Rember your first wage packet

Members online

Yoppers up here, in a derogatory way, cheap labour that usually got dropped when scheme was over. That's why I didn't want to go on the yts schemes I was offered. The boys that joined the firm I served my time with that were yts all got dropped bar 1.
they were slaves lets take to the streets and riot lol

Left prison in 95...was given a chance and respected the opportunity still to this day I feel the best & worst thing I've ever done.

Have a lovley massive house, cars, Van's etc...plastering has given that to me though always feel that the stress will 1 day take it back all.off me kn the worse way imma

Left prison in 95...was given a chance and respected the opportunity still to this day I feel the best & worst thing I've ever done.

Have a lovley massive house, cars, Van's etc...plastering has given that to me though always feel that the stress will 1 day take it back all.off me kn the worse way imma

You're too hard on yourself.

Golfers clap

I started in july 1976, with john laing, my first week as a 16 year old apprentice consisted of , sweeping up/scraping floors, renewing clean buckets of water,washing handboards and trowels,flattening angle beads,helping lab mix plaster no mixers then,wash buckets out ,repeat repeat , got called boy, boy make tea/boy sweep floor, soon learned a handboard was called a handboard judging by the abuse and shouting at me, and for all this i took home 16.00 quid for a weeks work, then i gave my dad 8.00 quid a week of that,....left me with 8.00 quid for a week,.......red hot summer 1976 was,and boy did i know.........1 lab was nickname the ships cook, why said i , because he was a fxxxxxxg cook on a ship came the elegant response,......1 plasterer had been captured first day of world war 2, spent entire war in a p.o.w. camp,........everybody seemed to smoke , and when i got picked up in the morning for the 40 minute journey to the site, there was 6/8 blokes in the back all smoking, oh how i enjoyed the travelling
Did you clean the hawks as well , you never mentioned that you did :coffe:

£25 a week yts went up to £26.50 a few weeks later.
Went to work with my old man a few months later February 1982 £40 a week ran a car went clubbing Friday and Saturday,Sunday I was skint
Happy days
Sounds exactly what happened to me , even the same year started

Left school in 81,I wanted to be a mechanic or chippy, failed every test I went for to be an apprentice, council,post office etc, I’ve got a bundle of dear john letters somewhere,done 2 yop schemes , really thought I cracked it with london transport, Stockwell bus garage ,loved every minute there, even driving the buses over the pits, no joy there , altho the mechanics Got a petition up to keep me on And vowed no more yops. Got the piss ripped out of me being a yop by my mates who all had apprenticeships by then. Started with my old man In 82 who had a few Irish fellas working for him, killed me knocking up for them, so decided learn Plastering properly , went to college, got city &guilds advance city &guilds , won apprentice of the year. When I was 19/20 So 1984/5 I was earning 45 a day same as other spreads , and did I go out that night and large it up to all my mates the ripped me . Never looked back and it’s been the best thing I did, had a good life out of this game And I’d never knock it .

1963, £2 17p union rate for first year apprentice, a master plaster would take home £20 per week. for a 42 hour week. always paid out in cash on a Thursday, in the building industry so that the wives could purchase the weeks shopping on the Friday.
everyone had a spare time job as an apprentice i would labour on the plasterer who laid the floor screeds on a large development of army housing in Colchester. we would lay 1 screed in an evenings on Mon, Tue, and Wed. have Thurs and Friday off then 2 on a Sat and 2 on a Sun. we got £7 per screed he had £5 i would have £2.
i purchased my first house at 18, £3,600 and a Jag E type at £1,300.

Did you clean the hawks as well , you never mentioned that you did :coffe:
there was actually a plasterer on the site, cockney called alf bowen, sadly long gone to the great building site in the sky, he had lived up north for 30 years still had his cockney accent and called his handboard a hawk,well the stick he took and gave as much back over this, i used to stand there and think what is going on here,

1963, £2 17p union rate for first year apprentice, a master plaster would take home £20 per week. for a 42 hour week. always paid out in cash on a Thursday, in the building industry so that the wives could purchase the weeks shopping on the Friday.
everyone had a spare time job as an apprentice i would labour on the plasterer who laid the floor screeds on a large development of army housing in Colchester. we would lay 1 screed in an evenings on Mon, Tue, and Wed. have Thurs and Friday off then 2 on a Sat and 2 on a Sun. we got £7 per screed he had £5 i would have £2.
i can still remember quite a few of the older plasterers/joiners /brickies, at the time, in 1976, who came to work each day wearing a tie,and always kept on all day, also told some good stories about the second world war even though it had ended 31 years previously

malc, question for you, among the topics of conversation i can remember amongst people was they could remember which site they were on, when the news came through that president kennedy had been shot in dallas , can you remember which site you were on,

i can still remember quite a few of the older plasterers/joiners /brickies, at the time, in 1976, who came to work each day wearing a tie,and always kept on all day, also told some good stories about the second world war even though it had ended 31 years previously
I worked for a large tile fixing firm about that time had to wear a tie with logo on when on private jobs but not site work

When I used to go on jobs with the old man i used to see the old guys in a shirt and tie,flat cap and bib and brace

When I used to go on jobs with the old man i used to see the old guys in a shirt and tie,flat cap and bib and brace
My old tradesman came to work in a tweed suit, shirt and tie. Got changed into his bib and brace and a white jacket.

malc, question for you, among the topics of conversation i can remember amongst people was they could remember which site they were on, when the news came through that president kennedy had been shot in dallas , can you remember which site you were on,

i was still at school. i was around 15 , a few of us lads where waiting at the bus stop as we were off to a evening at the cinema, around 5 o clock when one of our pals turned up and said that he had been watching the news and it had just broke that kennedy had been shot.

i got sent home on my first day because i did not have a neck tie on. the foreman plasterer wrote a note for me to give to my mother that i needed to be properly dressed at all times. as he was going to turn me into a plasterer and a gentleman.
after that i was able to sit in the tradesmen mess hut at meal times. labourers had there own mess hut as it was explained that low life like them would only be only trying to shag each other and had no interest in conversation.

i got sent home on my first day because i did not have a neck tie on. the foreman plasterer wrote a note for me to give to my mother that i needed to be properly dressed at all times. as he was going to turn me into a plasterer and a gentleman.
after that i was able to sit in the tradesmen mess hut at meal times. labourers had there own mess hut as it was explained that low life like them would only be only trying to shag each other and had no interest in conversation.
I take it you went and had lunch with the labourers?

on your first day malc no tie, what did your mam say

on your first day malc no tie, what did your mam say

rigged me out with a tie.
there was 1 plasterer who was always scruffy the other plasterers would not give him a lift home in their cars. he had to travel by the bus.