Need plasterer for largish kitchen area in Leicester

LiquidD

I have an older property with mainly brickwork walls that I would prefer to be floated (with bonding or hardwall) and then skimmed. However, I am finding it nearly impossible to find a plaster who is willing to do anything other than dot and dab to the walls.

So far one plaster has said he will do the work on a day work rate, but an older plaster who looked at the job and said it was to large for him advised me against going down the day work route. A few other plasterers have looked at the work and either not priced it or explained straight away the bonding is too much for them. An Eastern European tiler and screeder has provided me with a rate for doing the work, but the guy seems more of a tiler and I am concerned that the skim coat could end up being flatted with a belt sander.

Therefore, this forum is my last roll of the dice.

There is 92 m2 of bare brickwork/blockwork wall, which I would prefer to be bonded and skimmed and approx 32m2 of plaster board ceiling to be skimmed.

An adjoining room needs that is approx 4m x 4m needs some patching with bonding and the walls and old latch ceiling to be skimmed.

I have a CAD drawing and a detailed measure of the work area, if required.

If you would like to look at the work area or if you have any questions please let me know.

James
07986 166 281
email: psprojectplanning@gmail.com

2018-03-19_18-43-05_986.jpeg

2018-03-19_18-43-43_718.jpeg

2018-03-19_18-43-20_443.jpeg

2018-03-19_18-38-32_932.jpeg

2018-03-19_18-39-20_854.jpeg

2018-03-19_18-39-01_316.jpeg

I would have no objection to that at all.

I have only mentioned bonding, because I have assumed that asking for sand and cement would scare off even more people than the mention of bonding would!

I would have no objection to that at all.

I have only mentioned bonding, because I have assumed that asking for sand and cement would scare off even more people than the mention of bonding would!
Nice job to do actually , not my area unfortunately,but it's easy for a plasterer

I’d be all over that if it was closer. What’s your objection to a day rate. Ask roughly how many days and how much for materials. Unfortunately you are at the point where a end of a era of Plastering is starting to show through. Not so many out there can float and set. Well not the big areas.

I’d be all over that if it was closer. What’s your objection to a day rate. Ask roughly how many days and how much for materials. Unfortunately you are at the point where a end of a era of Plastering is starting to show through. Not so many out there can float and set. Well not the big areas.
I hate dot and dab, it's fast alright but float and set is superior in my opinion,you can add all the additives you want

I hate dot and dab, it's fast alright but float and set is superior in my opinion,you can add all the additives you want

People want fast. Dabbing over membrane today in a flat, tenant is paying around £900/month (up norf) and landlord wants it done and decorated ASAP to keep them happy. It's stripped, tanked and boarded in a day, skimmed tomorrow morning and decorated the within two days.

People want fast. Dabbing over membrane today in a flat, tenant is paying around £900/month (up norf) and landlord wants it done and decorated ASAP to keep them happy. It's stripped, tanked and boarded in a day, skimmed tomorrow morning and decorated the within two days.
Not really knocking it, a dollar is a dollar, I do what the builder asks and the clients wants

Not really knocking it, a dollar is a dollar, I do what the builder asks and the clients wants
Hey, I'm love F&S but I got to the point where clients were looking at me like an idiot when I offered it. I realised that the horrible hollow sound only bothers plasterers, clients looked at me confused and said "I don't tend to go round tapping my walls".

Hey, I'm love F&S but I got to the point where clients were looking at me like an idiot when I offered it. I realised that the horrible hollow sound only bothers plasterers, clients looked at me confused and said "I don't tend to go round tapping my walls".
Delta membrane ,then 2/1 batten then board, its loves a lot of problems for services also

I think you are correct about the end of an era. I guess the big house builders have moved to dot and dab now and that is the way the latest generation of plasterers are being trained to do things.

My main concern with the day rate is that I occasionally have to spend the odd week or two working away so I will either not be able to do that or I would have to take a risk that the job was not being stretched out.

I suppose like most people I would also prefer some certainty over the final bill.

I'd still use waterproof throughout and anti salts

My original plan was to use a sand and cement render with some Sika additive in the mix, but that was before I realised how hard it would be the find someone who would be prepared to do something other than dot and dab!

My original plan was to use a sand and cement render with some Sika additive in the mix, but that was before I realised how hard it would be the find someone who would be prepared to do something other than dot and dab!
You have what you want not what others are prepared to do, probably because they wouldn’t know how to knock it up let alone use it

I'm sorry but why would it require a day rate?

Any plasters worth his salt should be able to look at that job and provide a price for supply & Fit its hardly a castle!

I have an older property with mainly brickwork walls that I would prefer to be floated (with bonding or hardwall) and then skimmed. However, I am finding it nearly impossible to find a plaster who is willing to do anything other than dot and dab to the walls.

So far one plaster has said he will do the work on a day work rate, but an older plaster who looked at the job and said it was to large for him advised me against going down the day work route. A few other plasterers have looked at the work and either not priced it or explained straight away the bonding is too much for them. An Eastern European tiler and screeder has provided me with a rate for doing the work, but the guy seems more of a tiler and I am concerned that the skim coat could end up being flatted with a belt sander.

Therefore, this forum is my last roll of the dice.

There is 92 m2 of bare brickwork/blockwork wall, which I would prefer to be bonded and skimmed and approx 32m2 of plaster board ceiling to be skimmed.

An adjoining room needs that is approx 4m x 4m needs some patching with bonding and the walls and old latch ceiling to be skimmed.

I have a CAD drawing and a detailed measure of the work area, if required.

If you would like to look at the work area or if you have any questions please let me know.

James
07986 166 281
email: psprojectplanning@gmail.com

View attachment 22550
View attachment 22552
View attachment 22551
View attachment 22546
View attachment 22549
View attachment 22547
I’ll ring you tomorrow me and my cousin float and set he’s based in Leicester if it’s ok he’ll come and quote you and we will do the job together if accepted , atm though we can’t do anything till mid may
Vince

And hardwall is ok if there is no signs of damp but sand and cement doesn’t matter to us tbh

I’ll ring you tomorrow me and my cousin float and set he’s based in Leicester if it’s ok he’ll come and quote you and we will do the job together if accepted , atm though we can’t do anything till mid may
Vince

Ok, I'll speak to you tomorrow then.