Question about bondit/scratch coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuttle86

Hi all,

On Friday at college I started a module in which I had to use bonding plaster for the first time. It was 2 bond it coats/ 2 multi on (internal) painted brick wall surface.

I forgot to write notes as I did it and I'm now a bit confused about the scratch coat and PVA. I know its so the bonding or multi can stick to the surface but not sure where it fits in between layers.

Is this the method?

1. Apply neat PVA to internal brick wall surface
2. Measure and use spirit level to attach the beading (with temporary screws)
3. Dry mix the bonding
4. Apply Bottom coat
5. PVA
6. Apply scratch coat?
7. Multi finish under coat
8. Multi top coat
9. Wet trowel

Thanks in advance!

P.s be kind lads and ladies I've only been doing this 3 weeks! :RpS_crying:

I have had 3 apprentices in the past 5 years they have all been taught by guys that are not time served.
By the sounds of it that sounds like it is happening to you.

Fckin hell no hope for the future...

What utter nonsense!

1 use a grit based primer left for 24 hours

2 bed float beads on with the bonding using a level

3 apply BG Bonding in 2 passes to achieve an overall thickness of between 9-11mm

4 (plumb, dot, screed or whatever they teach you in college ) Rule

5 scratch with a devil float, close in the surface

6 skim with multi finish (if left overnight then possibly PVA and skim dependant on suction)

Last edited:

What utter nonsense!

3 apply BG Bonding in 2 passes to achieve an overall thickness of between 9-11mm

6 skim with multi finish (if left overnight then possibly PVA and skim dependant on suction)

Well said.i couldn't be bothered to write all that ben!!!

I think this is happening more and more to be honest I had 2 tutors at college one was 25 started teaching at 21, the other was 52 was timeserved been in trade 30 odd years apparently, and they didn't teach us hardly anything apart from internal stuff @tuttle86 your scratch coat is your first backing coat on the wall mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

What utter nonsense!

you have got a lot of weight hanging on paint.
i would cover the wall with eml then plaster.

No offence to cowen but i think he could be the same , and that list may help him alot to !

I've been getting taught that way though it never hurts to see it again. Haven't done it much like - only just covering it now. I'd like to think there are a lot of good teachers out there, if I ever sound like an idiot I hope people blame me not the course!

I don't take any offence at all either :D I've thicker skin than a bull.

The plastering apprentices our firm had when they came to us had used multi the grand total of..... Once. All they did was render never even cut a board they were literally clueless it was like starting from scratch. Makes a joke out of the qualifications as they were close to passing at this point.

The plastering apprentices our firm had when they came to us had used multi the grand total of..... Once. All they did was render never even cut a board they were literally clueless it was like starting from scratch. Makes a joke out of the qualifications as they were close to passing at this point.

Bloody hell, its all internal where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.