Plaster over artex ceiling

Members online

Usual PVA was coat room day before (3:1), then day of skimming one coat PVA let coat tacky and skim...
SBR tho my plan is to just neat SBR it day before then try skimming next day, no pre coat... Seen good reviews and if it saves me slapping on an extra coat whether it be SBR or PVA to control suction...happy day's
So you think that plaster will stick to a smooth, dry sheet of rubber? Interesting.

So you think that plaster will stick to a smooth, dry sheet of rubber? Interesting.
Man c'mon Boys, I've said I've seen reviews...never said I reckon this or that. I'll try it, if it fails it fails. Nothin ventured nothin gained.
As for over complicating...if it does take then it's clearly made things easier. Like I said reviews with cured SBR says it worked a treat. Soon know if it slides

Lol, bit of the old back tracking . When you say a rubber sheet for plaster to take to...I too was suspect but like I says reviews everywhere. YouTube "on the trowel SBR" you will see Kirk talk about it..let me know your thoughts then. Coz it's one coat stuff..time saver

EssexAndy said it won't work mate... In Andy we trust. Lol.
Seen Kirk before mate he's a legend and swears by the SBR neat one coat...yet again one of many who do
I have never seen Kirk work on an internal. all of his work is render, SBR is correct for render and thin coat floor screeds. you must apply both while the SBR is wet.
PVA for internal work. I would only 2 coat on very high suction.

I have never seen Kirk work on an internal. all of his work is render, SBR is correct for render and thin coat floor screeds. you must apply both while the SBR is wet.
Not doubting your info mate but Kirk does a s**t load of internals, he says he uses one neat coat only and preferably leaves it to dry. Mabey he has just experimented and found that PVA over the years was a pain with ratios, two coats, waiting for tacky etc. One neat coat of SBR dry or wet boom. appreciate your info but check Kirk's stuff out, lots of internals

You know I love pva . But have gone all sbr. Even at that price. I didn't know it would completely kill the suction in one coat .right up my alley. Most of my stuff is over artex. I usually put a heater on to hurry up pva .

You know I love pva . But have gone all sbr. Even at that price. I didn't know it would completely kill the suction in one coat .right up my alley. Most of my stuff is over artex. I usually put a heater on to hurry up pva .
Seems a big debate on this stuff, some fun. Some folk think you are daft for mentioning the SBR but just goes to show

This guy Kirk is a scouser looked at his channel the other day swears by sbr seems a decent spread,I think you may be on about that yank who does a load of render/stucco as he calls it

It’s not good to completely kill suction on anything mate. Suction is your friend don’t be scared of it! :cool:

It’s not good to completely kill suction on anything mate. Suction is your friend don’t be scared of it! :cool:
Suction isn't a good thing over Artex. If you're getting suction it means that water is getting through to the Artex and Artex is water soluble, even when it has been up there for decades.

Suction isn't a good thing over Artex. If you're getting suction it means that water is getting through to the Artex and Artex is water soluble, even when it has been up there for decades.
Back in your box Andy pandy! I’ve spent most of my life going over the shite. Lol

#suctioncontrol

Last edited:
This guy Kirk is a scouser looked at his channel the other day swears by sbr seems a decent spread,I think you may be on about that yank who does a load of render/stucco as he calls it
Kirk Johnson and Kirk the yank are both members on this forum.
I did think that he was talking about he yank. their internals are all tape jointed.

Happy GIF

To be honest I do very little plastering now, my role is to help fellow plasterers out, not that this as got anything whatsoever to do with my original comment. You crack on sunshine and have a good day.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your job description mate ?