Rendering celcon blocks

Members online

All render systems reinforced meshed whatever you want will not hold back structural cracks when it's applied directly onto substrate,
the mesh reinforced systems are just to prevent the render failing not the substrate,
That’s cheered him up! (y)

Eml won't stop it cracking.
He only needs to put a strip of sisal paper up the straight joint so it can do all the moving it wants behind the paper admittedly it will sound hollow but it SHOULD stop it from cracking or just put back to back stop beads up the joint and silicone up the joint, they can be close to eachother

well I’m not a builder, and yes they are easier to lay. Also better thermal qualities. Tbf there’s been a few solutions here about rendering celcons so I’m sure it’s not that big of a deal.
Wasn't trying to give you a hard time just my opinion . Hope the rendering goes Ok.

That’s cheered him up! (y)
giphy.gif

You not slapped it on yet?

no not yet. I’m taking the upvc cladding off and replacing with a single upvc fascia board instead. Then I can render upto it will leave a nicer finish overall. Probably do it next week but I’ll post in here with the job done. Thanks for the good input.

I read that before coming on here but I wanted someone to comment who’d actually done it. Just a few people on here saying they wouldn’t want to do it makes you second think...but I’m gonna do it anyway and we will see.
Here's a couple of bits of rendering onto Celcon blocks. These are still there twenty-five years later.
external-rendering-02.jpg
external-rendering-17.jpg

Evening all,

I have asingle story building with celcon blocks that I need to render. I’m thinking my options are either making a brush on slurry of sbr, sand, cement, water, wait to dry then scratch coat as normal.

Or would galvanised steel mesh be a better option?

or am I well out and someone here has done a few of these and found something that works? Ratios would be great.
Thanks.

ps, the building has had an alteration after completion hence the odd block work to the left of the door. Not looking for comments on this. Thanks again.
Yes

I didn’t quite get what you meant.
It’s 2 celcon bricks, will create less KN on the sides of the building to help with the load on the lintel.

dotn worry, we’ve established many times the blockwork was being rendered so it didn’t need to be a masterpiece, just level and plumb.

go on certain new build sites and you’ll see plenty of bad brickwork on externals that will never be rendered.

Once it’s rendered nobody will ever know :p
Cost about £950 to do the build including the roof and that will include the material for the render.
Once it’s rendered I’ll be happy with that.

I didn’t quite get what you meant.
It’s 2 celcon bricks, will create less KN on the sides of the building to help with the load on the lintel.

dotn worry, we’ve established many times the blockwork was being rendered so it didn’t need to be a masterpiece, just level and plumb.

go on certain new build sites and you’ll see plenty of bad brickwork on externals that will never be rendered.
What’s the mix you’ve got planned for it?

What’s the mix you’ve got planned for it?

going to do a 4 - 1 sand and cement with waterproofer for the scratch. top coat with be 5-1-1 sand cement and lime. Don’t know Iime is old school now but I like how you still have movement in the mix once dry.