The reason we wanted a silicone render in the first place was so we didn’t have to maintain the property very much, but the render he’s used is acrylic based and has already stained after a week under our wooden windows (due to the window stain). We expected this to happen, but after a year or two not one week.

I don’t understand why he’s used the acrylic based render and not the silicone one as they’re practically the same price. The render he used was also out of date which he assured me is fine. So he might have gotten a deal on them ???

i don’t know what to do now, I know there are some silicone paints out there. But are they any good ?
You need to get back to basics and have a chat man to man like normal people used to.

He’s more than likely used acrylic as it’s cheaper than silicone if he’s cut his throat to get the job he’s going to want to make as many savings As possible materials being the first port of call us bing out of date gear and cheaper products,
can I ask how many quotes you had?
and out of the quotes you had why choose that contractor?
Was this contractor the cheapest?
did you do any due diligence on the contractor?

Do what you were going to do after a year or two.

Paint it with a silicone paint

if its wood stain then im afraid any render will stain. silicone will not hold that off.

if its stained when render still curing. i.e 3 or 4 weeks then it will ingress. otherwise it may wash off regardless of type of finish