Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
no skill to it if you can piss you can skim.

Given some of the walls and ceilings I've seen over the years there must be a lot of people earning a living plastering while they have a catheter fitted. :RpS_unsure:

ive said it before and il say it again....

to be able skim to a A1 standard over any substrate with decent size sets is far far far from easy!!!

however if you all want to carry on knocking it crack on not sure what your all trying to achieve???

wouldn't mind but 95% of people on here myself included probabley only do half a dozen rendering jobs a year anyway!!!

and just to add ive not come across a builder that doesn't do there own screeding anyway, fibreous is really a trade in itself...

and theres just as many people who can only render that cant hold there own on internals!!!

Skimming 8 flats at the min,love it,have to bond out door frames here and there,odd vaulted ceiling etc,I'd do this all year around,great money spinner, probably only do a dozen decent render jobs a year, loads of day work jobs too,decent rates but not life changing

Doing a job at the moment that was floated out in the 80's the reveals are pissed to **** and the finish is far from perfect, the skirting line is like the ocean waves. One reveal around one of the windows must have at least an inch of bow in it. Very poor, i think work should be judged on its individual merits. I have the greatest respect for veterans of any trade and think it is quite rightly earned given the experience and skill involved, but 70's 80's 90's 00's there was useless wankers then like there are now. I stayed at the Hilton Hotel in manchester a few weeks back and the plastering in there was shite aswell. You could see every F*****g board join down the wall. I think there is good and bad in all to be honest. Just my opinion.

Oh yes,the late eighties ,bang it out,get it pink ,continued through the nineties. Builders didn't care ,just wanted it done,

I was delivered into the plastering world by donegal men hell bent on Throwing sand and cement up the walls.

S.cement sponge floated outside. (The mix had too be spot on the same every mix)

20 tonns sand internal a day.

Meshed and bonding under stairs.

Screeding (mixed by pump and mixer)

Todays render comes in bags its not as hard as it used too be.
fair play to lads who only screed ...I knew a few whos stomachs and knees are ******.

tackers had a dip in there skulls from holding up boards with there heads and fixing with clouts.

but fuuuck me you try skimming on yer own enough to get a big tax bill every year on shiite rates......youd think twice about calling these animals just "skimmers"

I was delivered into the plastering world by donegal men hell bent on Throwing sand and cement up the walls.

S.cement sponge floated outside. (The mix had too be spot on the same every mix)

fair play to lads who only screed ...I knew a few whos stomachs and knees are ******.

tackers had a dip in there skulls from holding up boards with there heads and fixing with clouts.

but fuuuck me you try skimming on yer own enough to get a big tax bill every year on shiite rates......youd think twice about calling these animals just "skimmers"
20 tons of sand are you sure

Yes im sure mate ......I dug my feet into the mountain and threw it into a mixer all day too a couple of beasts.

When the big fuuuck off wagan came to tip it in the morning I just wanted to cry.

Your gonna tell me it cant be done ??

19 years old full of drink from night before.
Done it many many times.

Ive seen screeders laboures mix more looking like arnod swarstnegger.

Huge houses around beaconfield area.

Octagon homes.

Cant remember other house builders

Top top quality and there were getting top money.

on that note i have also seen screeders and their labs with white stuff around there noses??? now who was it, that said drugs are bad?
these fookers were earning mega dollars, and the floors were spot on as well!!

Haha ...I remember a spread used to work with us turned to heroin.

great lad ...amazing spread.
Lads in our gang could not believe how gifted he was.
But only worked 3 days a week and subbed the rest of us for the other 2.

The above is true. These guys from Donegal would put any plasterer to shame, absolutely magnificent workers.
Donegal men did all the digging on channel tunnel, tube lines, hydro plants aswell. Google "tunnel Tigers' "hydro men" etc

The above is true. These guys from Donegal would put any plasterer to shame, absolutely magnificent workers.
Donegal men did all the digging on channel tunnel, tube lines, hydro plants aswell. Google "tunnel Tigers' "hydro men" etc

They are hungry bastards 2

The queens county men were far superior ,
the worst been ex Leitrim lily whites

Last edited:
In all honesty ive seen many hard grafting polish lads rendering (not many on the inside)

But they aint got a patch on donegal men.

