More price increases.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23452

Just had a letter from the merchants about yet another round of price increases. Seems to be pretty much across the board, 25% on PVA/SBR, 20 - 30% on OSB, 10% on insulation, 33% on MOT type 1, etc etc. Those are big jumps on their own, but coming on the back of the increases last year and early this year (51% on timber for example) the prices are way beyond pre-pandemic values.

There's going to be a lot of recalculating quotes going on, and plenty of unhappy customers I imagine.

Just had a letter from the merchants about yet another round of price increases. Seems to be pretty much across the board, 25% on PVA/SBR, 20 - 30% on OSB, 10% on insulation, 33% on MOT type 1, etc etc. Those are big jumps on their own, but coming on the back of the increases last year and early this year (51% on timber for example) the prices are way beyond pre-pandemic values.

There's going to be a lot of recalculating quotes going on, and plenty of unhappy customers I imagine.

"Welsh roofing slate" is going to be hard to come by, main supplier is India and I gather it's a mandatory in order to get planning permission in Wales. The fact that the barn conversion was previously in wriggly tin is totally ignored.

Yup, I've been shopping around like everyone. Big increase down here, what do you think is underlying cause or a combination of everything?

Yup, I've been shopping around like everyone. Big increase down here, what do you think is underlying cause or a combination of everything?

I think it's just a perfect storm of sh1t happening, and then some suppliers taking the chance of a bit of cover to add some increases they couldn't get away with before.

Raw materials shortages (steel, timber, limestone), manufacturers shut down then a sudden large increase in demand, production/mining capacity having been cut to the bone before the shut down and increased demand, Covid causing problems in the supply chain, massive increase in DIY, global shipping problems, the ship that got stuck in Suez, all the ships stuck behind the ship that got stuck, Brexit import paperwork (and the French being French!), China and other exporting countries keeping more back so that they don't run out.

Basically everything has been weird for 18 months, so it will take a fair while to shake out and then settle down. The prices won't drop back to their previous levels though, so building costs are just going to be higher.

Mrs Jones' kitchen will take a hit, but imagine the increase for something like the massive sky scrapers they're building in the middle of Birmingham.

Somebody on radio 4 responded to gouging challenge that no, firms were just trying to recover the amount they've lost in costs during shutdown, not profit.
Seems a fair point, if you've been spinning out business loan/bank repayments etc to survive. Some of the big firms with overheads must be hurting.

If you think it's getting bad here some of the prices I'm seeing for timber in USA is scary 98 dollars for a sheet of 18mm ply for example.

If you think it's getting bad here some of the prices I'm seeing for timber in USA is scary 98 dollars for a sheet of 18mm ply for example.

They were buying timber by the shipload to board everything up after the election, and then when the George Floyd trial was on. They're struggling to import as much as they did because of falling out with China and no one else being able to pick up the slack. Of course that could have been avoided or at least mitigated if they hadn't killed off their own timber industry.

Still, at least the USA and UK have plenty of social media influencers, so they won't need to worry too much about construction and manufacturing. Give it 10 or 15 years and skilled trades will be earning more than doctors or solicitors. Supply and demand bites hard.

IF the rumours of the Fed printing money like it's going out of fashion are true, then substantial inflation seems likely, but who knows - there is so much misinformation out there.

£7 a pint incoming...

I've been putting all my money into decentralised finance...no inflation, you can take out loans, earn interest upto 40%, buy and sell and transfer money without fees...

People don't understand decentralised finance yet...it avoids inflation and all fees and cuts out the middle man...

As the system grows you will be able to do everything on the blockchain...you would only get charged taxes/capital gains etc if you exchange the digital asset to fiat currency...but the won't be a need to do that soon.

Everything will be decentralised...you won't even need fiat currency in the first place for example if you are an musician you can use the Audius platform and earn Audio...

stop scaremongering
More so being ripped of by your merchants

if you are not paying for it I would not give it any energy !
Pva £6-7 scrim cheap , screws cheap
Boards & powder is what it is
Quotes valid for 7 days end of

your welcome

I think it's just a perfect storm of sh1t happening, and then some suppliers taking the chance of a bit of cover to add some increases they couldn't get away with before.

Raw materials shortages (steel, timber, limestone), manufacturers shut down then a sudden large increase in demand, production/mining capacity having been cut to the bone before the shut down and increased demand, Covid causing problems in the supply chain, massive increase in DIY, global shipping problems, the ship that got stuck in Suez, all the ships stuck behind the ship that got stuck, Brexit import paperwork (and the French being French!), China and other exporting countries keeping more back so that they don't run out.

Basically everything has been weird for 18 months, so it will take a fair while to shake out and then settle down. The prices won't drop back to their previous levels though, so building costs are just going to be higher.

