Poor Plasterers

Is there a percentage we should aim for on profit of materials? My mate works for £120 a day and when I questioned him on that he said he sneaks in extra profit on the materials, he probably just saying that to save face after I questioned his cheap rate.

Is there a percentage we should aim for on profit of materials? My mate works for £120 a day and when I questioned him on that he said he sneaks in extra profit on the materials, he probably just saying that to save face after I questioned his cheap rate.

It can get complicated doing it that way, unnecessarily so IMHO. (Labour + materials) + profit = job price. So you get your wages and overheads (everyone works those out of course?) as the labour, materials are whatever they cost and the profit is usually 10 - 15% as profit for the company. Sole traders often forget that they still need to show an overall profit.

The only time I stick anything on materials is if I have to cover a warranty on it, a kitchen for example. 10% on each one supplied then covers me if I have to go back and fix something on one of them.

@Vincey the other day you said you was one of the smartest guys on here,but seemingly have not got a scooby when it comes to business and pricing

It’s amazes me that some don’t put nothing on materials.... If I could get away with 20% I probably would. I do get a good trade discount on a lot of things through my local merchant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad I.ve Seen this . Cant remember last time I bought a bag lol. If I had gone to price a job now i would have just gone on a fiver a bag thinking I was covering me sen

It’s amazes me that some don’t put nothing on materials.... If I could get away with 20% I probably would. I do get a good trade discount on a lot of things through my local merchant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't itemise anything. (say) £150/day plus £30 materiels = £180+20% = your price. £216

Job's a good un.

@Vincey the other day you said you was one of the smartest guys on here,but seemingly have not got a scooby when it comes to business and pricing
Gordon I’m not trying to win an argument about it all just generally discussing it , in the real world there is no denying it’s ok saying this and that about pricing etc most plasterers have ups and down it’s never always perfect,
I just priced a job for end of January all sorted and booked 2 days ago , going off them upped prices at b and q and the equivalent on the other materials I need I’d be at a big loss if my merchants followed suit in New Year

I just priced a job for end of January all sorted and booked 2 days ago , going off them upped prices at b and q and the equivalent on the other materials I need I’d be at a big loss if my merchants followed suit in New Year

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you either need to buy the materials before Christmas, or be prepared to take a hit. Construction materials price increases from 1st of January 2018 have been widely publicised.

http://buy.buildingmaterials.co.uk/priceincrease-jan2018

I use EH Smtih a lot and their release says :-

"
Industry Price Increases - Jan 2018
Cement & Aggregates - Average 6%
Concrete Lintels & Products - Average 6%
Roofing & Ventilation - Average 6%
Civils Average 7%
Building Chemicals & Sealants Average 8%
Dpm, Dpc & Membranes - Between 3-10%
Insulation & Plasterboard - Between 3-25%
Bricks - Between 3-7%
Landscaping - Between 3-7%
Steel Lintels & Metalwork - Between 4-10%
Plumbing And Heating - Between 4-12%
Fixing & Hardware - Between 4-12%
Timber - Between 4-9%
Tools - Between 5-8%
Blocks - Between 6-22%

Block Shortage
The block market issues continue due to domestic ash shortages. As stated above we are expecting to see cost increases of up to 22% on aerated blocks and ultra lightweight blocks; as a result we anticipate supply shortages.
"

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you either need to buy the materials before Christmas, or be prepared to take a hit. Construction materials price increases from 1st of January 2018 have been widely publicised.

"
Civils Average 7%
Bricks - Between 3-7%
Timber - Between 4-9%
Tools - Between 5-8%
Blocks - Between 6-22%

Block Shortage
The block market issues continue due to domestic ash shortages. As stated above we are expecting to see cost increases of up to 22% on aerated blocks and ultra lightweight blocks; as a result we anticipate supply shortages.
"
Thanks mate tbh this is useful and at least your honest
Some of the bullshit I reading on this thread off a few is unreal

To best of my knowledge plaster has gone up every January for the last 20yrs or am I missing something?

Thanks mate tbh this is useful and at least your honest
Some of the bullshit I reading on this thread off a few is unreal

If you or you and @Lodan have a fair bit coming up in Jan/Feb it'd probably pay to buy a pallet before Christmas. That'd give you chance to move the prices up as you go through the bags.

If say a 20p increase in multi per bag is going to hurt your business, then look for something else to do. This game isn’t for you.

