Mixing multi (fast or slow that's the way uh huh I like it uh huh)

Members online

LarryTheDecorator

Very simple question for the pros - when your mixing the multi with your paddle, should it be done fast or slow (and why is that)? I've seen too many conflicting opinions on youtube to haphazard a guess to the correct method

I do and can't see the difference apart from doing it slow everything takes an age to mix (and not very well), if I was a mayfly i'd be dead before it's ready, on some plaster videos the people swear by mixing slow, I'll take it with a pinch of salt

Go try it. Learn for yourself

I mix up quite slow when it's wet to stop it going every where and then when it's thickened up give it a whizz on full speed to get the lumps out but I'm domestic probably doesn't matter so much on site

That's what I started to do, but wasn't sure if it affects the mixture drying somehow by speeding up the chemical reaction :estudioso:

I mix up quite slow when it's wet to stop it going every where and then when it's thickened up give it a whizz on full speed to get the lumps out but I'm domestic probably doesn't matter so much on site

Just start slow with three quarters of the bag in throw the rest in when that’s mixed then run your drill flat out scrape the spindle of your paddle with a bucket trowel as it spins scrape the s**t off the sides throw it in the bucket and drill the f**k out of it till it’s all creamy and sexy, take your drill out, pick the bucket up and throw the gear on your board and there you go. That’s what we do but we do it all the time so know how much water per bag to use it’s about a yellow or black bucket full but don’t quote me on that

You serious?! It takes me about 5mins, I pour the first multi into it until it's peaked, give it a whisk, then put in a few handfuls at a time - have I been taught a bad method?

It's all in having the right paddle, a good paddle in a good whisk will knock up a mix in approximately 48 seconds

I'm overthinking it again!

Just start slow with three quarters of the bag in throw the rest in when that’s mixed then run your drill flat out scrape the spindle of your paddle with a bucket trowel as it spins scrape the s**t off the sides throw it in the bucket and drill the f**k out of it till it’s all creamy and sexy, take your drill out, pick the bucket up and throw the gear on your board and there you go. That’s what we do but we do it all the time so know how much water per bag to use it’s about a yellow or black bucket full but don’t quote me on that

You serious?! It takes me about 5mins, I pour the first multi into it until it's peaked, give it a whisk, then put in a few handfuls at a time - have I been taught a bad method?
Any longer than a minute for a small mix is over mixing imo . I did my time mixing for 2 hungry spreads so quickness was key

If you are knocking up a full bag, stick three quarters in get your paddle going on it then when it’s mixed in throw the rest in a knock it up till it’s done. I dont think you are over thinking it but using your hands goes back to when the bags were a hundred weight and buckets were small and all we had was a stick and a plunger, obviously if you only need a bit to stiffen it up use your hands, if you are doing half a bag just be a bit careful as the paddle fires the stuff right up in your eye if you have it running flat out

My walls are usually 2m x 2.4m - tiny for you guys but to me it's still pretty sizable :frenetico:

Takes about 9 litres of water - 3/4 bag plaster, that's the most I've done, I can't pick up the tub otherwise, I'm only a gnome lol

I'll take note about a fast mix - that'll certainly give me a good few minutes of workable time!

If you are knocking up a full bag, stick three quarters in get your paddle going on it then when it’s mixed in throw the rest in a knock it up till it’s done. I dont think you are over thinking it but using your hands goes back to when the bags were a hundred weight and buckets were small and all we had was a stick and a plunger, obviously if you only need a bit to stiffen it up use your hands, if you are doing half a bag just be a bit careful as the paddle fires the stuff right up in your eye if you have it running flat out

Mix it fast lad.......then if you think it might go off a bit quick, just whizz it a second or two the opposite way, that’ll slow it right up.

My walls are usually 2m x 2.4m - tiny for you guys but to me it's still pretty sizable :frenetico:

Takes about 9 litres of water - 3/4 bag plaster, that's the most I've done, I can't pick up the tub otherwise, I'm only a gnome lol

I'll take note about a fast mix - that'll certainly give me a good few minutes of workable time!
If that’s skimming over an existing wall it should only take a small half a bag for both coats, are you putting it on to thick?

I could be using too much water too, I prefer the mix to be ever so slightly sloppy as it's easier for me to deal with - for me the texture is like an undercooked chocolate mousse

It sounds about right, one bag says it does ten metres but does about twelve to thirteen on flattish walls. Your wall is just under five metres so a small half should do it

I used to gauge consistency by putting some on bucket trowel then turn it till its on edge. If it just 'gripped' for a sec then slid off, thought it was about right.