Mrs Jones' kitchen will take a hit, but imagine the increase for something like the massive sky scrapers they're building in the middle of Birmingham.
Not just direct materials, It's across the board. our skip supplier, insurances, scaffolders, direct labour.

Yeah cashless society coming to your town soon! They are claiming they are “looking into it now” yeah it’s been on the cards from the start on this s**t show. Vaccine passports/carbon footprint score/cashless society. But it’s all just a conspiracy for control right? Just keep a eye out an watch when Covid gets dialled down an they turn there ships on climate change all of a sudden an put fear into everyone on how the worlds away to end. Green energy!!! It’s all a scam. Micheal Moore documentary “planet of the humans”

£7 a pint incoming...

I've been putting all my money into decentralised finance...no inflation, you can take out loans, earn interest upto 40%, buy and sell and transfer money without fees...

People don't understand decentralised finance yet...it avoids inflation and all fees and cuts out the middle man...

As the system grows you will be able to do everything on the blockchain...you would only get charged taxes/capital gains etc if you exchange the digital asset to fiat currency...but the won't be a need to do that soon.

Everything will be decentralised...you won't even need fiat currency in the first place for example if you are an musician you can use the Audius platform and earn Audio...
You mean cryptocurrency

Not just direct materials, It's across the board. our skip supplier, insurances, scaffolders, direct labour.
The skip company we've been using have just gone up fro £200 to £220 for a 7 cube, and they're banding prices depending on the distance from their yard. Their tip costs have gone up, and as you say, their insurance has gone up too so it's all got to be passed on.

stop scaremongering
More so being ripped of by your merchants

if you are not paying for it I would not give it any energy !
Pva £6-7 scrim cheap , screws cheap
Boards & powder is what it is
Quotes valid for 7 days end of

your welcome
Since December 2019 you've done nothing but scaremongering you absolute nut job

The skip company we've been using have just gone up fro £200 to £220 for a 7 cube, and they're banding prices depending on the distance from their yard. Their tip costs have gone up, and as you say, their insurance has gone up too so it's all got to be passed on.
10% and yet official inflation is around 2%.

10% and yet official inflation is around 2%.

Yeah, but that's a figure which relates to single services/goods. Something like the skip company affected by 2% on tip fees, plus 2% on the cost of replacement skips, plus 2% on insurance etc etc Their costs end up increasing by 10% on the cost to their end user.

Same for the likes of our work. I quote a job for £100k to use a round figure, £60k on materials but if timber, PVA, cement etc etc increase along with my insurance and so on it's not going to be a suprise to see more than 10% go on the total job cost.

They were buying timber by the shipload to board everything up after the election, and then when the George Floyd trial was on. They're struggling to import as much as they did because of falling out with China and no one else being able to pick up the slack. Of course that could have been avoided or at least mitigated if they hadn't killed off their own timber industry.

Still, at least the USA and UK have plenty of social media influencers, so they won't need to worry too much about construction and manufacturing. Give it 10 or 15 years and skilled trades will be earning more than doctors or solicitors. Supply and demand bites hard.
Apparently there's only I think, 5, big milling companies in USA who, during covid have reduced their output and now find themselves in a position to charge more due to current demand, while still not at pre covid output. It's all timber in USA not just sheet materials.

Apparently there's only I think, 5, big milling companies in USA who, during covid have reduced their output and now find themselves in a position to charge more due to current demand, while still not at pre covid output. It's all timber in USA not just sheet materials.

Their timber production is mainly the raw material now. The labour rates overseas are way lower so they send millions of tonnes out in the round but process a very small amount by comparison.

Just in time and outsourcing are great for profit margins but they depend on so many elements working together that when one bit goes wrong the lot crumbles. Over the last 12-18 months every element has been badly affected so it's all gone sideways across most industries.

Since December 2019 you've done nothing but scaremongering you absolute nut job
Too funny
I have been offering the first step to paradise since my arrival

However seems most are addicted to their evil way life !
Only one way to break free from that evil way

your welcome

Put my prices up too , had to mate , hopefully like a lot on here 5 more good years we’ll be done
Laugh To No Mike Tyson GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Too funny
I have been offering the first step to paradise since my arrival

However seems most are addicted to their evil way life !
Only one way to break free from that evil way

your welcome
Evil way? Would you care to elaborate.

Put my prices up too , had to mate , hopefully like a lot on here 5 more good years we’ll be done
Laugh To No Mike Tyson GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

I'm changing what I do over the next 12 months or so. I can't give up work just yet, and even if I could I wouldn't want to do nothing. So I figure if I can spend my time doing something which I'm good at, I enjoy and I get paid for I'll be happy as Larry. A couple of years and my outgoings will drop dramatically so I can drop down the time spent then too.

Obviously I'm well aware of the 'we plan, god laughs' aspect to it all, but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. (y)