Rendering cracked all over, help

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielasker

Need some advice, having all external rendered with sand and cement , the first two sides completed have hairline cracks all over.
the surface is mainly brickwork and some block work , they applied rendaid first, then applied one coat of sand and cement ( red building sand with premium cement) with mesh and floated it up, surely even with rendaid applied first you still need a scratchcoat then a top coat ?

Need some advice, having all external rendered with sand and cement , the first two sides completed have hairline cracks all over.
the surface is mainly brickwork and some block work , they applied rendaid first, then applied one coat of sand and cement ( red building sand with premium cement) with mesh and floated it up, surely even with rendaid applied first you still need a scratchcoat then a top coat ?
Sounds iffy,

welcome along Daniel :RpS_thumbsup: if you can get some pics up would be nice. One coat of red building sand is doomed from the start I think. Are you getting this put right?

It won't be the rend aid that's the problem. That crap building sand! You can get plastering sand for a reason, a better blend which will massively reduce risk of cracks.

There is plastering sand for a reason.. Building sand is useless..for rendering genes the cracking..

And only one coat applied... !??

Issues..

Odd though in my thinking ,expensive also ? Sbr scud would of done the job,,ps how did it go, scratch, leave a week then float?

Yeah was expensive 20quid a bag
Left the rend aid 3 days scratched, floated 2 days later.
Deffo use it again

Should of applied a scratch coat

Surely if rend aid then weber OCR all day long one coat job done building sand FFA defo no no building sand is designed and graded for thin beds ie bricklaying

I noticed this on a job next door to a house I was working on a new extension the whole side was was sand and cement render and it's cracked all over sounds hollow when tapped. From the colour it appears to be building sand the front was tyroleaned with s/c. Must be the in thing!

Had to sack him, he tried to argue that what he had done was correct ! He seemed to think that rend aid was a scratch coat and that I could call the rep to confirm this, fortunately they did not have all of the agreed price ( internal plastering and rendering) and there is enough left to get some decent lads to to the work correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.