Multifinish problems

Is that why some spreads blue grit the walls in case of wallpaper paste or do people still sugar soap them
Never needed to sugar soap , only to clean glossy/ non absorbent surfaces

rang me up and told me the report came back as faulty. they test it
In a lab and also on wall. “Unworkable after 40 mins” if memory serves. I
Managed to finish it but was a ballache. You’d have stood no chance
Only had it once , it was a bag still in date on a site one of the last bags, they kept their mf outside on a pallet overed with a tarp lol

Customers like to do as little as possible. Back in the day you could reccomend they sugar soap it.
Would you sugar soap a wall if wallpaper has been stripped in case there may be wallpaper paste still on the surface the only time I've sugar soaped was a kitchen ceiling that had grime and brown marks from all the smoking the customers did

I use wickes and selco, I got this batch from selco though
It's not so much the use by date that's important it's if it's kept in open sheds exposed to moisture IMO makes all the difference

Hi Folks,
I've been a member for a while and enjoy the forum but never felt the need to post, until now. I have been using Multi for years and have never had a problem with it until the last year or so. It might be great gear to work with for months and out of the blue it's greasy and horrible to lay on and trowel up. I could not get to the bottom of it. What I have found lately in B&Q where I buy multi (nearest merchants and cheapest) is there is a mixture of pallets of the old orange bags and the new darker ones. For me the older bags have been the problematic ones so I decided I would mix a tub up with half and half old and new and it seems to be nicer gear and has worked so far, maybe worth a try or maybe it's a coincidence and the two bags are fine!!! Like some folk on here I never use water when trowelling except on angles and trowels. A definite NO NO for me is Skimming PVA when its wet/tacky. I Always let it dry for at least 5 hours but mostly overnight especially on big areas and then you can see if there are any problem areas the next morning before you start.

Makes me laugh when they say it's all ready for you
Those little patches all over are ok aren't they lol
:ROFLMAO: there's still bits of wallpaper on the skirting line and around radiator brackets coving adhesive still left proud they never fully do it properly lol

:ROFLMAO: there's still bits of wallpaper on the skirting line and around radiator brackets coving adhesive still left proud they never fully do it properly lol
It's ok as long as they're good with a kettle lol

Hi Folks,
I've been a member for a while and enjoy the forum but never felt the need to post, until now. I have been using Multi for years and have never had a problem with it until the last year or so. It might be great gear to work with for months and out of the blue it's greasy and horrible to lay on and trowel up. I could not get to the bottom of it. What I have found lately in B&Q where I buy multi (nearest merchants and cheapest) is there is a mixture of pallets of the old orange bags and the new darker ones. For me the older bags have been the problematic ones so I decided I would mix a tub up with half and half old and new and it seems to be nicer gear and has worked so far, maybe worth a try or maybe it's a coincidence and the two bags are fine!!! Like some folk on here I never use water when trowelling except on angles and trowels. A definite NO NO for me is Skimming PVA when its wet/tacky. I Always let it dry for at least 5 hours but mostly overnight especially on big areas and then you can see if there are any problem areas the next morning before you start.
Welcome aboard , pay no attention to me and @Robbo123 , I'm making it up and he's a remainer , just vote Boris and it'll be allreeet

@Cockney1 can you explain the difference to schoolboy little issues like cold walls n wallpaper paste to actually using bad gear
Multi has been up and down for ages now. The chewing gum shite is the worst and it gives you no indication at all that it’s going to happen till right at the end when you’re trying to trowel it up! Lately thank f**k I haven’t had that happen but it’s just been so greasy when you go to trowel at the end like it’s not completely setting? There’s no difference on any background.

Surely if Multi gets tested and comes back as faulty it would have to be removed from the shelves and we be told not to use it??

Multi is awful sometimes, impossible to get a decent finish.. I would say once every couple of months you get the chewing gum shite.

I use board finish 90% of the time now, although it does suffer the same issues.. it's still more consistent and nicer to use.

Surely if Multi gets tested and comes back as faulty it would have to be removed from the shelves and we be told not to use it??
To think a product is not routinely tested is beyond me , have never had a problem with in date and correct storage , we aren't talking of your local home brew merchants this is " the " company

I got told they knew they were sending out faulty gear from one factory but couldn't figure out why it wasn't right. So they just kept on churning it out there anyway. No fucks given

Multi is awful sometimes, impossible to get a decent finish.. I would say once every couple of months you get the chewing gum shite.

I use board finish 90% of the time now, although it does suffer the same issues.. it's still more consistent and nicer to use.
Silly question but can you use Board finish on re-Skims?

Use board finish over pva without trouble. Small amount of trisodium citrate if needed to extend the setting time. Cheaper than multi also and a lot more predictable.

Pregrit is a total waste of time in my opinion, very rarely needed.

I mix PVA/SBR/Water, roughly 1:1:1, goes way further than just PVA, a lot stronger, much better at controlling suction etc/

And to matey above.. yes Board finish on re skims.
Do you use a weaker mix to first coat or just the one , any diversion to this procedure due to background , wall structure , and do to lay on tacky

And will you vote Boris lol

Do you use a weaker mix to first coat or just the one , any diversion to this procedure due to background , wall structure , and do to lay on tacky

Not used sbr on internals. May have seen @Vincey mention this and @Olican .
Interested to find out advantages of mixing with pva and using tacky or left to dry.

Lol I'm voting Nige or Boris.. undecided yet, all I want is the destruction of Labour and to see Robbos liberal tears.

I do adjust the strength yes, not massively though, use same mix for each coat.. you know how it is plastering.. you just know when it's the right consistency for the circumstances.

I go over dry or tacky, often glue stuff up the day before.. SBR itself doesn't re emulsify when wet as you know but when mixed with PVA it does (you can test it by licking your finger and sticking it to the wall lol).. it's all I use now, so much better than PVA alone.

Not used sbr on internals. May have seen @Vincey mention this and @Olican .
Interested to find out advantages of mixing with pva and using tacky or left to dry.
Never bothered to experiment , not likely to shell out for grit as PVA is second nature , would be a bit concerned at hitting it dry