Poor Plasterers

Not as expensive as I thought the pay that for a bloody semi here but that would have to be some extension to put ninety grand on the value

I don't think I've done an extension for less than £60k in the last seven or eight years. Like I say though, I haven't done a 'box on the back' job in that time either.

I don't think I've done an extension for less than £60k in the last seven or eight years. Like I say though, I haven't done a 'box on the back' job in that time either.
I do get that but unless the owner buys the house at a good price surely they will never get all the money back apart from as a general rise in house prices which they would get any way, after all it would be the same house in the same street all be it bigger

It may do. If you're working 48 weeks in a year at £1,500 that puts your turn over at £72k. If you add £100 a day for a rise in materials and or labour that takes you to £96k which is £11k over the threshold for VAT registration.

Obviously I don't know what your turn over is, but it bears keeping an eye on.

No, because when needed I place an order customer phones up and pays for it, thus keeping it off my books

I do get that but unless the owner buys the house at a good price surely they will never get all the money back apart from as a general rise in house prices which they would get any way, after all it would be the same house in the same street all be it bigger

There's loads of reasons people do it I suppose. A lot of the housing stock round here is from the inter war and post war building boom. They all have small kitchens which doesn't work for modern living. Sometimes it's because extending a 3 bed is much cheaper than buying a 4 bed in the same area but the house ends up a similar value. Others just don't want to move and can afford to make the house better/nicer.

There's loads of reasons people do it I suppose. A lot of the housing stock round here is from the inter war and post war building boom. They all have small kitchens which doesn't work for modern living. Sometimes it's because extending a 3 bed is much cheaper than buying a 4 bed in the same area but the house ends up a similar value. Others just don't want to move and can afford to make the house better/nicer.
People are extending more here in the south east now maybe because house prices are starting to drop, in the street where I live twenty grand has gone from the asking price since september

how much was the kitchen/roof/groundworks ??? thats where the cost is on extensions.
i bet the plastering tiling plumbing scaffs sparks painting joinery etc was cheaper.

gotta disagree with you @algeeman, my point is that every self employed person should be a business, and then everything I've said applies.
I think your point is that the main contractors are advocating their workers be self employed coz' its less hassle for them, this has become the norm now and does work if you sub-contract long term for a decent contractor, and can be profitable.
If you move about, site work,. domestic to and fro, or you take on bigger jobs, you need to be more "business" focussed...and that's where everything I've said applies.

if your serious about being self employed as a business as to making good money ...you need people to work for you.
you can only do so much alone.
now your not self employed anymore but an employee.
which is a differnt.

All this 'if materials go up I'll just put my prices up' baffles me.
If Mrs Smith will be happy to just pay an extra £20, then why the hell aren't you already charging £20 more?

If Mrs Smith will be happy to just pay an extra £20, then why the hell aren't you already charging £20 more?

How does it baffle you, materials cost what they cost no matter who is doing the job.

I find domestic jobs to be uneconomical these days , builders pay me more , I am doing two ceilings,over board and set with the usual covering and moving of furniture and they are kicking off, £300 a ceiling I charged them ,you can on,y do one a day , years ago private work was better than builders work , ps it's not Mrs smith,its tight arse mr Casey

So if she would be happy to pay £20 more why aren't you already charging £20 more?

if the cost of materials go up then in order for the job to be carried out they need paying for, so unless any customer meets the required cost then no work will be carried out.
We are not talking labour cost here we are talking material cost.

