Paper tape

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodplasterer

Got to start a job monday and its all skim on board but it's got to be paper tape.......what my question is has any one had to do this in the past? and what method of fixing the tape worked best? I was gonna attack it by buttering up the joints and applying the tape that way if theres a better way let me know?

some self adhesive paper tape soak it in water then stick it on job done.............oh nick the wifes marrigolds tho!!!

same again, the paper tapes pre folded in the centre , i just tacked a few in to hold it in place. once the skims on it aint goin no where. you could bed it into the gear like you said i just found it easier and less fidling about with a staple gun. just tack every 6-800mm and you can get your trowel behind the tape so you can get some gear behind it if you need to

I don't provide the tape phoenix I'm just a subby mate so i just use what's to hand, seems mental to me that they want paper tape.

Wet and stick is what you want. If you have a lot to do, contact Marnic
Marnic ::
Was about £3 something a roll if you buy a case of 20.

its bollox mate the paper tape is crap scrim provides a stronger bond.........the only paper tape thats worth using is the angle tape thing for use on external splays other than that get scrim on the case!!! are you getting paid extra for the use of paper tape considering its gonna take longer to stick no matter which tape you use!!! if you dont then tell your gaffer bollox

its bollox mate the paper tape is crap scrim provides a stronger bond.........the only paper tape thats worth using is the angle tape thing for use on external splays other than that get scrim on the case!!! are you getting paid extra for the use of paper tape considering its gonna take longer to stick no matter which tape you use!!! if you dont then tell your gaffer bollox

There using the paper tape because originally it was tape n joint and for some reason on the spec they have been told it has better sound qualities.

sounds like your working on a job that my old firm had in wolverhampton........... same thing just scrim it and skim it they will never know who makes up what materials you gotta use anyway? i been on 1 fhm job and it was knauf skimming went to another fhm job and it was bg!!! baffles me

Lol yeah it's complete nonsense i reckon they just get a load of cheap gear and got to use it on a job so that becomes the spec :rolleyes)

We were made use paper tape years ago on a job. Was ok for a week or so then got hollow blown blisters wher it had blown. Found out we had to put the tape roll on a long screwdriver above a bucket of water before we used it

Where's the job bod? I agree mate I bet they've just got loads left over from another job ask the actual site agents if it's true

The only reasons paper tape will blow are if it isn't bedded in sufficiently or if there is movement in the building. Paper tape is stronger than mesh. Think about the surface area actually in contact with the board. With paper it is total but with mesh it is just the mesh strands.

Paper tape should always be bedded in not stapled. As for it being stronger,I reckon that's bollox,if a joint is going to crack it'll crack no matter what you put on it,as said due movement in the board work or building. It used to be said that paper tape was 50% less likely to crack than fibre,in practice though that is not the case. I reckon a big Drylining firm in the 90's with 3 initials put pressure on BG to say that thus reducing their costs as fibre was 3 times the price of paper. Tony have you used USG easy sand and have you sanded it wet,if so what do you think? I've not risked trying yet. Cheers.

Tony have you used USG easy sand and have you sanded it wet,if so what do you think? I've not risked trying yet. Cheers.
I used it for a while, but only as a filler, not for finishing as IMO it's too coarse for that. I'm using Lafarge G-Tec Smartmix Extra at the moment which is ready mixed, smooth as... and easy to sand.

I used it for a while, but only as a filler, not for finishing as IMO it's too coarse for that. I'm using Lafarge G-Tec Smartmix Extra at the moment which is ready mixed, smooth as... and easy to sand.

I got a bucket of that, it's proper wet that stuff, i reckon it's nice gear though...

yeah Smartmix is easy to sand but i've found it a bit pissy and i've had a few tubs that are rancid when opened aswell as the buckets are no use after so i tend to use Sheetrock. tomorrow i've got to get two coats over painted work so neither will be any good,i'll try easy sand cos it's probably still gonna be wet the following day and they reckon it can be be sanded wet. i've used it for two coating over board work before and while it doesn't go as far as easi-fill etc it's ok when sanded. i'll give it a go and let you know.

yeah Smartmix is easy to sand but i've found it a bit pissy and i've had a few tubs that are rancid when opened aswell as the buckets are no use after so i tend to use Sheetrock. tomorrow i've got to get two coats over painted work so neither will be any good,i'll try easy sand cos it's probably still gonna be wet the following day and they reckon it can be be sanded wet. i've used it for two coating over board work before and while it doesn't go as far as easi-fill etc it's ok when sanded. i'll give it a go and let you know.

I think the buckets are great for mixing fast set and cove adhesive. The Sheetrock tub gear is too soft once set and has no guts for coating beads. Smartmix is great for boxing on addition of a drop of water. I'd be using Easifill over paint.

they are a pain to clean though. yeah Sheetrock is too soft but it's ok once sealed or painted. personally i've found it ok for coating beads whereas there is no chance with Smartmix,though i'd rather use filler due to cost,don't get me wrong both are alot better than BG joint cement.if i use easi there is no chance it'd be dry so i'll try USG,if it works it'd be useful for patching/snagging.

they are a pain to clean though. yeah Sheetrock is too soft but it's ok once sealed or painted. personally i've found it ok for coating beads whereas there is no chance with Smartmix,though i'd rather use filler due to cost,don't get me wrong both are alot better than BG joint cement.if i use easi there is no chance it'd be dry so i'll try USG,if it works it'd be useful for patching/snagging.

A lot will depend on the bead you are using. I only use USG tape on beads which require very little material compared to metal skim bead and are far superior to flex tape. One coat of filler and one coat of Smartmix and they are done.

No it's normal easifill but a year out of date :RpS_biggrin:
It literally goes of in 5minutes. :RpS_thumbsup:

paper is stronger im afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.