Nela s*p*r*lex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
is using the SF.. a bit like wearing a red hankie in your rear right hand side pocket..ie.. you take it to the elbow ?? ( dry )

Just a update

The trowel has now broken in and ive been using it for the last few days on a Knauf Airless reskim job.

Its awesome its like its made to do it. I can flatten off quick then hit it 10 mins later with a wetting of the trowel and finish it! Rapid plastering!

Ryan let me know when the 18" are in as I will be getting a few.

s*p*r*lex you can use it straight out the box but it gets better just like any trowel

Im well impressed with it

You should also try Airless its awesome on refurbs
Trying to stay working and out of hospital for now,been lucky but on too strong a painkiller so who knows, I like to see how the young guys are making it easier and not wrecking themselves

To be honest I have be trying to find easier methods to keep my dad working. At 60 he has many aches and pains but refuse to give up! Airless is just such a good method. No hard trowling, no set times. We can stop for tea when ever. Machine setup takes 2 mins. Easy to clean.

But spray painting is where the real easy work is!

This video is not the best as its unedited

[video=youtube_share;_M-KDbXq2_A]http://youtu.be/_M-KDbXq2_A[/video]

Firstly an apology to @Plasterers1StopShop for not getting this review in sooner but I wanted to use the Nela s*p*r*lex trowel on different backgrounds.

Straight out of the packaging the front corners of the trowel were slightly down turned and obviously left lines. A quick bit of thumb pressure had that sorted.
First time out I used it on a plasterboard hit. I found I was able to get on and pass a trowel over it a fair bit earlier/wetter than I would have with my MT. Three quick trowels later with not a drop of water put on the walls and they were finished.
Today I used it to trowel up on Hardwall and I have to say it worked excellently. Wack a wall on, lay it in straight away using the MT and then pass the Nela s*p*r*lex over it pretty much immediately. Two trowels with barely a drop of water and the walls were beautifully finished.
These trowels seem superbly build and the handle is without doubt the most comfortable I've used. They are far more flexible than any trowel I've used before and do have limitations IMO. I deliberately left the odd heavier than usual line in the walls today after the first trowel and found that being so flexible it struggled to take the line down and just wanted to glide over them. This means it's more important to get your timings right than when using a standard trowel. That said if you put on neat and tidily as I tend to do they are excellent and very easy to use.
Although I got this trowel free of charge I'll be phoning Ryan tomorrow to order one for my son and I thoroughly recommend you give one a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review, concerned with laying down straight on top of first, I prefer the first to pull in a bit before I second, find it finishes better this way,perhaps my first is thicker than most as well.

When we two coat we always flatten first coat allow to pull in then top. Works fine.

As andy said these will not flatten large trowel lines that are left to long like a standard MT but if you lay on neat they are sweet

When we two coat we always flatten first coat allow to pull in then top. Works fine.

As andy said these will not flatten large trowel lines that are left to long like a standard MT but if you lay on neat they are sweet

The phrase that pays

@essexandy ... What size trowel were you using mate?
@JohnDoe I was using the 14in mate. I use an 11in most of the time but these trowels don't pull on the wrist/elbow like most so I felt fine using it.

Good review, concerned with laying down straight on top of first, I prefer the first to pull in a bit before I second, find it finishes better this way,perhaps my first is thicker than most as well.

The walls were ready to lay in straight away @johniosaif. I don't put on thicker than need be, 2mm all in.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JohnDoe I was using the 14in mate. I use an 11in most of the time but these trowels don't pull on the wrist/elbow like most so I felt fine using it.

The walls were ready to lay in straight away @johniosaif. I don't put on thicker than need be, 2mm all in.
Its a habit I need to change used to a thick first coat probably from many years of going over old wall set so need the waiting time for laying down

I was sent the 16" Nelaflex. At first I thought I wouldn't get on with it because I'm used to a 14" but the more I use it the more I like it.

I now prefer putting on with it than my MT. It's a really well balanced trowel and although 2 inches longer than the MT it's only 30grams heavier, I don't have the REFIflex anymore to compare weight to that, but I remember that being quite heavy.

It lays on real flat and feels sort of cushioned and easier on the wrist and flattens well, you can get over the work earlier.

You can finish with or without water with this trowel straight out of the box, although (like all other blades) it will improve with use as it sharpens.

It's very well made, with a look and feel of quality.

The handle is excellent, the comfiest of all my trowels. Unless it's patented I think we'll see quite a few other manufacturers following suit. Not sure if the holes are necessary though, I think they'll probably just fill with plaster and dead skin after a while.

I prefer the slightly narrowed and more rigid blade of the Nelaflex compared to the Refi s*p*r*lex and the more balanced feel. The handle is better also.

I'd recommend the Nela over the Refi**. It's an easy call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.