one coat sponge ;-)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPS

Private Member
well i tried it today and i can say its very good, need to get the timing a little better but its the way forward

cheers spunky for the advice!

cos it was my first time it prob didnt save me much time per gauge but i did put more area on per bag so thinking about it in the long run it did lol, i prob gave it one extra trowel than it needed but that was prob down to habbit

its all about the timing by the look of it, think i went over it just a little too early but it turned out bang on in the end

it doesnt take long to fill the s**t bucket up lol

If you sponge it too early it's harder to get the lines out it's weird, don't bother one coating on over skims or backing coats pretty sure you're two coating anyway, you can dry sponge it too if it's wetter dip the sponge in water and sponge it without soaking it goes off quicker, have confidence with it and let it pick up after it's sponged catch it right and it's mint

tell ya what i did, i put on more than i normally do. When i had finished cleaning the bucket out i dipped the sponge in the water and rubbed up about a 2.5m2 at a time then went over it with the trowel and repeated till i got to the end. Let it go a bit then dry trowelled it, then a wet trowel on the next one, then i gave it a last going over with another wet trowel, i didnt even need to do the last one lol

i think i need to leave it a bit longer before i sponge it though cos it left loads of lines in it but they did come out (prob what happens anyway) doesnt take long for the sponge to clog up,, i gave it another clean before it was club time and it was full of tiny multi balls lol
because it was my first go and i put more on than normal i was babbing it a little:RpS_scared:

Yeah you should be sponging a bit more than that try and sponge the whole set, if you're doing 20m you should be able to squeeze a fag in-between sponging and troweling

tell ya what i did, i put on more than i normally do. When i had finished cleaning the bucket out i dipped the sponge in the water and rubbed up about a 2.5m2 at a time then went over it with the trowel and repeated till i got to the end. Let it go a bit then dry trowelled it, then a wet trowel on the next one, then i gave it a last going over with another wet trowel, i didnt even need to do the last one lol

i think i need to leave it a bit longer before i sponge it though cos it left loads of lines in it but they did come out (prob what happens anyway) doesnt take long for the sponge to clog up,, i gave it another clean before it was club time and it was full of tiny multi balls lol
because it was my first go and i put more on than normal i was babbing it a little:RpS_scared:

Did it blister much?? it always seem to blister when i try one coat and it does my head in.. like sponge master spunky says its all about timing. i think i went over it too soon........ school boy error........:RpS_cursing:

Yeah you should be sponging a bit more than that try and sponge the whole set, if you're doing 20m you should be able to squeeze a fag in-between sponging and troweling

squeeze in a fag........:RpS_scared:didnt think u were into man love spunky.........each to there own i suppose........ hope u gave him a reach around.......:RpS_thumbup:

i was prob only doing a bit at a time cos the sponge was getting full and sticking so every time i had to empty the it a troweled it up, i was scared i might loose it. Spunky are you saying that i should be able to lay it on and lets say it take 5 mins to get it on, leave it 10 mins sponge the whole lot up then go over it all with the trowel? or am i rushing it a little?

if i hadnt had done the last wet trowel it would have prob save me an extra half hour but with the extra i got on its put me well in front :RpS_thumbup:

think i need to use the roller bucket has my s**t bucket now though, the normal bucket doesnt quite work

Arti it does bubble weird innit? Nps just have a play with it treat it like you're first wet trowel

cheers spunky ill keep at it, but im a bit scared about leaving the spondge marks in it till its time for the next trowel

