rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you rigsby, but it doesn't have to be like that regarding how you plasterers present themselves.

I win a lot of my work not because I'm the cheapest, because I'm not, but because I put the effort in, I put a clean polo on with company logo, I don't use my van to price work up, very rarely I price jobs on my way home from work because I look a scruffy ****, take a lot of care in how I present myself to customers.

you do get the Jack the lads, who (thankfuck) I don't have to work near anymore, talking bollox, I can do this I can do that, I had one with me, thick as fook, I asked him if he could rule render, he said yes and 10m of mono ended on floor mixed with mud, his excuse, the straight edge wasn't right, he just didn't have the balls to admit it and let me show him.

its not just about turning up and chucking $hit on wall, gobbing off and acting a c**t anymore.

Why wouldn't you turn up in your van,many times I've priced jobs on the way home and got the job because they know I've been working and they said the other ones who priced it didn't look like plasterers

Sole-traders don't treat themselves as a company trying to create profit and re-invest in the company (vans/tools/training)

Well that's where I probably differ to others, I'm a sole trader but I treat myself as a business/company and work towards expanding all the time.

i have a decent website, a decent name, own outright 2 newish vehicles sign written up, approved by 3 render manufacturers (properly), paid for training 2 mm30s got hilti guns, Bosch 5kg breakers, proper tools that cost a lot of dough.

I don't earn millions but I do ok, ok enough to buy myself a house, been hard but it will be worth it, if not, fook it, least I tried.

have a double garage converted into 8 bays to try new renders on, things I haven't used before to see what they set like, get use to different gear.

constantly looking into new ways to bring work in, constantly looking at new products & how they work.

i get invitations to tender commercial work a lot but don't want site work, I'd rather Jack.

eventually when I have enough work to employ somebody full time, drip feed every aspect I know and will learn in the next few years and take it from there.

im not interested in sitting back earning £xxx I want to push on, I'm probably not the best plasterer or renderer, but I ain't gunna sit back and not give it a go, you get out what you put in.

Last edited:
one of the most eye opening threads in a long time...

Prices are always a sore subject but have to agree, renderers are taking plastering to a different league and you see a lot more plasterers working better at pr and marketing... @Wezly has showed that being ocd with cleanliness works wonders :) Have you seen his van????

I agree!!! I get as much work from being clean as I do the quality of work. That's not to say my work isn't to a good standard but people have the perception all plasterers go in, blitz the place and walk out leaving it looking like a building site. Not me, can't work in a mess and leave it like I'd want someone to leave my own house.
As for my van, simple but stylish sign writing and well organised and clean inside and out. Who wants what looks like a scrap van sat outside their house??!!!
I can something when I need it as it has its place. Easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
well.......all I can say is thank god the wife works!!!!

at least that's 1 decent/reliable wage that hits the bank account every month with pension subs!!!:RpS_thumbup:

Well that's where I probably differ to others, I'm a sole trader but I treat myself as a business/company and work towards expanding all the time.

i have a decent website, a decent name, own outright 2 newish vehicles sign written up, approved by 3 render manufacturers (properly), paid for training 2 mm30s got hilti guns, Bosch 5kg breakers, proper tools that cost a lot of dough.

I don't earn millions but I do ok, ok enough to buy myself a house, been hard but it will be worth it, if not, fook it, least I tried.

have a double garage converted into 8 bays to try new renders on, things I haven't used before to see what they set like, get use to different gear.

constantly looking into new ways to bring work in, constantly looking at new products & how they work.

i get invitations to tender commercial work a lot but don't want site work, I'd rather Jack.

eventually when I have enough work to employ somebody full time, drip feed every aspect I know and will learn in the next few years and take it from there.

im not interested in sitting back earning £xxx I want to push on, I'm probably not the best plasterer or renderer, but I ain't gunna sit back and not give it a go, you get out what you put in.

good luck to yer mac:RpS_thumbup:

the 1 thing I will say is crack on as much as you can with it all before starting a family as kids don't half kill your enthusiasm and drain you energy and surplus money/opportunity's!

I wouldn't have kids until I was in a position to pay for the fookers.

im not bragging or being big headed, don't wish to come across that way.

But you can earn decent money, by working smart

I wouldn't have kids until I was in a position to pay for the fookers.

im not bragging or being big headed, don't wish to come across that way.

But you can earn decent money, by working smart

Like Owls once quoted, 'Don't work hard, work smart".

When you get older you have to work smarter to survive. Get the others to hack off and do all the carrying. I now try to just get machine work, the thought of slapping mud on a wall with a trowel scares me.

Save your joints!

Like Owls once quoted, 'Don't work hard, work smart".

When you get older you have to work smarter to survive. Get the others to hack off and do all the carrying. I now try to just get machine work, the thought of slapping mud on a wall with a trowel scares me.

Save your joints!

