Problem with a Plaster ceiling I just hired out... Any advise?

Members online

DJhumvee

OK so I am a General Contractor but I don't do plaster, I've been working on my own home for about 7 years on and off and I have a 24 x 28 foot great room that I wanted a plaster smooth/flat finish on the ceiling.

I put the dark blue/purple gypsum board up meant for coating with plaster on the ceiling about 5 years ago. When the plaster guy came to give me a price he asked where I bought it and how long ago and when I told him he informed me that the particular brand of board I used usually sucks up the moisture out of the plaster and that he would have to have another guy help him aside from the one helper he has now.

The day before he showed up to do the work I asked him if he wanted the heat turned down or off and he said no I can leave it where it is. He called me about 6 hours later and told me that the board had sucked up the moister from the plaster so fast he couldn't even smooth it out so he was going to have to skim coat the plaster with joint compound. He said this was due to the fact that it had been up for 5 years and that the gypsum board for plaster should be installed and plastered within about 2-3 month not 5 years, he never mentioned this when I told him how long the board had been up when he first looked at the job.

So he came back 2 days later and skimmed the ceiling with all purpose joint compound came back and sanded and put more on and sanded one more time. The finish I was left with was horrible but that is not why I am posting this.

I started going over the ceiling with a straight edge to mark all the high spots so that I could skim the ceiling myself to get it flat because it was so wavy but I started noticing hairline cracks coming off of every single recessed light I had in the ceiling, then I started noticing other hairline cracks that went about the entire length of the room and they line up approximately where the tapered joints would be. I'm guessing there is no way to really fix this and the only thing to do would be to gut the ceiling and start over?

I am thinking that since the moisture was sucked out of the plaster so fast it cracked where ever it was the thickest (which would be the tapered joints). Also IMHO as soon as the plaster guy realized he was having this problem he should have called me to let me know to see if I wanted him to continue or not, I would have gladly told him to stop and I would have paid him for his troubles. Should I at least call this guy back and show him all the cracks and tell him he kind of should have stopped when he ran into problems and see what he is willing to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Old boards can make life difficult, your plasterer could have used something to control the suction
If it's winky wonky, rip it out start again

Are you a general contractor or not ? If you are you would know the answer to your question.

So the guy is struggling and you want him to phone you lol, I'm guessing he was a bit busy.

Are you a general contractor or not ? If you are you would know the answer to your question.

So the guy is struggling and you want him to phone you lol, I'm guessing he was a bit busy.
Yes, I am a general contractor, doesn't mean I am an expert in fields I have no experience, I am also not a big outfit with 50 employees, it me and 2 other guys. If I went to pour a foundation but I noticed the forms were falling apart as soon as I started you think I should continue? Let's be realistic here pal..

OK so I am a General Contractor but I don't do plaster, I've been working on my own home for about 7 years on and off and I have a 24 x 28 foot great room that I wanted a plaster smooth/flat finish on the ceiling. I put the dark blue/purple gypsum board up meant for coating with plaster on the ceiling about 5 years ago. When the plaster guy came to give me a price he asked where I bought it and how long ago and when I told him he informed me that the particular brand of board I used usually sucks up the moisture out of the plaster and that he would have to have another guy help him aside from the one helper he has now. The day before he showed up to do the work I asked him if he wanted the heat turned down or off and he said no I can leave it where it is. He called me about 6 hours later and told me that the board had sucked up the moister from the plaster so fast he couldn't even smooth it out so he was going to have to skim coat the plaster with joint compound. He said this was due to the fact that it had been up for 5 years and that the gypsum board for plaster should be installed and plastered within about 2-3 month not 5 years, he never mentioned this when I told him how long the board had been up when he first looked at the job. So he came back 2 days later and skimmed the ceiling with all purpose joint compound came back and sanded and put more on and sanded one more time. The finish I was left with was horrible but that is not why I am posting this. I started going over the ceiling with a straight edge to mark all the high spots so that I could skim the ceiling myself to get it flat because it was so wavy but I started noticing hairline cracks coming off of every single recessed light I had in the ceiling, then I started noticing other hairline cracks that went about the entire length of the room and they line up approximately where the tapered joints would be. I'm guessing there is no way to really fix this and the only thing to do would be to gut the ceiling and start over? I am thinking that since the moisture was sucked out of the plaster so fast it cracked where ever it was the thickest (which would be the tapered joints). Also IMHO as soon as the plaster guy realized he was having this problem he should have called me to let me know to see if I wanted him to continue or not, I would have gladly told him to stop and I would have paid him for his troubles. Should I at least call this guy back and show him all the cracks and tell him he kind of should have stopped when he ran into problems and see what he is willing to do?
:rolleyes:

Any decent spread would have prepped the boards properly and sealed them first. I'm surprised this scenario has been posted as it's common sense what to do next imo?