Unifinish the builder provided today in a mid disaster day , we had two ceilings to skim in his sons house , I didn't get the message (voicemail I didn't listen to )to not start till 8.45 , so I turned up at 7.40 , he said it wouldn't be ready till 8.45 as he had a disabled kid so I said I'd wait (after I huffed a bit ) I was told the floors would be empty and covered , not the case, good carpet and they only had s**t sheets for dust , the ceiling was bowed and needed screwing as the old boards had only been nailed at the edges years back, I then informed him that the old ceiling had paper and s**t on it, so suggested an overboard with 9mm board which was agreed , I skimmed the new board with the unifinish,lovely gear but not for over old paper and adhesive and crap

I just paid £5.70 for a pallet of dab adhesive

If you bought less crap that you dont need pete you would have more money.:)
If i had my time again i would get into kitchens and bathroom fitting, multitrader!
Always add money onto materials.
Plaster and boards etc go up 7-15% every january.

[]
We don’t all just use one bag of skim a day Gordon
Why are you so thick princey,if you knew anything about the building trade,prices always increase in January ,you really are a t**t.How long have you been plastering for.How come you can’t tell us how much multi will cost in the future thought you had a direct line to BG,always on here telling us you can sort things out with a phone call to HQ.

[]

Why are you so thick princey,if you knew anything about the building trade,prices always increase in January ,you really are a t**t.How long have you been plastering for.How come you can’t tell us how much multi will cost in the future thought you had a direct line to BG,always on here telling us you can sort things out with a phone call to HQ.
Oh here he comes , right at the end of the thread , try starting your own threads or at least contribute something of value

All out abuse on Vince again. Oh dear.

Anyway, going back to the point , I keep my pricing simple as soon as it tips into the next pound, £6.20 for example it becomes £7 in my quote. Same for boards. I always charge £10 for PVA , although when doing single rooms a 5ltr tub ceili normally does 3 rooms. Same for screws and scrim. Charge full amount. This way, your next job or 2 will be covered for PVA, screws and scrim. This is referring typically to a standard 3.6m x 3.6m square room , overboard ceiling and reskim walls. A very popular job in my chain of work.

All out abuse on Vince again. Oh dear.

Anyway, going back to the point , I keep my pricing simple as soon as it tips into the next pound, £6.20 for example it becomes £7 in my quote. Same for boards. I always charge £10 for PVA , although when doing single rooms a 5ltr tub ceili normally does 3 rooms. Same for screws and scrim. Charge full amount. This way, your next job or 2 will be covered for PVA, screws and scrim. This is referring typically to a standard 3.6m x 3.6m square room , overboard ceiling and reskim walls. A very popular job in my chain of work.
Good old subsidence area, one of my top jobs too

"
Civils Average 7%
Bricks - Between 3-7%
Timber - Between 4-9%
Tools - Between 5-8%
Blocks - Between 6-22%

Block Shortage
"
You just ruined it all . I was about to ask Gordon in January if that has anything to do with brexit, but since we are on the theme.... @gps what’s your thought on this

Tried today Gordon ‘ s way , even scraped all the s**t from the floor. I think it turned ok tbh

3DC71401-4816-49D6-B135-715D25E29FA8.jpeg

You just ruined it all . I was about to ask Gordon in January if that has anything to do with brexit, but since we are on the theme.... @gps what’s your thought on this

Price increases is standard for January. But let me tell you this anyone saying they are raising prices because of Brexit is just being opportunistic and using it as an excuse to raise there bottom line.

I think the majority of the answers on here are proper plasterers bs I charge this I charge that, don’t care bla bla .... You are missing the point ! Prices are piling up and will hit us hard. That’s the bottom line. Me personally don’t care about bg products, I don’t use them , but simple question to answer - if british products are going up, what about all imports? Look further than b&q or your local merchants.

I think the majority of the answers on here are proper plasterers bs I charge this I charge that, don’t care bla bla .... You are missing the point ! Prices are piling up and will hit us hard. That’s the bottom line. Me personally don’t care about bg products, I don’t use them , but simple question to answer - if british products are going up, what about all imports? Look further than b&q or your local merchants.

Material costs should not cost the plasterer anything because it’s priced into a job. So the bottom line is, it actually doesn’t matter if multi goes up 20p a bag lol

Material costs should not cost the plasterer anything because it’s priced into a job. So the bottom line is, it actually doesn’t matter if multi goes up 20p a bag lol
Tell me the difference in % cos I am not that advanced in math like you

I'm not getting into the whole Brexit to and fro, but there are three things driving materials price increases.

1) Increases in wholesale gas prices.
2) Devaluation of the pound, which was massively overvalued by the tail end of the recession. The major economists agree that the downward trend is due to that adjustment not Brexit. The 'spikes' are due to market reactions to Brexit.
3) Phased increases in the green tariffs.

Of course there's a fourth factor which is the manufacturers bumping their prices to try and make up some of the losses caused by poor sales in the recession.

So the price increases in construction materials would be happening whether the referendum vote was in, out or shake it all about.