New Plastering tools

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaspire

So I am thinking of adding a few extra tools to my plastering kit and wanted to see if anybody had used the following tools and what peoples opinions were on them!

s*p*r*lex Skimming Spatula V Speedskim Straight Edge?

also

Refina Plastic Finishing Trowel V 20" Stainless steel Finishing Trowel

I find it ok, you need to look after it, not suitable for banging about, treat it like a plastic trowel, needs getting used to and taking advice from other users, No real science to it(this will get some jumping) but overall a handy piece of kit, thinking about trying the refina stuff myself...I am only plastering since 87 so I like stuff that saves my bones and muscles..

Yes they do look a bit delicate. Have you used it on sand & cement render or is it not strong enough?

Refina stuff looks good but again have been told you need to be very careful not to damage them. Thats why I was looking at the Marshalltown 20" trowel as they will last!

I personally would only use them for skim or tidying up bonding ,the problem with the 20 inch marshalls are the are very easily to warp too, I have had all sizes and I prefer the 14inch x 4.5

If you are looking for new plastering equipment we can help you out.

We sell the Excalibur Spat which is the exact same as the s*p*r*lex (from the same manufacturer), we also do our own version called the EZE Spat. They have replaceable blades and are a fraction of the price. If you do damage the blades they are not too expensive to replace.

We also stock Plastic trowels, Speedskims and Marshalltown Trowels along with many other tools. All are available at low prices and forum members do get extra discount. Will be with you next day as well.

If you need any help please give me a call on 01242 236699 - All prices are also on our website: Plasterers 1 Stop Shop » Plastering & Screeding Machines

Ryan

Last edited:
Yes they do look a bit delicate. Have you used it on sand & cement render or is it not strong enough?

Refina stuff looks good but again have been told you need to be very careful not to damage them. Thats why I was looking at the Marshalltown 20" trowel as they will last!

All trowels need due care to avoid damage. Have you used a 20" steel before? :)

haha yes don't worry I do take care with all my kit. Cost too much to not! No not used one and to be honest I am happy with the 14 for laying on. it was more for finishing off. Just seen it used before and is more of a time thing!

haha yes don't worry I do take care with all my kit. Cost too much to not! No not used one and to be honest I am happy with the 14 for laying on. it was more for finishing off. Just seen it used before and is more of a time thing!

Does a mate of yours have a 20" trowel that you can try out? The reason I ask is because it would be a good idea to try it out and see whether you can get on with that size before committing to the purchase. You may find that the 18" is a good compromise :)

i have seen that marshall town now do a 24" trowel, my son has purchased one, as he found it cheap on some canadian web site, but it just leans against the board and stand at the moment.

i have seen that marshall town now do a 24" trowel, my son has purchased one, as he found it cheap on some canadian web site, but it just leans against the board and stand at the moment.
I have some long ones in the van too, for years that is, you will never use them enough to break them in I think and the damage so easily...

thought that maybe the case with the marshalltown and don't think I will every use it enough to get I broken in. Will try the speedskim for now I think and maybe look again at the refina stuff.

Eze spats are a decent piece of kit! only had mine a week still getting used to it but well happy with results!

It's a spare sword, in case you get agro form a customer lol

Last edited:
its just for flattening pal! early in this thread some one ask about s & c render, i use my speedskims all the time on it and its fantastic!!

I have the speedskim 600 and 1200 which are great alrounders and they are fetching out a steel blade for troweling up in a couple of month aswell

No ya r8 there,there not must haves but they do make life easier and if it makes my life easier well am willing to try anything

Status
Not open for further replies.