Out of date skim.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

I was chatting to Lee about how much Multi we needed and moaning about the four bags at the unit which were now out of date when a notion/question occurred to me. Given that the main issue seems to be that out of date stuff goes off quickly/suddenly could you not just add a retarder. So it's probably a daft question, but has anyone tried adding extra time to out of date skim?

I was chatting to Lee about how much Multi we needed and moaning about the four bags at the unit which were now out of date when a notion/question occurred to me. Given that the main issue seems to be that out of date stuff goes off quickly/suddenly could you not just add a retarder. So it's probably a daft question, but has anyone tried adding extra time to out of date skim?
Mix them half and half for first coat, unless they’re well out of date mix them with the stuff in the skip.

Out of date skim bonding hardwall etc will set real quick mate no matter what you put in it.
Be a struggle getting it onto wall before it sets.

Tbf I’ve always used out of date skim never had problem a month or two always been ok

Typical bloody builder!!!!

save it for patching jobs

If you can’t use it from start to finish, then use it for first coat only. I never check dates, don’t care tbh

f**k that, fresh multi has it's up's and downs, dont fancy using vintage multi that came from a shite batch to start off with.

giphy (9).gif

f**k that, fresh multi has it's up's and downs, dont fancy using vintage multi that came from a shite batch to start off with.
can be ok for likes of a fireplace patch or similar but always mix a wee sample first to make sure its setting ok

Lessons learn't for me - never again

I bought a few bags from selco, they were a quid each, just out of a month date, didn't think anything of it...

Went to plaster a wall and no sooner had my trowel finished putting the mix on, it had set. Another bag was flash setting, and I think the last bag, the texture was just weird

Wouldn’t the retarder cost more than a bag of skim anyway?

Probably, it was just one of those curiosity things where you wonder why something is so.

The cost/wastage is immaterial really. It doesn't matter if it's £500 a bag and 50% goes in the skip as I'm not paying for it.

02197872-C67E-437D-8C54-4AB2D4192384.png

25KG multi finish plaster £2.5 a bag out of date still good.. Condition is New.
Expiry date October 2018.
I am selling them for teaching purposes or plastering a garage. I wouldn't risk it interior use. :LOL:

Looks like the one on top is just out of date bu rest are old, as said above if you went half and half with fresh it might be ok for first coat? But I would only pay 50p a bag.

Probably, it was just one of those curiosity things where you wonder why something is so.

The cost/wastage is immaterial really. It doesn't matter if it's £500 a bag and 50% goes in the skip as I'm not paying for it.

I had crane handler lift up a pallet of skim with no cover 2 days ago.
Then up came the water.
"Take it back down its fuucking got a huge hole in the barrel for fucks sake"

"It's fine the roofs sealed "
he screamed back

Fuucking prick lifted it straight over the bags for want felt like forever.

The brains on people is dangerous.