Mud cracking

FreeD

Private Member
Been to see a re skim...fine hairline mud cracking on all the walls...around about 80s build sand/cement backing coat with multi as finish coat.

I take it this is just shrinkage cracks from when the works was originally done?

Or should I be meshing before skimming?

Fully mesh or they will come back through, get it a lot on houses round my way. I normally give them a quote for full mesh and one for normal skimming with the chance of the cracks coming back through. Most take the normal skimming as cheaper obviously.

Fully mesh or they will come back through, get it a lot on houses round my way. I normally give them a quote for full mesh and one for normal skimming with the chance of the cracks coming back through. Most take the normal skimming as cheaper obviously.

Exactly what I was thinking...only ask as I had a call back not so long ago with similar...I put it down to historic shrinkage...surprised when I saw some had come back through. Thanks Stu.

The cement backing can be like a giant slab that's not stuck to bricks. Can be hollow behind so sometimes you have to remove back to brick and start again. Bit of a job! Think it's movement and the sand and cement has no give so just comes away causing the cracks. Never tried the mesh so that's a new one on me, but can see that working.