Render cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkfish

I have been tasked with a rendering job on a high roof near to sea and continual weather elements. The job was to EML (all stainless steel) over existing render, scratch coat and top to a sponge finish and no paint to be applied as the expense of getting scaffold to this area is high and he wants to keep it almost zero maintenance. I used 5:1:1 sand, cement, lime scratch and 6:1:1 top coat with waterproofer which I have used plenty of times. I wet the walls due to them being dry and scratched one day, topped the next. At the end of the day the job looked fine but following day a lot of crazing had come through and some cracking. The customer made us remove the top coat and redo job. The scratched walls were soaked and top applied, floated and sponged and then soaked and also covered from elements. The walls are rarely in direct sun and the weather was inclement. Once again crazing and cracks appeared about a week later and I am at a loss as what to do with it as this method has never previously failed. Has anyone got any suggestions to why this might be happening?

I don't follow your mixing,also did you use rib lath or flat eml ,
1 would of used ribbed lath, scratched 4/1 sand cement with waterproof ,leave for a week then float with 5/1/1 sand cement lime,
Though ,saying all that three coats might be more appropriate in the exposed areas you described,ps
How did you over into protect

My bad, we used 5 sand 1 cement scratch coat on EML and top coat 6 sand, 1 cement, 1 lime with waterproofer. I have never encountered Riblath until I started reading this forum. We used same sand and method on old garage wall few days later (minus the EML) and it came out perfect.

We protected it with old bed sheeting which customer provided and suggested and was soaked and scaffolders mesh on top of that.

If it was during the current heat wave ,many have experienced problems, I have 9 m 2 that has to be re done,thinking the lab left the mix too weak,but not sure, annoying.

@Milkfish I was always told to three coat Riblath, with a pricking up coat a scratch and a top.
I would make my mixes weaker as I go not stronger, also i would put lime in the top not the scratch and id put waterproofer in the scratch not the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Milkfish I was always told to three coat Riblath, with a pricking up coat a scratch and a top.
I would make my mixes weaker as I go not stronger, also i would put lime in the top not the scratch and id put waterproofer in the scratch not the top.
spot on therfe hicky

What do you guys mean by pricking up coat? Never heard that term before...

pricking up coat is the first coat on lath, it is just a prep coat to receive the scratchcoat. if you tried to scratchcoat all in one it would slump out of shape on the lath.

What do you guys mean by pricking up coat? Never heard that term before...

how long you been plastering Danny :confused: first coat on EML/ Rib lath/ old fashioned lath work - applied diagonally for best results -allow to set before applying the scratch coat :RpS_thumbsup: allow to set before applying top coat

I have no idea what your on about phil

Same carpark next week marra.............................:RpS_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.