Orange staining and plaster taking a long time to go off - limelite skim

Witcross

Hi all

We're currently renovating our 1898 end terrace house and have started skimming our external walls with limelite. All sections of wall that have been skimmed so far have been perfect but the section between our chimney breast and back door has reacted very strangely.

Initially, the plaster was all the same colour but the sections that are now within the orange staining took significantly longer to go off. The following morning, the plaster had gone off but the orange staining had appeared.

Have any of you seen this before and do you have any idea how we rectify this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Plaster 1.jpg

Attachments

• Plaster 2.jpg
    Plaster 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
  • Plaster 3.jpg
    Plaster 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 177
Looks to me like soot stain bleeding through.
I don't like the external angle either.

Could well be soot staining.
Im not a fan of limelite myself.
Cow manure in the basecoat stops the staining coming through.

Looks more like damp than soot. Has the wall been previously treated with any damp proofing upto that height?
We weren't given any information on previous damp proofing but I've attached the best photo I've got of the wall next to the back door pre-plaster - we were wondering whether the dark green might have been a form of damp proofing?

Attachments

• Back wall.jpg
    Back wall.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
I admire anyone for having ago, but tbh, regardless of the materials you’re using, you need to rethink your approach as it’s very hap hazard…and since you are using limelite, you’re wasting money

Did you remove the existing back to the substrate and replace the backing with limelite or have you just reskinned using limelite finish?

Did you remove the existing back to the substrate and replace the backing with limelite or have you just reskinned using limelite finish?
The bottom section behind and just above the skirting board had blown so we removed the bottom foot and half, replaced it with limelite renovation plaster then skimmed the lot with limelite finishing plaster.

The bottom section behind and just above the skirting board had blown so we removed the bottom foot and half, replaced it with limelite renovation plaster then skimmed the lot with limelite finishing plaster.
So you’ve skimmed over existing plaster with limeliter finish?

Yes it is a bitumen . when it was still wet you would throw sharp sand at it to form a key.
Seen bitumen bleed through tbh, just thought the original wallpaper dye concept was a more accurete, its above the bitumen. Strong dyes back then . Either ways the plastering is F*****g gash ! Lol