Rendering in this weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
Hi all....Have started a job just before the hot weather kicked in.
Have got the front done as it wasn't to hot then but I have 100m2 spilt into 2 panels to finish.
Rend aid has been on for about 3 weeks at least, meshed and beaded.
Top coat is going to be Weber OCR hand applied at around 15mm average finish (brick work was terrible)with ashlar stone effect markings (not proper Ashlar).
Question is.... Who would lay in this weather bearing in mind The Sun is shining directly on this elevation from Sun rise til at least 2/3 in the afternoon.
The scaffold doesn't really shield it apart from bottom deck and 1st lift.
Top lift is directly in Sun along with 2nd lift.
I wouldn't hesitate if it was shaded but, Yeeezus ive been there doing some bits and boobs and it is hot while the suns out!
The whole reason Im doing this job is because the old stuff was cracked and the client wont be happy if the new stuff does to, neither will I, neither will my wallet!

Thanks in advance.

you need to create a shade or you need to put it on late in the day and work on late to finish, keep it dampened down, its worth their while investing in creating a shade , cheaper than hacking it off.. or wait a week and it may rain...

Thanks chaps, I have told the client I would wait bit but just dont know how long and thinking of options to help.
Have thought of the shading but have been told this could make it have a greenhouse effect and be hotter under neath as the sun will shine on it and heat it up.
What would you use for shading though?
The top lift has a parapet wall with coping stones but then a dormer set not to far back from this wall, dont know if that will affect what can be used to shade it.

hessian is good and it can be soaked, tarpaulins would create a green house, need plenty of bodies on it too.,the work that is..

Use scaffolders debris netting. Put it up the day before to stop the rend aid/bricks absorbing heat and then either 6 in the morning put the ocr and then cover up double thickness or keep covered and put on as soon as the the sun is off and then cover up. keep covered and keep watering it down. If you can afford it wait until cooler weather.

first time today, weve packed in with it being to warm, in as long as I can remember. 30odd metre panel that gets the sun all day, didnt want to tackle it.

way to hot ! even soaking hessian would dry fast in the direct sun ,we have two outside render jobs two finish but not going to risk it in 32 degree heat just don't want any come backs we might get the usual thunder storm after a week

Been smashing a big panel in white eps its bouncin back into my face. 30 degrees. Not looking forward to meshing it with genesis or texturing it.

Kirk the bloody winker is putting you boys to shame 8.15 in

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait till its cooler... me and the lads spead 3 pallets of krend the other day off ladders with no scaffold of **** all, Sun beeming down on us from 8 in the morning till 10 at night. Tshirts on our heads sweating and looking like egyptians. Dehydrating and going under a few times but carried on regardless. Stoped for pizza and bear at 11 and the full lot we put on was solid! Had to scratch it back there and then we didnt finish till 4 in the early hours and had the next day off. U can only imagine the team morale cleaning up the windows and floor at 3 oclock after all that lol. 2 days later we all had sun burn (even me) one had sun stroke shakin and feeling woozy and the others backs of his legs and shoulder were peeling! Nitemare, good payout but defo didnt enjoy it.

Wait till its cooler... me and the lads spead 3 pallets of krend the other day off ladders with no scaffold of **** all, Sun beeming down on us from 8 in the morning till 10 at night. Tshirts on our heads sweating and looking like egyptians. Dehydrating and going under a few times but carried on regardless. Stoped for pizza and bear at 11 and the full lot we put on was solid! Had to scratch it back there and then we didnt finish till 4 in the early hours and had the next day off. U can only imagine the team morale cleaning up the windows and floor at 3 oclock after all that lol. 2 days later we all had sun burn (even me) one had sun stroke shakin and feeling woozy and the others backs of his legs and shoulder were peeling! Nitemare, good payout but defo didnt enjoy it.
it must of been a good pay out to sod around like that in the heat and off ladders

plastic paddies, the real ones would of been in he pub....

Am thinkin about hireing a m tec machine for my next project. Approx 600m2 coming up in 2 weeks. Some right big areas to go at. Dont fancey expansion beads here there and everywere if i can help it. Ill be using 2 colours, 1 for the main and the 2nd for below the dpc level but its on a hill so will end up 6ft high on 2 elervations. Also they want coins (full brick half brick) running down the external angles of the building and window sills making and k renderd. Should be fun....
Realistically how many m2 could i spray on in a day compared to manually spreading? thanks.

Am thinkin about hireing a m tec machine for my next project. Approx 600m2 coming up in 2 weeks. Some right big areas to go at. Dont fancey expansion beads here there and everywere if i can help it. Ill be using 2 colours, 1 for the main and the 2nd for below the dpc level but its on a hill so will end up 6ft high on 2 elervations. Also they want coins (full brick half brick) running down the external angles of the building and window sills making and k renderd. Should be fun....
Realistically how many m2 could i spray on in a day compared to manually spreading? thanks.

If you've not used a machine before, quite possibly 0000m2

rendering is as hard or as easy as you make it. i have been rendering for a good while now and i have never rendered any thing off a ladder.

rendering is as hard or as easy as you make it. i have been rendering for a good while now and i have never rendered any thing off a ladder.

Nor me Malc, there's a well known rendering company in Essex that appear to do loads of their work off of ladders and the highest steps I've ever seen.

Nor me Malc, there's a well known rendering company in Essex that appear to do loads of their work off of ladders and the highest steps I've ever seen.

we did see a couple trying to render a gable end off ladders. in newtown, colchester. we stopped the truck, got out, and had a good laugh!

how did the Bear taste ?

:RpS_laugh:

@malc it wasnt by choice pal, when i origanaly qouted there was a scaffold up. 3 weeks later when i started it was gone lol Didnt even get a penny more either! Broke 1 or 2 roof tiles on the low levels but that was to be expected. When asked about them i could only laugh it off and shrug what did u expect. @plasterjfe honestly mate when the pizza guy turned up at 10 oclock and the customer produced the 'beer' we were that hungrey and dehydrated we probly wouldve ate a bear haha :RpS_thumbup: @essexandy with your experiance mate, realistically with a bit of practice what could be sprayed on in an average day? cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
well you have learnt from this job.
i got asked to price a house up for render, there was a scaffolding up. when i arrived to do the rendering scaffolding was down. i was told that it was my problem as i supplied and fixed my own material. i answered that i do supply and fit my own material but scaffolding is plant which i had not quoted for. we left them to get on with it.

@malc it wasnt by choice pal, when i origanaly qouted there was a scaffold up. 3 weeks later when i started it was gone lol Didnt even get a penny more either! Broke 1 or 2 roof tiles on the low levels but that was to be expected. When asked about them i could only laugh it off and shrug what did u expect. @plasterjfe honestly mate when the pizza guy turned up at 10 oclock and the customer produced the 'beer' we were that hungrey and dehydrated we probly wouldve ate a bear haha :RpS_thumbup: @essexandy with your experiance mate, realistically with a bit of practice what could be sprayed on in an average day? cheers

reminds me of when we did the parc tostre's on the welsh south coast doing the tape jointin. we worked all day (7am til 9pm) being away like and ate whole chickens with our hands around tea time hahah

never again

Status
Not open for further replies.