Poor Plasterers

Every self employed man is a business.
Every business has overheads.
Every business deserves a profit.
Every businessman has the right to set his profit at any rate he sees fit.
Every business will be subject to market forces, and every businessman should be aware of this.
Variables, are just that, variable.
Customers are king.......(plasterers are emperors, so we're alright).

All sorts, local council, companies but most of my work now is domestics. It's horses for courses I know, but if I'm quoting for an £80k extension then leaving myself open to taking a hit on £40k of materials would be daft.
I guess so bot 80 grand in Birmingham that’s some extension. Why do we say extension it implies it was, so surely it should be a stension

People work and think different, I couldn't give monkeys tbh, lost battle here with rates and prices.
Yes mate , agree! It’s about to get it right imho and it’s not down to be clever or pretending or whatever is called on here to keep your eyes and mind open. BG is increasing prices , higher than any other manufacturer and clearly taking cut off your earnings, but you don’t care, you cover the price difference but not your loss in labour. Personally I don’t mind and is not my problem how you deal with it, but making bold statements like it’s not your loss made me seeking answers, only to find my self on my own in the corner wondering. That’s all.

Yes mate , agree! It’s about to get it right imho and it’s not down to be clever or pretending or whatever is called on here to keep your eyes and mind open. BG is increasing prices , higher than any other manufacturer and clearly taking cut off your earnings, but you don’t care, you cover the price difference but not your loss in labour. Personally I don’t mind and is not my problem how you deal with it, but making bold statements like it’s not your loss made me seeking answers, only to find my self on my own in the corner wondering. That’s all.
That makes 2 of us then lol

Every self employed man is a business.
Every business has overheads.
Every business deserves a profit.
Every businessman has the right to set his profit at any rate he sees fit.
Every business will be subject to market forces, and every businessman should be aware of this.
Variables, are just that, variable.
Customers are king.......(plasterers are emperors, so we're alright).

sorry mate but thats a load of old tosh...."self employement" is a piss take.
all groundworkers and painters etc are self employed .
its an excuse to not pay you hols or sick pay.
and to lower your employee tax rate he pays you.

being self employed is a myth.
you always work for someone.

the only thing in our advantage is you get to stay in bed.
and lets be honest it doesnt pay or give you much of a "name".

In my world the customer pays for the materials and a little bit on top. I tend to put my own rates up every year too.
If some of you out there are so concerned about the cost of materials just give your customers a shopping list and get them to order the materials for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry mate but thats a load of old tosh...."self employement" is a piss take.
all groundworkers and painters etc are self employed .
its an excuse to not pay you hols or sick pay.
and to lower your employee tax rate he pays you.

being self employed is a myth.
you always work for someone.

the only thing in our advantage is you get to stay in bed.
and lets be honest it doesnt pay or give you much of a "name".
gotta disagree with you @algeeman, my point is that every self employed person should be a business, and then everything I've said applies.
I think your point is that the main contractors are advocating their workers be self employed coz' its less hassle for them, this has become the norm now and does work if you sub-contract long term for a decent contractor, and can be profitable.
If you move about, site work,. domestic to and fro, or you take on bigger jobs, you need to be more "business" focussed...and that's where everything I've said applies.

Isn’t that another term for fat lol

Big boned. Yes, that'll be it.

Poor Plasterers

I guess so bot 80 grand in Birmingham that’s some extension.

Not these days, admittedly I stick to the more fancy/complicated/posh end of things but with the price of houses now it's not hard to get to seventy or eighty grand.

Why do we say extension it implies it was, so surely it should be a stension

It's from the Latin extendere which means to stretch out.

Not these days, admittedly I stick to the more fancy/complicated/posh end of things but with the price of houses now it's not hard to get to seventy or eighty grand.

***** have form for that. Building £100k extensions in areas where you can only get £80k for the whole damn house.

And I thought the southeast was expensive.on the other bit it’s a good job people can’t stretch their house or we would be out of a job

And I thought the southeast was expensive.on the other bit it’s a good job people can’t stretch their house or we would be out of a job

Most estate agents will say a kitchen extension adds 20-25% to the value of a house. The one we're on at the moment they paid £450k house two years ago and it needed updating. The extension is £76k but it'll add £90k to the value. Obviously there's a maximum value for an, but it's a 4 bed detached inter-war in Solihull.

Most estate agents will say a kitchen extension adds 20-25% to the value of a house. The one we're on at the moment they paid £450k house two years ago and it needed updating. The extension is £76k but it'll add £90k to the value. Obviously there's a maximum value for an, but it's a 4 bed detached inter-war in Solihull.
Not as expensive as I thought the pay that for a bloody semi here but that would have to be some extension to put ninety grand on the value

material cost does not affect me and what I earn

It may do. If you're working 48 weeks in a year at £1,500 that puts your turn over at £72k. If you add £100 a day for a rise in materials and or labour that takes you to £96k which is £11k over the threshold for VAT registration.

Obviously I don't know what your turn over is, but it bears keeping an eye on.