Plastering onto tiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlacheson

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to plaster over glazed tiling? Someone told me that the plaster would crack, but I don't understand why that is. I would have thought that if the tiles are unibonded first then plastered that it would be ok. Any advise??

Read the back of a tub of unibond mate.

Have never done it myself, but i think it requires a neat coat of unibond?

Enjoy ;D

Apply a coat of WBA/Betakontakt/Bond-it, allow to dry properly, and then either skim direct or apply a tight coat of Bonding and then skim over that. Done like that there should be no cracking

unibond / pva is for suction control.. its not really a bonding agent as such though if you hit it at the tacky stage it works well where there is still some suction.
Tiles have very very limited suction, you can peel pva of a hard surface when its dry, youll find similar with tiles..

wba, bond-it etc are bonding agents, they stick like sh't to a blanket and give you back a mechanical key with the grit thats in them... thats what theyre designed for...

i'd still give it a tight coat of bonding though, let it stiffen and start to change colour then get straight on i with some skim..

assuming the tiles are properly bonded of course... the amount of tiles ive come across that have been set onto fresh plaster with no suction control is unreal.. you can take em off with a wallpaper scraper!

Problem is that tiles should not go on to green plaster, float and set work needs 6 weeks before you tile unlesss you use special adhesive. Not too much of a problem with board work but it still needs to dry out properly and then a bit of PVA to kill the suction.

this is reali intresting, i see all the time builders,customers once my self! that when you have a tiled room either tiled on to board or a hard wall,the simple task of re tiling meens most people take down the old tiles first,witch makes alot of work,and if the tiles are on to stud walls you end up re boarding! so i would allways say to over tile the old stuff to save alot of mess and time. but your saying it is ok to skim on tiles with WBA and bonding ect? this could save alot of hassel,im on a job were the customer has gutted 3 bathrooms and now has to re board them all! all he wanted was new tiles and maybe a skimed wall. hummmmmmmmmmm

Ive plastered over tiles no probs, first cover the tiles with fibreglass mesh stuck with SBR and skim over but realy it is better to have them of for a proper job.
Lucius.

wickes plaster bonding agent...
its made by knauf but for wickes, any wickes will stock it, small tubs (5kg), about 12 quid
pink in colour so you can see where youve rolled it, contains a fine aggregate
make sure you mix the tub really thoroughly before use as all the aggretgate sinks to the bottom...
wash rollers immediately after use with lots of water... same for roller tray..
its the same as thistle bond-it or knauf betocontackt

Never been asked to skim over tiles but if asked to do so I would WBA, tight coat of bonding and bed some fibremesh you get in metre wide rolls just to cover urself.

mind if i ask why youve been asked to skim over the tiles?
its not so they can re-tile surely? theyd be better off wba then tile.. or just tile.. leave the skim out of it.
or is it a conversion of some sort?

Always best to take the tiles off the wall....ok there may be on a stud wall and u'll prob end up reboarding...but if you tile over them, you run the risk of weight limits being exceeded...or in some cases where the weight limit isn't exceeded the old tiles may have been so badly fixed e.g. dot & dab, wrong adhesive, poor coverage...that they will pull away from the wall when tiled over.

Same with pastering over tiles its the risk you take.

Fine if you explain this to the customer and they want to cut corners, and your willing to do the work.

Way i see it is you can get the tiles off the wall and reboarded in a day...extra cash, do the job properly no comebacks, keep reputation.

Could be alot lot lot more costly if those tiles start coming off the wall...no thanks!!

I've had a couple of customers recently asking me to tile over tiles to save cash...told them i wouldn't do it lost both jobs :( oh well be there loss in the end! ::)

there used to be a cut away display in hall and rodgers mcr showing thistle bondit painted direct onto tiles and then skimmed this was a british gypsum display so if there advertising there product this wway id say its 100% safe if the tiles are fixed firmly, ive skimmed yards and not had any problems

Chris W said:
mind if i ask why youve been asked to skim over the tiles?
its not so they can re-tile surely? theyd be better off wba then tile.. or just tile.. leave the skim out of it.
or is it a conversion of some sort?
It's just to save the hassle and mess in taking them off, less labour to pay out I suppose.

so theyre not re-tiling then?
its just not a normal request cos most jobs requiring tiles will still require tiles afterwards if you see what i mean...
maybe if theyre moving the bath or shower...

Status
Not open for further replies.