Hungry ????

Ive seen em supping diesel outa there vans and into the mixer to keep it running.

The last gang of donegal lads I worked in was 20 bag gauges 4 of us spreads 2 labs.

A pallet of skim a day.

I know english gangs doin the same now because of the lads who trained them.

I rember years ago starting in a houseing estate that some donegal plasters were in before me the frist thing the builder said to us was the standerd needs to come up a bit witch wasent hard to do **** the were rough

The lads I worked with all there work was direct mate they were never rough.

They pushed themselves against each other not just speed but on the quality.

There all fuucking loaded.

I used to do site work up until about 10 yrs ago. Remember working for C&G in North London on a scheme of new build pb houses. A brand spanking new Irish reg van would pull up every day and a load of Donegal spreads and labourers would pile out. They'd go to the agent and say we want these 4 houses today. Sure enough they'd finish the 4 houses that day, dunno how .
following week a different brand new van owned by another one of them containing the same guys would turn up and the process would continue. Amazing

The lads I worked with all there work was direct mate they were never rough.

They pushed themselves against each other not just speed but on the quality.

There all fuucking loaded.

i like these stories of old times, every dollar was got through hard graft, quite a few irish screeding gangs made a lot of dosh!! nutters

I worked with em for years ive seen em sand and cement ceilings
In huge houses in centre of london.

Rounded all the ceilings in sand cement.

What them fellas could do was astounding.

We done a job recently for £8400 for a contractor that told us a man from buncrana co dunegal had called in to get pricing it. He let him price it, his price was 6000 euro!! The contractor said for him write it down so he wouldn't forget but in truth he got him to write it down as he thought he had miss heard him! The contractor said to us "what sort of mess would he have left at that money?" He hadn't a chance because he was that keen! You would think if he was doing work right at that money he wouldn't need to be calling into jobs looking work!

They always said the same the labouring had to be spot to achieve the results they did.

They put machine plasterers to shame aswell.

call yourself what you want pal, I don't know you, your just a user name to me, with a picture of something that looks like you'd use to lure small children into to the back of a car

end of day, I back up what I say with experience and knowledge (and pictures occasionally) of things I've learnt and don't talk shite like most do on here, or ask how do I render this job Iv blagged

It is a plastering forum after all, if you don't like it, put me on ignore, better still go and look at an erect 3 inch cock and tell yourself it's mine if it makes you feel better.

ooooohhhh shits getting real:RpS_scared:

calm down you precious t​wat

Ive also been in the van with one of the fellas and lost a second phase of a job in golders green float n set.
The foriegn lads went in 60 grand cheaper.
3 weeks later everyday calling him begging him to take site back on and he refused made a phone call got a golf hotel direct with a statley house to refurb that he turned away earlier that week.

but the lads couldnt drink pishh !!

I cant remember ever being out of work with these lads.

About 15 vans used to meet at 6 in morning and sort out whose going where.

I do a fare bit for a company that handles insurance work. They sent me to a job yesterday. Only 23m2 of internal rendering. I told them the renderings all done il go back in Tuesday and skim it. She said our other plasterer is going to skim it because he can't do rendering we need you somewhere else.
I said he's not a plasterer then... She seemed very confused. People just don't get it. I was bollocked if I told people I was a plasterer when I was an apprentice when I could only board and skim.

Cheeky barstards! It's like that on a few of the last sites I ever worked on gaffers asking if you would tack and dab one for so and so ows about feck off T***s ile do all the humpin n shite so somebody can come and take the cream b*ll***s you should tell them the same mate [emoji106]

Money's gone out of plastering now, most of them Donegal guys are working in the tunnels digging, a lot of it by hand where the machines can't operate. £500 a day my mate gets in LU

Status
Not open for further replies.