Arti it does bubble weird innit? Nps just have a play with it treat it like you're first wet trowel
Aye it is weird, if it didnt bubble as much i would definately use one coat more. i suppose its just confidence and practise it just always looks s**t when i use it....:RpS_cursing:

no it didnt bubble but i did notice later on in the set when it was well on its way that there some marks where anyone would think bubbles had been, if ya get me

think i need to learn how to clean it too lol it was full of little multi balls in it, took me ages to get them out

you liked it then nps, i almost do it the same as spunk sponge the whole set if i can a real quick cig then trowel it off but you are right timeing is crucial mate, to clean the sponge out as your going i use a brush to take the worse off so i can carry on then at the end of the set just take a bucket to the tap and rinse it over the bucket, but as spunk says on an over skim its not ideal but it can be done if you wanna get out quick aslong as you leave it pukka ya flying, just try not to make it too much of a habbit i did it on a job little while ago a long running job and when i finished it was shite goin back to 3 hours sets and longer days haha

ye mate i did like it was a bit scary though lol
thing is i did it over two walls and a couple of bits so i was running from one end of the room to the other. when i was sponging it i was dipping the sponge in the water bucket and the sponge took no time in clogging up, think i need a sprayer! what sprayer would anyone recommend

i got a 2ltr pump sprayer from wilko for 3 quid mate its pukka mate fill it up lasts all day easy and you can adjust the nozzle from spray to jet if you wanted to that is,the sponge does stay cleaner for longer with a sprayer i think but as i said wen its clogged up just use a old brush to take the worse off so you can keep going

i clean my sponge by holding it over ya splash pale and running my trowel down the front of the sponge and it squeeze sall the glut out of it, turn the sponge the other way up and run the trowel down it again. put it back in some clean water and do it again. If ya sponge is a cheap one the trowel some time pulls the sponge off the handle but if its a decent sponge it will be ok

thats what i was doing as well as using my thumb and fingers, dunt half fill ya bucket up with shitt

thats the one mate just pump it up spray and wen your done pull the release valve to depressureise it

ill be on the look out for one this sat then i thinks :RpS_thumbup:

whats the sponge like on a ceiling?

i only buy the cheaper ones from wickes anyway as i said i dnt do it all the time only when the job calls for it so i find a cheaper one lasts me long enough

thier not really that cheap in wickes really the last one i bought was 14 odd quid

Its for tile grouting a good bit of kit but expensive for what they are i think i paid around €60 for my Spanish version.

Just had to post my experience with sponging...

I quickly go over joints and beads then put it all on quite thick.
Speedskim quick. Wait a bit and trowel up. Wait even longer the sponge witch a nice wet sponge...Honestly...I use a sponge mop from tesco. Razz over each area real quick and spat straight away.

Once over with plazzy and done.
Feckin love it...in certain situations.
Got a full house to do for peanuts over boardwork that roofers have done....Ideal methinks!

I've pretty much been sponging since I started learning plastering just coz the guy I learnt off used to do it, but I still always two coat, now that I've splashed out on some new tools to make things easier, I put it all on as normal, speedskim, then lay it down speedskim again, clean everything buckets etc while waiting a bit, then spray a small bit of water over the whole wall and float it all up, got one the the big Refina sponges, then take off with plazzi which spreads the fat into any tiny little bits, let it pick up then wet trowel dry trowel all with plazzi, normally try and get edges better on each trowel leaving just slight touch up at the end, probably a bit overkill but trying to get a good name for myself ATM so just going the extra mile a bit I guess:/

Got the spray bottle from Jewsons, expensive for what it is but I've gone through so many cheaper ones and this one is the dogs!

I've pretty much been sponging since I started learning plastering just coz the guy I learnt off used to do it, but I still always two coat, now that I've splashed out on some new tools to make things easier, I put it all on as normal, speedskim, then lay it down speedskim again, clean everything buckets etc while waiting a bit, then spray a small bit of water over the whole wall and float it all up, got one the the big Refina sponges, then take off with plazzi which spreads the fat into any tiny little bits, let it pick up then wet trowel dry trowel all with plazzi, normally try and get edges better on each trowel leaving just slight touch up at the end, probably a bit overkill but trying to get a good name for myself ATM so just going the extra mile a bit I guess:/

Got the spray bottle from Jewsons, expensive for what it is but I've gone through so many cheaper ones and this one is the dogs!

'Going the extra mile' ******* brilliant. That's told all us chancers that just use steel trowels lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.