Any decent spread would have prepped the boards properly and sealed them first. I'm surprised this scenario has been posted as it's common sense what to do next imo?
I agree that it's common sense, just needed to hear it from someone else...

It's fooked. Taken moisture out before its gone hard, will be weak. 2 plasterers didn't see this coming? I reckon you need to re board it and you know it. Not really sure I would trust that plasterer to skim it though.

Should of been primed to sort out the suction because the boards had been up so long. Your best bet is to overboard the ceiling and skim again, you can pre-grit the ceiling and reskim but you need to tape every joint aswell if you can work out where they are. You say you mentioned the length of time they had been up so the plasterer should of known to prime it, if he didn't he would of known within two minutes of applying the plaster that there was too much suction.

It's fooked. Taken moisture out before its gone hard, will be weak. 2 plasterers didn't see this coming? I reckon you need to re board it and you know it. Not really sure I would trust that plasterer to skim it though.
I have another guy I typically use for plaster but he was booked until may, I have seen the work the guy I hired this time does and it is good and he was able to come within 2 weeks of calling so I decided to give him a try... I probably gut the ceiling and to make me feel better about it I'll do a modern concept stepped ceiling with indirect led strip lighting...

Yes, I am a general contractor, doesn't mean I am an expert in fields I have no experience, I am also not a big outfit with 50 employees, it me and 2 other guys. If I went to pour a foundation but I noticed the forms were falling apart as soon as I started you think I should continue? Let's be realistic here pal..
He doesn't do realistic mate

I have another guy I typically use for plaster but he was booked until may, I have seen the work the guy I hired this time does and it is good and he was able to come within 2 weeks of calling so I decided to give him a try... I probably gut the ceiling and to make me feel better about it I'll do a modern concept stepped ceiling with indirect led strip lighting...
Go the whole hog and install a lap dance pole too (y)

Overboard and skim. The plasterer pointed out that they were old boards but did nothing about it, go figure. Could also pva and reskim bedding render mesh into first coat over whole lot, but certainly not by the guy that did it originally

if he didn't he would of known within two minutes of applying the plaster that there was too much suction.

Which is exactly why I said in my original post that he should have stopped and called me. But apparently someone got a little butt-hurt and thought it would have been ridiculous to stop and call me because he would have been to busy "struggling" at ruining my ceiling to "phone" me..

As flynnyman said you could overboard it.

This type of thing I hear a lot of late the biggest problem is people think they can plaster because they watched some you tube videos :bananahappy:

I've come across a lot of people taking years and years to do up properties.
Most are perfectionit's and over think everything meanwhile forgetting its supposed to be a family home and the children don't care they just want mommy and daddy to spend time with them.
Not suggesting your project is like this though.

This type of thing I hear a lot of late the biggest problem is people think they can plaster because they watched some you tube videos :bananahappy:
He's been doing it for over 20 years and he works with his father whom has done it 20 years before him. Like I said I've seen his work and it is good but I think when he ran into problems he tried to push through it instead of stopping and figuring out how to overcome the problem..

I've come across a lot of people taking years and years to do up properties.
Most are perfectionit's and over think everything meanwhile forgetting its supposed to be a family home and the children don't care they just want mommy and daddy to spend time with them.
Not suggesting your project is like this though.

sometimes i just want a hug aswell
:cry:

Skimming over boards that have been up ages is a nightmare. A good spread would spot they've been up a long time,they've got an I've been up ages look about them

Jesus!!!

Give me F*****g strength going to go on forum melt down if I read another 1 of these threads!!!!

I'm out!!!!

Did you only get one of quote? If you had got three, I would expect one of them to pick up on this when they looked, and mentioned extra to prime it.
Yeah just one quote, there aren't many plasterers around here so I didn't have a lot of options and I don't like to have someone work for me unless I've seen there work before, I've seen this guys work on other house that I've worked on and it was pretty good...

Yeah just one quote, there aren't many plasterers around here so I didn't have a lot of options and I don't like to have someone work for me unless I've seen there work before, I've seen this guys work on other house that I've worked on and it was pretty good...
He should be able to fix it easy enough, maybe offer him a compromise, you overboard it and he reskims it for free?

Where abouts are you? I feel a move coming on if there's no plasterers! ;)