Paper tape

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firm i worked for thats all we used its the way its meant to be done they dont guarentee fibretape

Paper tape is not any stronger and if problems occur it is a pain in the arse to snag. Can you tear fibre tape by hand? Strength is the wrong word what is important is it's ability to absorb movement.I despise the stuff,to many m2 for £1pm2 in the early 90s,so even if you come up with independent evidence from various sources I will not agree! Anyway BG won't guarantee their products if you use someone elses screws,so just another get out clause.

with the paper tape just immerse it in water ,shake off so its damp apply making sure all the joints have got skim in them ,important to get the air bubbles out but leave enough skim under tape,

Gibbo did you get extra for using paper tape?, tex why do you soak it mate and do you drop the whole roll in or a bit atba time?

spunky get yerself a bit of 15mm copper tube bend into a u shape so it fits into a bucket [halfway down]then turn over the ends off the tube to clip over bucket edge ,slide the tube thru the roll of tape ,half fill bucket water,roll of tape folding as you go ,do as much as you like ,keeps damp in a plastic bag,

Paper tape is not any stronger and if problems occur it is a pain in the arse to snag. Can you tear fibre tape by hand? Strength is the wrong word what is important is it's ability to absorb movement.I despise the stuff,to many m2 for £1pm2 in the early 90s,so even if you come up with independent evidence from various sources I will not agree! Anyway BG won't guarantee their products if you use someone elses screws,so just another get out clause.
paper tape is stronger read the white book by gypsum

Paper tape the angles with easyfill, do the flats with fibatape, that's what I used to do. You get quick at it too.

We had to use paper tape once because all the joints were cracking above the doors.
Very, very long corridors. First they said we hadn't scrimed the joints. So they cut out every joint looking to find one with no scrim trying to blame us. Then they said fibre tape was a DIY product. Turns out the Architect forgot to put in expansion joints
but they wouldn't admit to it just said, we used the wrong tape.

i used to work for johnathan james capital do you remember them thats all they would use

Is there a joint in the board or are they special put them in for the sake of it joints

i refuse to use paper tape its slower to prep with and there ent many firms out there that pay you for using it and i have been in the trade as a labourer and a plasterer for 16 years now and i have never had a problem with scrim!! i have used paper tape for about 7 months last year and omg what a ball ache, getting paper cuts on a daily basis running short on a roll and not being allowed to use scrim and having to wait for foremen to drop it out to me i hate it and wont be using it again

i refuse to use paper tape its slower to prep with and there ent many firms out there that pay you for using it and i have been in the trade as a labourer and a plasterer for 16 years now and i have never had a problem with scrim!! i have used paper tape for about 7 months last year and omg what a ball ache, getting paper cuts on a daily basis running short on a roll and not being allowed to use scrim and having to wait for foremen to drop it out to me i hate it and wont be using it again
you wouldnt have liked jute then

How can anyone moan and groan about putting tape up is beyond me as it takes so little time to do.
I use tape for certain applications as it's definitely stronger than scrim. When worked in between trowelling up it doesn't cost much time at all.

It takes at least 3 times longer andy and when you're fighting to get 3 sets in it'll make a lot of difference

When you consider taping is a trade all on its own then we dont get a rate for it at all it starts to make you wonder.

Just by chance happened to be doing a leak in the loft job in deepest Essex today. Ceiling was taped and it all peeled off on the joints where scrim wouldnt have.

Rumour went round in the early 90's that in the US scrim was banned and, hey presto, all the big plastering firms started using the (cheaper) tape.

Scrim is stronger because it is a reinforcing 'mesh' as opposed to a rigid brittle paper tape, and believe me over the years I have seen loads of paper tape fail.

It takes at least 3 times longer andy and when you're fighting to get 3 sets in it'll make a lot of difference

Yesterday I skimmed 80m2 but still found time to put some thin coat beads and scrim up in between and I'm old and fecked and nowhere near back to full fitness, a young fit stud like yourself should have no trouble putting some tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.