Plaster without bonding agent/pva

Despairing

I need some advice. I appointed a contractor to smooth my rough textured painted walls in my house. He has done about 75% of the walls with gyproc rhinolite plaster - which was a huge messy job and I find out now that he didn't apply a bonding agent or pva - in fact did no prep on the walls before hand. He has been fired! But what do I do now. Is there a product you can apply over the plaster to get it to adhere or does a contractor have to scrape the plaster off and start again?

Does it come off easily? if not I'd leave it. Or you could board over the top and secondary fix. Are you despairing because you went cheap? Pay less pay twice?

LiveLeak-dot-com-giphy_1544712888.gif

Thanks - yes I am despairing because the contractor came so well recommended. Unfortunately he just dropped of 2 guys and didn't supervise them. I asked him about the pva when I saw the unopened tins ! He was initially shocked but denied it ....and then when it was clear it hadn't been used as there were no empty or even half empty tins, he tried to convince me it would be ok. It wasn't cheap.
I am not sure if its going to come off easily - they have been plastering last 3 days so I am too scared to touch it as its all still "new" and I don't know how long it needs to set

I think this is a type of plaster found in South Africa made of Gypsum and Rhino horn.

I need some advice. I appointed a contractor to smooth my rough textured painted walls in my house. He has done about 75% of the walls with gyproc rhinolite plaster - which was a huge messy job and I find out now that he didn't apply a bonding agent or pva - in fact did no prep on the walls before hand. He has been fired! But what do I do now. Is there a product you can apply over the plaster to get it to adhere or does a contractor have to scrape the plaster off and start again?
Where are you based?
Glasgow???

I think this is a type of plaster found in South Africa made of Gypsum and Rhino horn.
Its a Saint Gobain gypsum product. Gyproc. Saint Gobain is major French company - leaders in building products worldwide so I don't think its the product thats an issue! Its the the contractor who needs to be gored by a rhino horn

PVA is mostly about killing suction, not sticking the plaster to to wall. Skim sticks to boards, doesn't it?

Chances are, you'll be okay. If the finish is good then don't be scraping it off just yet.

Quite what you're going to do about the contractor I don't know, if he hasn't done the job as agreed. Maybe pay him in a month or something if you want peace of mind.

PVA is mostly about killing suction, not sticking the plaster to to wall. Skim sticks to boards, doesn't it?

Chances are, you'll be okay. If the finish is good then don't be scraping it off just yet.

Quite what you're going to do about the contractor I don't know, if he hasn't done the job as agreed. Maybe pay him in a month or something if you want peace of mind.
I once did a very similar job to the one described on a hall, stairs & landing.
This was before Blue Grit type products, and PVA just ran down the glossy paint.
The surface was dimpled rather than stippled, and I coated the walls with Thistle Bonding, then a 50/50 of Bonding/Finish, and then a final skim coat.
All went well, customer delighted ... Kerrrrching!

12 month on customer phoned complaining of cracks above the radiator.
I went round and sure enough it had blown. So, I got a bucket trowel behind it, and 15 minutes later I had gone up the stairs, done a lap of the landing, and come back down the other side.
Clean as a whistle & just like the day I first saw the job.
The plaster and walls had just been holding hands for a year or so!

Expensive reminder that Thistle Bonding isn't even the outer husk of the man it once was.

I never tried Uni Finish (or whatever it was called) as I am now a firm believer that any plaster needs a well prepared surface to grab onto.

Preparation is everything.some spreads don’t put a proper price in for this.if you don’t charge appropriately and take short cuts, be prepared for some serious headaches.lets get pricing for the knowlage we have obtained over the years and not just what’s in our hands.
@Cockney1 , what price for what you got in your hands?