remember your first wage packet

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector

in july 1976 I received my first ever wage packet from john laing,i was 16 years old and just starting a 3 year apprenticeship, it was 18.00 quid, of which I gave my mam 8.00 quid, so leaving me with 10.00 quid for the week but of course in those days I could buy 4, yes 4 pints for a quid, can anybody else remember there first wage packet

£100 a week. mum never charged me board. friday night I thought I was rich. Monday morning I was skint.

I still have my first pay slip from 1980 somewhere in the loft :RpS_blushing: due to being a 16yr old and the tax situation (payed none for months :RpS_thumbup:) £33.50 a week. My mates who were apprentices at the yards and the pits were doubling that tho

ggood old days my wages was the same 5 pounds to mum the restles on12 inch singles you could buy beer and spirits 2 for the price off one happy days tambo the spread eagle

£25 yts painting and decorating. Went straight out and bought a £25 nafnaf t shirt and thought I was the dogs bolloks.

Mine was £80 a week I never got paid for the day I was at college so never got a full £100! Everything went on my knackered Mini back then :)

mines was 160 but that was less than 10 year ago. my dad always says his was £5 a week, with time served guys on £20 a week. Needless to say that was a little bit more than 10 years ago

april 1963 union rate for an apprentice plasterer £2.14p per week. a master plasterer would be on £20 per week. for a 42 hour week.
we would go moonlighting for another firm, floor screeding,we would do a couple of evenings in the summer months lay one house each evening, then 2 houses on a saturday and 1 on sunday morning .
we got £7 per house, £5 to lay £2 to mix up. every thing was cash in those days only a few people had a bank account.

Last edited:
£50 a week, gave me mother £20 a week ffs, the rest went on fags, weed, acid, speed & beer :RpS_drool:

Christmas job aged 14 using my brothers national insurance number working at Miller Brother for £1.88 an hour doing 11 hour shifts, 1st pay package I went & brought a Firetrap puffer coat, I was well happy lol

£18.50 and £10 of that went to me mam. Absolute poverty cos I used to get £10 a week on the milk round which i could often turn into £20-£25 with 'top-ups'

Last edited:
I started my Apprenticeship in July 91, the comany offered me a YTS scheme starting in April to ease me in..... First week salary was £28.50 (i think), which I got as cash in an brown envelope.... LOL

Gave my parents £10 and Dad £5 as he drove me to Northampton everyday....

Great times

1981 I got £75 gross, £51 take home for labouring on one, two or sometimes three spreads. Happy days.

£18 a day cash in 1981 when I was 15 labouring on my dad and 2 other spreads. Didn't give me mum anything on the basis that it should have been £20 a day.
Drank and gambled the whole lot :RpS_thumbsup:

When end I was younger me dad used to bring me in on a sat/ school holidays and would get a fiver for filling the barrel, cleaning and sponging.

so they used to sponge float finish in the 70s and 80s too Eddie lol

all render in ire is sponged. Ahem, I know nothing about the '70's :RpS_scared:
The worst job was painting on a pissy coat of coloured tyro before gunning it on, no rollers that time, brush would clog up in seconds :RpS_cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.