Glad I very very rarely have to price jobs . Got bout 5 builders I just float between . They call me work a date n turn up on day rate . Life’s sweet . Always busy as I,m in semi retirement now with having a little en at 40

I don't mind stuff going up, I just play them at there own game. Take fuel prices going up for instance, it doesnt effect me, Ive always put 30 quid in my van not a penny more, that will teach em...:nocausagracia:

There is so many different types of plasterers on here, the business pros, the site guys , the domestic dons , and the multitraders, the renderers,
What is everyone’s opinion on these prices today, my cousin flipped his lid today when he went to b&q, said they not even offering multi buy now either, most say you can’t get better prices in merchants, so is this the new prices for 2018.
BG always state that the merchants set the price so is this b and q setting the price for coming year or what
View attachment 20557
What’s a bag of unifinsh now ?hasn’t board finish stayed at £5 or lower

I don't mind stuff going up, I just play them at there own game. Take fuel prices going up for instance, it doesnt effect me, Ive always put 30 quid in my van not a penny more, that will teach em...:nocausagracia:
Funny enough i do exactly the same- contactless :D

Because sometimes you price fairly and what you think it’s worth without thinking I see if I can screw another few quid out of them

Don’t get why people seem to think it’s okay to screw customers over. What about word of mouth jobs that’s all we do wouldn’t f**k that up for 10 p or 10 quid

Don’t get why people seem to think it’s okay to screw customers over. What about word of mouth jobs that’s all we do wouldn’t f**k that up for 10 p or 10 quid

next job i price will be done with a balaclava and baseball bat.
hopefully il get a nice christmas tip
:)

I only hit hard if I know they are a c**t or come across as one
I'm not running a charity, my job as I see it, is to turn out high quality work and in turn earn as much money as possible.
I only ever price work before starting (usually well in advance and in writing) so I can't see how I can possibly be ripping off or screwing my clients. In fact more often than not I tell people at the outset that I'm not interested in being the cheapest. Also if I get every job that I price up then I'm too cheap.
As was mentioned elsewhere in another thread; I'm running a business and profit is the aim.

I'm not running a charity, my job as I see it, is to turn out high quality work and in turn earn as much money as possible.
I only ever price work before starting (usually well in advance and in writing) so I can't see how I can possibly be ripping off or screwing my clients. In fact more often than not I tell people at the outset that I'm not interested in being the cheapest. Also if I get every job that I price up then I'm too cheap.
As was mentioned elsewhere in another thread; I'm running a business and profit is the aim.
Yeah I agree but what I was saying was you give a price on what you think is fair you don’t go way over cos you feel like it you price a job on how you see it and if that means your more expensive so be it,wasn’t a pop more a generalisation

Yeah I agree but what I was saying was you give a price on what you think is fair you don’t go way over cos you feel like it you price a job on how you see it and if that means your more expensive so be it,wasn’t a pop more a generalisation
Do you you never think 'I've got so much work on I'll price this way high as I don't need it'? Honestly?
I bloody well have and often got the jobs.

Do you you never think 'I've got so much work on I'll price this way high as I don't need it's? Honestly?
Yes exactly I’ve gone in well high and got it and thought f sake,but then I’ve also priced a job at what I thought was fair and I’ve been undercut by 500 quid and I think how can they do for that

Do you you never think 'I've got so much work on I'll price this way high as I don't need it'? Honestly?
I always throw a few hundred on top so they tell the the poor c**t who does it how much I want, lol, piss them off throughout the job how much they think they should be getting and hopefully price similar next time upping the rates :)

Tbf it’s been a good thread , by the sounds of it most will be quoting nearly a grand a room in 2018 now

Happy New Year

If I want to screw customers I just go through their drawers and take anything valuable [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant blame bg 2much they ve the market cornered and can name their price cause the other gear out there is utter s**t!!! The other manufacturers out there need to pull their finger out and start putting gear out that we can actually use to do a good job and then we ll see some competative prices for materials until then we ve got to pay what they want

Always thought plaster was cheap compared to other trades, one bag does ten metres so about 60p a metre it's nothing. There are paints dearer, carpets, flooring, tiles and so on, what makes me laugh is the gear that's wasted from some guys I can honestly say I never throw a hand board of gear away apart from maybe sand and cement.

Cant blame bg 2much they ve the market cornered and can name their price cause the other gear out there is utter s**t!!! The other manufacturers out there need to pull their finger out and start putting gear out that we can actually use to do a good job and then we ll see some competative prices for materials until then we ve got to pay what they want

Don’t you like knauf pro roll then ?

What ever did happen to that lol