Newly skimmed walls - is this an acceptable finish?

Members online

tomcarmichael

Hi all, new to the forum. I think I know the answer already but hoping to get some clarification from yourselves the professionals.

We’ve just had a bedroom re skimmed. Ceiling was previously artex, walls I had easi-filled and sanded to repair old plaster exposed once the wallpaper was removed (which looked ok but I wanted to take it to the next level). Walls above the picture rail were covered in several layers of wallpaper that had been painted over. Overall most of the plastered surface area looks ok, good from a distance, but once i start looking closely there are plenty of little nicks/ recesses, some raised little bumps not sure if theyre plaster drips as they are darker in colour, some corners look messy, mesh tape marks visible through the plaster in several places one of which I can feel the mesh pattern in the plaster. The plasterer has already come back, sanded down some areas to improve the finish and put filler in some holes which he is yet to sand, but theres still plenty of problems to my eye. He is telling me that having to do some filling/ sanding is normal with any plastering and advising me to mist coat and then address any problems, it looks to me like there are going to be a lot of those to contend with - Id say 25-30 little areas. He's saying it'll look perfect when painted but Im convinced. My understanding is that after after plastering, the room should be ready to prime and paint, bar perhaps some quick and light sanding, and no filler needed. We agreed to £795 for this room including removing a water-damaged ceiling area above the bay window and re boarding it before plastering. We only decided to do the walls during the job as initially was just going to be ceiling for £400 if that makes any difference. We've had another plasterer on a different room in the house before and were really happy with the results. What are your thoughts on this finish and the idea that filling and sanding is normal at the decorating stage? Am I being reasonable to demand that the filling and sanding is done before I pay? Or should I even be thinking about getting it re skimmed by someone more skilled from here? Thanks in advance

Photo 21-04-2021, 01 00 00.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 00 55 57.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 00 56 47.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 00 58 43.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 00 59 48.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 07 10 46.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 07 10 58.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 07 11 10.jpg
Photo 21-04-2021, 07 11 16.jpg

Photo 21-04-2021, 00 55 44.jpg

Hi all, new to the forum. I think I know the answer already but hoping to get some clarification from yourselves the professionals.

We’ve just had a bedroom re skimmed. Ceiling was previously artex, walls I had easi-filled and sanded to repair old plaster exposed once the wallpaper was removed (which looked ok but I wanted to take it to the next level). Walls above the picture rail were covered in several layers of wallpaper that had been painted over. Overall most of the plastered surface area looks ok, good from a distance, but once i start looking closely there are plenty of little nicks/ recesses, some raised little bumps not sure if theyre plaster drips as they are darker in colour, some corners look messy, mesh tape marks visible through the plaster in several places one of which I can feel the mesh pattern in the plaster. The plasterer has already come back, sanded down some areas to improve the finish and put filler in some holes which he is yet to sand, but theres still plenty of problems to my eye. He is telling me that having to do some filling/ sanding is normal with any plastering and advising me to mist coat and then address any problems, it looks to me like there are going to be a lot of those to contend with - Id say 25-30 little areas. He's saying it'll look perfect when painted but Im convinced. My understanding is that after after plastering, the room should be ready to prime and paint, bar perhaps some quick and light sanding, and no filler needed. We agreed to £795 for this room including removing a water-damaged ceiling area above the bay window and re boarding it before plastering. We only decided to do the walls during the job as initially was just going to be ceiling for £400 if that makes any difference. We've had another plasterer on a different room in the house before and were really happy with the results. What are your thoughts on this finish and the idea that filling and sanding is normal at the decorating stage? Am I being reasonable to demand that the filling and sanding is done before I pay? Or should I even be thinking about getting it re skimmed by someone more skilled from here? Thanks in advance

View attachment 60429View attachment 60421View attachment 60422View attachment 60423View attachment 60424View attachment 60425View attachment 60426View attachment 60427View attachment 60428
View attachment 60420
You know yourself it's substandard.

Out of interest did he plasterboard the ceiling as judging by the picture rail and shape of the room I'd say that ceiling was almost certainly lath and plaster that shouldn't of been plastered over

My 1st coat before flattening would be better than that.
Get a plasterer in and give the bill to whoever left that crap!!

If you haven't paid him don't pay him,the only money you should give him if he's supplied the materials himself other than that give him nothing,

Yeah I got 3 quid . I now have a lucky dip and a 3 quid ticket stuck to fridge
Ya never know gotta be innit to win it I still do numbers I did with one of my ex's dunno if she still does um but would be gutted if I seen in newspaper that div won 45 million!

How did he manage to bring all his tools and buckets and drill on a horse because he definitely is a cowboy

That's a terrible finish. No excuses. If you haven't handed over any cash yet, don't even think about it. Get the plasterer back that did your other room if you were happy with their work.