rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought living in harrogate was a plus earning 150 to 160 aday sounds like I need to move areas. If I priced jobs at 200 / 300 aday I would have customers ringing me saying can I have a job I think I fudged up been a doctor

My mates been in Christchurch for over a year @Rigsby. They had the earthquake 3 years ago and it's created a lot of work 20 years minimum. He said within reason you can name your price. The weathers good the lifestyles good. I'd be there myself if the mrs wasn't so stubborn about leaving her parents behind.

That's bollox mate, ChCh rebuild is swamped with Chinese and phillipenoes labour working 12/14 hour days living in shared accommodation, plenty of work but the most you'll earn is $30nzd per hour which is £15 per hour (and if the £ continues to rise it will drop more)

the weathers good from dec to march, the rest of the time is smashes it down with rain.

the lifestyle is ok, but very isolated and expensive, 6 bottle of becks cost me $18ndz.

believe me, I chose not to go after spending a few months there, had 5 job offers, 2 on tools but it's not the utopia people believe, the houses are shockingly overpriced with no gas or insulation and many suffer from leaky home syndrome, poorly build, full of condensation and rotting from the inside out.

things cost a lot of money because they don't manufacture anything, everything is imported, I thing the only render manufacturer out there is STO, says it all really.

That's bollox mate, ChCh rebuild is swamped with Chinese and phillipenoes labour working 12/14 hour days living in shared accommodation, plenty of work but the most you'll earn is $30nzd per hour which is £15 per hour (and if the £ continues to rise it will drop more)

the weathers good from dec to march, the rest of the time is smashes it down with rain.

the lifestyle is ok, but very isolated and expensive, 6 bottle of becks cost me $18ndz.

believe me, I chose not to go after spending a few months there, had 5 job offers, 2 on tools but it's not the utopia people believe, the houses are shockingly overpriced with no gas or insulation and many suffer from leaky home syndrome, poorly build, full of condensation and rotting from the inside out.

things cost a lot of money because they don't manufacture anything, everything is imported, I thing the only render manufacturer out there is STO, says it all really.

Well you burst that bubble didn't you. Lol obviously I'm not there so don't know all the ins and outs. They seem to like it so good for them. He's worked for a Brazilian firm for a week and walked off mid wall because they where making it up as they go along. He reckons but could be blagging it he's on £19 an hour with a company vehicle and 6 weeks holiday and 2 week shut down at Christmas. But you've been so I can't comment.

Sorry cranny, didn't mean to be sharpe with the reply.

i have seen lads go out there hoping for the dream, lose a lot of money and struggle to get back.

people tend to lump aus and nz into the same category, truth is wages are 40% higher in aus while cost of living is more in nz.

done it myself went out looking for the dream, it's a very isolated place and commuting 2 hours to the next town everyday to work isn't out of the ordinary, don't get me wrong a good life is a achievable but its fooking hard work.

Sorry cranny, didn't mean to be sharpe with the reply.

i have seen lads go out there hoping for the dream, lose a lot of money and struggle to get back.

people tend to lump aus and nz into the same category, truth is wages are 40% higher in aus while cost of living is more in nz.

done it myself went out looking for the dream, it's a very isolated place and commuting 2 hours to the next town everyday to work isn't out of the ordinary, don't get me wrong a good life is a achievable but its fooking hard work.

When I was out there you never saw a builder. They just don't have the home improvement market like we do. I did go into a dry lining merchants and contractors yard for a chat. Yes they travel miles to do a job. But there again I would not want to be a builder out there, something more local.

Yes NZ's economy is poorer than Oz but if you can live and work there much better climate imo. Come winning the big one on the Lotto thats where my winter retirement would be.

When I was out there you never saw a builder. They just don't have the home improvement market like we do. I did go into a dry lining merchants and contractors yard for a chat. Yes they travel miles to do a job. But there again I would not want to be a builder out there, something more local.

Yes NZ's economy is poorer than Oz but if you can live and work there much better climate imo. Come winning the big one on the Lotto thats where my winter retirement would be.

The climates a myth @Rigsby it doesn't drop to the bitter cold we get in the UK but it lashes it down for a good 7-8 months of a year.

i saw the chch rebuild and spoke to several contracts managers and was personally told, on site, I'd struggle like hell, to make a living as the Chinese were smashing it.

the domestic market out there is virtually none existent because the standard of work is poor and diy is pushed heavily, rendering I think STO have a branch in auckland but I don't need to tell you what STO charge, lots of external weather shield board out there, pre fab stuff, plastic stuff.

in no way do I mean to sound patronising, especially to you, but I went took the rose tinted spectacles off after a week and lived as a resident, with residents doing as residents do, it's not all BBQs and beer like some would have you believe, it's bloody hard and a nice view doesn't pay a $350,000 mortgage.

the housing standards did it for me though, very poor, no insulation and many don't even have double glazing, no way would I invest 25 years to pay for something that would deteriorate as quick as housing out there, timber frame, wood and water don't mix, we all know that on here.

its a good place to retire, but it's also a cold, damp & dark corner of the world I'm not interested in yet.

i was offered work as a trainee QS out there with 3 separate outfits, potentially earning $70,000nzd when I was fully qualified, but it's long, hard work and if I ever returned to the UK with said experience it would have counted for nothing as the UK doesn't recognise nz QS accreditation, a friend of mine, a contracts manager in Wellington for Alpha interiors had an interview in London and they turned him away with the reason "things are a bit behind in NZ, you wouldn't fit in over here in the UK now"

nice place, if your ready to pay, roll over and see the rest of your life out in isolation

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as you protest @Rigsby you fookin love the rat race here, keeps you on your toes and interested in the game.

with all due respect :rolleyes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.