Yeah I heard that about 10 years ago, problem is with others I don't trust others, got a couple who come subby to me 1 40+ other about 50, couple of labourers who I don't think would make the transition smoothly, nice guys I have a lot of respect for them and I hope they don't try and fook me over like others my age have done in the past.

ha and then you get to ltd corporation tax and vat and employing people, multipull decent projects on the go.
then getting sleepless nights not worrying about you getting paid, but worrying about how your going to pay other lads.

ha and then you get to ltd corporation tax and vat and employing people, multipull decent projects on the go.
then getting sleepless nights not worrying about you getting paid, but worrying about how your going to pay other lads.

Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, if I come to it.

at the minute, keep plodding on doing what im doing, iv used the winter, quieter times this last 3 months to good effect priced a few ewi jobs, if I get 2/3 this year and an increase in mono to 7/8 then I'll be well happy.

Took your advice though from a few years ago when I was moaning about plastering and you told me to do something about it :RpS_biggrin:

Last September I looked at a Mono rough cast job,the customer said he had already had a price of £2000 off some eastern lads. The measure was 95 metres ,so I said let em crack on. I came back to see the work and it was mint,apparently 8 lads turned out beading,masking setting up the machine etc and knocked it out in the day,all with a Diesel pump.
I can't and don't want to compete with that.

you got to diversify.. very few become rich plastering... not now with all the coursers knocking about...

I'm in between sites at the moment and checking some firms I worked for previously for work, I came across this from a firm near London, it's an App for rates !! what it does is basically open the surveyors book for anyone to see with measurements for areas and corresponding prices, not heard of such a thing, good idea I reckon. http://www.stanmoreltd.co.uk/news.php?id=28

no it's for people who are working for them at that time, they send a code to access it if you ask them for it, I think it shows you the technical drawings for areas and breaks the prices down accordingly, like a surveyor would see, good idea, spose the rates are given to you or you measure it yourself.

I was a moron on site for 20+ yrs, now I,m a moron not on site, ooh lala. I can say emphatically I ended up on this forum by accident really whilst looking for a new trowel choice, and not to pick anyones brains at all although I have seen a few tips that may be helpful in the future , just like reading the banter to honest:RpS_biggrin:.

I run a small render company with 3 of us most of the time and sometimes using the odd subbie if things get a little bit busy,but to be honest I earn more money with just 1 gang,we do work for small builders and private clients and it can be controlled nicely ,site bashed for years before starting a company and it always provided a good ish living but was bloody hard work ,I think to earn a descent wage from this game you have to be in control of what your doing,get a good rep,and alway treat each job like it's your own house.Like it said above work SMART lads

I run a small render company with 3 of us most of the time and sometimes using the odd subbie if things get a little bit busy,but to be honest I earn more money with just 1 gang,we do work for small builders and private clients and it can be controlled nicely ,site bashed for years before starting a company and it always provided a good ish living but was bloody hard work ,I think to earn a descent wage from this game you have to be in control of what your doing,get a good rep,and alway treat each job like it's your own house.Like it said above work SMART lads

ditto,
i had 8 of us at one point = 3 gangs, and now 4 plus subbies yet i make a better living with 4 than 8, due to less fixed overheads plus you get more than 5 on your books your insurance goes through the roof plus you need a designated trained first aider etc.

I agree owls we also had more guys last year but no one cares like you do it's just hassle you spend most of your time running around,dealing with snags ect so your own productive time gos down we're just doing one house at a time with every gang member doing there bit and me taking the odd day away to do paperwork.and price
it works for us but maybe not everyone.

ditto,
i had 8 of us at one point = 3 gangs, and now 4 plus subbies yet i make a better living with 4 than 8, due to less fixed overheads plus you get more than 5 on your books your insurance goes through the roof plus you need a designated trained first aider etc.

Thats me. I have to go on refresher course every 3 years. But drive past a road accident and if someone else is giving first aid I carry on. Always have a first aid in the boot though.

I was practising cpr on my lab day before a refresher course and someone got off a passing bus to offer help. Thought he had had a heart attack lol.

Thats me. I have to go on refresher course every 3 years. But drive past a road accident and if someone else is giving first aid I carry on. Always have a first aid in the boot though.

I was practising cpr on my lab day before a refresher course and someone got off a passing bus to offer help. Thought he had had a heart attack lol.

are you sure you were practicing cpr with your lab, your odd types down there in south Yorkshire. :RpS_unsure:

I agree owls we also had more guys last year but no one cares like you do it's just hassle you spend most of your time running around,dealing with snags ect so your own productive time gos down we're just doing one house at a time with every gang member doing there bit and me taking the odd day away to do paperwork.and price
it works for us but maybe not everyone.

that's the stage I was at, I suppose you get to that level and you push on and build it up, but I never did.
but yes the hasstle is unbelievable and as you say your not making a wage yourself as your off the tools, you have one lad off more aless at any given time, or a week of rain etc and your all sat around scratching your arse. in better weather you make serious money but bad weather you loose serious money, 30 grand plus cash flow to tide you over.
I might build it up again some day as fortunately im in my mid 30's and have time on my side, but at present im not arsed with it and the agro.

It's what we do us Brits'its too hot! It's to cold! To wet! To dry!' Etc,etc.....but where would us and it's forum be without it?it would be quite a dull place if you think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.