Rember your first wage packet

hector

I started in july 1976, with john laing, my first week as a 16 year old apprentice consisted of , sweeping up/scraping floors, renewing clean buckets of water,washing handboards and trowels,flattening angle beads,helping lab mix plaster no mixers then,wash buckets out ,repeat repeat , got called boy, boy make tea/boy sweep floor, soon learned a handboard was called a handboard judging by the abuse and shouting at me, and for all this i took home 16.00 quid for a weeks work, then i gave my dad 8.00 quid a week of that,....left me with 8.00 quid for a week,.......red hot summer 1976 was,and boy did i know.........1 lab was nickname the ships cook, why said i , because he was a fxxxxxxg cook on a ship came the elegant response,......1 plasterer had been captured first day of world war 2, spent entire war in a p.o.w. camp,........everybody seemed to smoke , and when i got picked up in the morning for the 40 minute journey to the site, there was 6/8 blokes in the back all smoking, oh how i enjoyed the travelling

13 years old, £5 a week, morning paper round in Swindon - my mate gave the round up and I took it over, he told me Diana Dors lived on Marlborough Road and got dressed at the window flashing her huge tits in the morning - months later I found out she hadn’t live there for years...my mate, what a c**t :)

I was born in 76 my mother said it was hell!!! But here I am :numberone: you could go get fish and chip supper drink 10 pints packet of fags and a box of England’s glory matches and still have change from a five bob and tuppence hapney note blah blah:ROFLMAO:

£2 a hour apprenticeship.
First wage packet done in ladbrokes on a tip from my boss , he said trust me son we will double your wages.

even money shot it was ridden by Kieron Fallon trainer by sir Micheal Stoute beaten out of sight it was.

“ win some you lose some “

he said as he dropped my back home with my tail between my legs.

Summer holidays 1985 £2 day rate + tips which my dad took half of as he said I wouldn’t have got the if it wasn’t for him, Turfing he cut it with a turf cutter with new rolling it up behind him the loaded it onto back of tranny.
Loved it even when it pissed down.

I think I was on about 100 pound week when I was 17 got £5 a day site fee for turning up first job was on a big college,I was just basically carrying all the plasterboards into rooms for the tackers and mixing adhesive for the week until they put me with 2 spreads at that age I was about 8 stone wringing wet and trying to carry 8x4 boards all day for 4 tackers i was shaking like a shitting dog in the wind at the end of the week

£25 a week yts went up to £26.50 a few weeks later.
Went to work with my old man a few months later February 1982 £40 a week ran a car went clubbing Friday and Saturday,Sunday I was skint
Happy days
£29.50 . Claim. More in expenses for bus fair . Yet I was 15 so still got on bus for 10p still. Was with Henry boot. Never planned on plastering just got placed with some lads.f**k*d it off for few years though . Then tagged along with bro in law when I could . Actually asked me yesterday to go rendering with em but I.m not bothered now . Dont need the stress of weather

£29.50 . Claim. More in expenses for bus fair . Yet I was 15 so still got on bus for 10p still. Was with Henry boot. Never planned on plastering just got placed with some lads.f**k*d it off for few years though . Then tagged along with bro in law when I could . Actually asked me yesterday to go rendering with em but I.m not bothered now . Dont need the stress of weather
Tell me about it 2 days rendering in the rain with a massive tarp over me
Inside next week just typical

Bet you’ve still got some of it left.

£85 a week in 1997 first year apprentice, gave £20 to my mum, took my girlfriend out to the cinema and MacDonald’s with the rest.

£85 a week in 1997 first year apprentice, gave £20 to my mum, took my girlfriend out to the cinema and MacDonald’s with the rest.
My board was a fiver . When it got to 20 I moved out lol. Though to be fair I got value for my money. Never even opened my curtains. Breakfast on table and tea when I got home. Bath run while i was eating and kf it was still to hot i.d come out and my mam would go in and cool it

£33 in 1983 and that was with travelling time. It came in a little brown envelope every Thursday £10 to my mum and the rest for me. At the time dole money was £16 a week.

1982 first time paid in a pay packet. Yts £25 £10 Keep money pissed the rest up £5 covered a good night out back then but a bit of ducking n diving topped up enough for skint Monday to Friday.

£25 a week yts went up to £26.50 a few weeks later.
Went to work with my old man a few months later February 1982 £40 a week ran a car went clubbing Friday and Saturday,Sunday I was skint
Happy days
Thought it was £23.50 a week?

When did yts run from
Came in 1983 the year I left school, got offered a few yts schemes by the careers office but knocked them back and luckily in the October got an actual apprenticeship. It was called yop before that it.

Came in 1983 the year I left school, got offered a few yts schemes by the careers office but knocked them back and luckily in the October got an actual apprenticeship. It was called yop before that it.
I left school in 1992 I think.. they must of ended bout 98

just looked it up on google and you are correct, apparentley we we known as yoppies.

Still got my first pay slip up in the loft somewhere I think, July 1980 £33:50 per week before off takes including tool money.

we got a silling a week tool money 1965 but had to be in the union
Union subs did not start until I turned 18, we were never given tool money they supplied what tools we wanted and deducted the money 30 bob a week. You also had to be an apprentice for 2 years and be over 18 before you could get bonus.

Union subs did not start until I turned 18, we were never given tool money they supplied what tools we wanted and deducted the money 30 bob a week. You also had to be an apprentice for 2 years and be over 18 before you could get bonus.
once asked the boss about bonus he said its near Windamere

just looked it up on google and you are correct, apparentley we we known as yoppies.
Yoppers up here, in a derogatory way, cheap labour that usually got dropped when scheme was over. That's why I didn't want to go on the yts schemes I was offered. The boys that joined the firm I served my time with that were yts all got dropped bar 1.

Yes cheap labour only did 3 months at it repairing cars,but mainly making tea going the shop and sweeping up,they used the system and everyone that worked there on the scheme never got a job.Thats when when my old man took me on which was a natural progression as i used to work with him at weekends and school holidays.