one coat sponge ;-)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've pretty much been sponging since I started learning plastering just coz the guy I learnt off used to do it, but I still always two coat, now that I've splashed out on some new tools to make things easier, I put it all on as normal, speedskim, then lay it down speedskim again, clean everything buckets etc while waiting a bit, then spray a small bit of water over the whole wall and float it all up, got one the the big Refina sponges, then take off with plazzi which spreads the fat into any tiny little bits, let it pick up then wet trowel dry trowel all with plazzi, normally try and get edges better on each trowel leaving just slight touch up at the end, probably a bit overkill but trying to get a good name for myself ATM so just going the extra mile a bit I guess:/

Got the spray bottle from Jewsons, expensive for what it is but I've gone through so many cheaper ones and this one is the dogs!

Do you not use steel at all?

I've pretty much been sponging since I started learning plastering just coz the guy I learnt off used to do it, but I still always two coat, now that I've splashed out on some new tools to make things easier, I put it all on as normal, speedskim, then lay it down speedskim again, clean everything buckets etc while waiting a bit, then spray a small bit of water over the whole wall and float it all up, got one the the big Refina sponges, then take off with plazzi which spreads the fat into any tiny little bits, let it pick up then wet trowel dry trowel all with plazzi, normally try and get edges better on each trowel leaving just slight touch up at the end, probably a bit overkill but trying to get a good name for myself ATM so just going the extra mile a bit I guess:/

Got the spray bottle from Jewsons, expensive for what it is but I've gone through so many cheaper ones and this one is the dogs!

:RpS_lol:

After your first trowel it should just be a case of closing it in, edges should be straight and true by then..

going the extra mile and sponging shouldn't be in the same context even spunky will admit to that..

sponging and plazzy trowels are just a time saving thing to combat the shocking prices IMO they don't leave a better finish it just means you can finish it quicker with less effort

Last edited:
:RpS_lol:

After your first trowel it should just be a case of closing it in, edges should be straight and true by then..

going the extra mile and sponging shouldn't be in the same context even spunky will admit to that..

sponging and plazzy trowels are just a time saving thing to combat the shocking prices IMO they don't leave a better finish it just means you can finish it quicker with less effort
An equal finish then to the standard two coated steel troweled work?

I still two coat because i think you get a better finish but agreed the sponge and plazzi does speed things up a bit, doesnt seem like theres a big difference in the finish than the other seems to be pretty equal if you're two coating either way, not against the standard steel trowel methods, but the plazzi is definitely easier on the joints! Sets just seem a bit quicker to me being able to get on it sooner. Especially when they're tight on the money side of things! Although I have found the finish doesn't seem as greasy as it had been with multi, seems bit more matte which is easier to decorate, just pains me when you get crappy decorators or customers that go and ruin it with dodgy painting!

Iv been using one coat sponge plastering for about 2 years. Was plastering traditional method for about 10 years. I saw some german plasterers doing one coat sponge and using only refina tools to flatten and trowel up... I was well impressed with the finish and gave it a try and find it 20% quicker and use much less effort. I put on one thick coat about 3mm, flatten with 1metre refina spatula, then leave for about 10 min then sponge up with lots of clean water, this has the effect of making the 2nd coat on the wall, as it livens up a 1mm layer on the surface of the plaster. Then flatten with 1metre spatula almost straight away. Then 2 more trowel ups with refina stainless steel s*p*r*lex trowel, Finish is lovely..
Anyone else using this method?... or similar?

Iv been using one coat sponge plastering for about 2 years. Was plastering traditional method for about 10 years. I saw some german plasterers doing one coat sponge and using only refina tools to flatten and trowel up... I was well impressed with the finish and gave it a try and find it 20% quicker and use much less effort. I put on one thick coat about 3mm, flatten with 1metre refina spatula, then leave for about 10 min then sponge up with lots of clean water, this has the effect of making the 2nd coat on the wall, as it livens up a 1mm layer on the surface of the plaster. Then flatten with 1metre spatula almost straight away. Then 2 more trowel ups with refina stainless steel s*p*r*lex trowel, Finish is lovely..
Anyone else using this method?... or similar?
Hell no!

only on the last trowel, i use clean water in a spray bottle. Give it a light mist all over, leave for about 1 minute and then a hard press trowel.. perfect finish!!

Agreed, i do usually give it a quick dry trowel to finish up. But not always necessary, im just a bit fussy like that.

If anyone's gonna onecoat why use a sponge ffs? Just trowel the c**t up lol :RpS_wink:

Your just wasting time, oh look at me with my big dripping sponge :flapper:

Status
Not open for further replies.