One coat wonder

Members online

Natwasere

20161221_170945.jpg
Hi all, there probably is loads of post about one coating but there is like 10,000 plastering threads and I thought I would add another.

I am doing a shed basicly and gave it a whirl. Chucked it on fairly thick, speedskim'd it both ways, left it a while, sponged it, twice across with speedy then 2 flicks with nelaflex2. It has come out much much much better then expected and the builders didn't even realise.

Just wondering how any of you seasoned one coaters go about it? And was I just faffing too much?

We two coat most of our work because it's easier not the body , wrist and arms I mean, however nothing wrong with nicking the odd wardrobe wall or cupboard with one coat but trowel it early.

Boom! That's you on the dark side now pal.......one coating is like crack.....you try it once "to see how it goes"....next thing, you'll wanna do it every day....lol.
Seriously though, looks ok. The method you describe is how I do it. The onecoat is just another tool in the arsenal.

Same here , we've got a big house on the go with some nice features that have been butchered by builders pretending to be tackers and stickers

Typical stereotypical re***d builders. f**k it up...... plasterer will get over it.

I always 2 coat .

One coating of any kind is dog rough,lazy and always has ripples when you open curtains.. end of :birra:

Rough necks :endesacuerdo:

I always 2 coat .

One coating of any kind is dog rough,lazy and always has ripples when you open curtains.. end of :birra:

Rough necks :endesacuerdo:

Experienced plasterers can one coat
You need to know how to vince.
I did a room last week no problem
Give it 10 years and you might be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: s61
I'm. Not saying I recommend it, I do overskimming most of the time + good work that it's frowned upon so I won't be making a habit it of it, but it can be done and done well. It definitely has its places.

I agree in what you are saying, to be competent at 'One Coat' you have to have a good skill level.

But I also agree with Vince, I was taught a two coat system and there is a reason for that. Surely the idea of a laying down coat is to make trowelling up easier and a higher class work..?

This is a subject that seems to get debated every week. Each to there own I think. :)

There are lots of things we do that are not strictly correct but still we still do them. I'm just after some advice as there is times this will come in handy

If your confidence in one coat is all good then go for it. I have done it before but the one thing I would never do is try it in the height of summer. f**k that right off...

Suppose the Rwf theory is spreading round your way ,

Me personally have to 2 coat anyway to issue 2 year guarantee :rolleyes:

1 coat is easy to do right. f**k me it's not rocket science. f**k it at the wall. Quick flatten. Wash out. Sponge wall trowel it. Cup of tea wank or what ever you are into. Trowel walls. Get ready for next set. Dry trowel walls finished. Next set.

1 coat is easy to do right. f**k me it's not rocket science. f**k it at the wall. Quick flatten. Wash out. Sponge wall trowel it. Cup of tea wank or what ever you are into. Trowel walls. Get ready for next set. Dry trowel walls finished. Next set.

Do you do same with mp finish?

God its getting soooooo boring having to tell people how to 1 coat it's an absolute piece of piss....

I defy anyone to be able to pull any of my 1 coat work on board work!.

Dub out beads and joints, door frames etc first...

Forget all this speedskim and sponges unless you particularly want to use them...

MiX gear up with a bit of body to it apply, 3 trowels job done...

Next room next set 1.5hrs max

God its getting soooooo boring having to tell people how to 1 coat it's an absolute piece of piss....

I defy anyone to be able to pull any of my 1 coat work on board work!.

Dub out beads and joints, door frames etc first...

Forget all this speedskim and sponges unless you particularly want to use them...

MiX gear up with a bit of body to it apply, 3 trowels job done...

Next room next set 1.5hrs max

Do you sponge? If so when?
I'm genuinely interested, got the rest of shed tomorrow. I sort of guessed it's been up a few times with many disagreements, but there really is too much to search through to know by tomorrow. :)

I've one coated plasterboard many a time, I'd read about it on here...but just common sense as a plasterer, if you walls are bang on, and you lay on nice a flat...once flattened in your standing there thinking....this doesn't need another coat...no it doesn't!

I'm genuinely interested, got the rest of shed tomorrow. I sort of guessed it's been up a few times with many disagreements, but there really is too much to search through to know by tomorrow. :)

I personally don't sponge though have sponged in the past.

Sponging if done correctly will provide flawless finish however if slightly miss timed will f**k up your set.

Like said just ensure heavy areas are dubbed out first and that your gear has some body to it...

Apply and just forget that its 1 coating and just trowel when needed if I time it right its 3 trowels...job done

There is nothing wrong with one coating if the boarding is bang on.... but alot of people think they 2 coat when they dont...... my mates been a spread 20 years and swears they 2 coat everything.... bumped into him working the other weekend and he was laying it down with the same gear...............i said wheres the 2nd coat to which he replied "this is it:........no it is not my friend.... if the 1st coat is still like piss you are adding to the 1st coat not applying the 2nd...he said he had let the 1st coat pull in for 10 minites..... ( still like piss )... still gets a good finish
...lol

Fill out tapes/beads
One fat coat off skim
Flatten off
Sponge
3 trowels
Home for blue peter [emoji106]

Clue is in the thread title :bananahappy:

One coat and Wonder ...

Wonder if it's ok when painted
Wonder if the Ripple lines show
Wonder if they will call back to redo it

Fill ya boots one coat wonderers or maybe fill ya ripples with gyproc easi fill :risas:

f**k all that sponging b*ll***s
It's not b*ll***s . It's. Makes it easy on the arm gives skim a good flatten to. But I'll be honest I don't all ways do it. If am skimming for a few weeks I use different ways to finish it just. All paint up the same apart from the sets done by a s*p*r*lex so now only use it for dry trowel. As using them is a load of b*ll***s.

Why does everyone think the plasterboarding has to be good for one coat. U still put on the same depth of skim as 2.