Prepairing room

brendanmu

I have just purchased my first home and have stripped out the kitchen, which has involved removing wall tiles, discovering holes from all previous sockets, installing 10mm copper pipes in paramount / honeycomb board.

I am not a plasterer but I want to prep the room as best I can.

After reading a fair amount on the internet there seems to be many opinions on the best way to prep.

For example, I need to fill some socket holes - the wall is dot & dab onto concrete blocks. I have read some people would just use bonding direct, others say dot and dab some plaster first and some say use hardwall first.

With the copper pipes in the wall, the void is somewhere around 40mm (from memory). I have put some very thin 6mm wall lagging around the pipes to protect the pipes from the plaster. Again after reading it seems most would use bonding to fill this up.

Where the tiles have been removed, of course part of the existing plaster has come away so there are the odd patches with depths of a few millimeters. What would be best for this or should I expect the plasterer to deal with that on the day?

Any advise would be much appreciated

Sounds like an ideal customer, I'd say concentrate on getting any last bits of paper off the surface and make sure the bonding is flush sometimes a little scrape is needed , also clean any crap off window and door frames , I.e silicone sealant and tile grout
And leave all the room totally free of anything, clear floor space, no beds , furniture or sofas and don't order bathroom and kitchen delivery till it's all done

Hi Vincey, many thanks for your reply. I often over think these things - but I just think if I can then I might as well over prep it to get the best finish. Regarding the bonding, one thing I wasn't sure about is if it is really the right thing for me to use - I have read that you shouldn't bond way before plastering (days) as it sucks in the plaster - the plasterer will be applying PVA before hand though. I guess, we are talking very small, thin coats of bonding so it shouldn't suck in too much?

Why not pva it yourself over then bonding? Buy a small tub from wickes or wherever and just spot pva the bonding if your worried. Your plasterer will know the crack (should know) anyway

Every thing vincey said except please don't bond anything as it will sit proud and need hacked off and don't Pva as we like to adjust strength and know it's all been covered. Plasterer would sort all that out in no time.
Personally I find jobs half prepped more of an annoyance, just let the plasterer sort it all out.

Thanks for the support all.

obviously I will fill deep holes like old sockets - so I will do my best to make sure they are flush. For this I was going to use thistle bonding or bonding 60.

Are you saying with the imperfections in the existing plaster e.g. where the tiles ripped parts of plaster off when removing.... just to leave it for the plasterer to sort out?

Regarding PVA - I wasn't going to PVA myself as I think the plasterer will do that himself.

I just don't want to be one of those annoying customers who leaves the place in a right mess.... but I see that I could be too far the other way.

Cheers!

Best thing to do is get your plasterer over to look at the job and discuss what he would like prepped.
Very good of you to do it , most wouldnt even clean the room out :)
But dont stress about it , take you an hour to fill a few holes flush and take us 2 minutes so dont worry about it