Meterage rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything clemo in and out..even on just internal I still changing tools mixing tubs and timing..think most plasterers will agree we are always trying to improve how we do our work.
External I am late getting into ewi and monocouche and now machines as well..even a few weeks ago the therm skim thing at 1mm on here I was thinking gosh something else again,another change,does it work,I not got a clue until I see and have a go.
If you know what I mean

Yes I know exactly what you mean. But there is a lot on here that just do skimming. U can't say u are always learning just doing that. Thats the way I see it anyway. To me a plasterer is internal and external. A skimmer is a skimmer.

Everything clemo in and out..even on just internal I still changing tools mixing tubs and timing..think most plasterers will agree we are always trying to improve how we do our work.
External I am late getting into ewi and monocouche and now machines as well..even a few weeks ago the therm skim thing at 1mm on here I was thinking gosh something else again,another change,does it work,I not got a clue until I see and have a go.
If you know what I mean
image.jpeg
Gosh indeed!!

Yes I know exactly what you mean. But there is a lot on here that just do skimming. U can't say u are always learning just doing that. Thats the way I see it anyway. To me a plasterer is internal and external. A skimmer is a skimmer.

most domestic plasterers only need to be able to skim...

The word plasterer is used very vaguely now.
A plasterer used to be a skilled worker who could do any of the wet trades and associated works.
Now the term plasterer is used rarely does it mean the same.
It now has sub categories under its meaning.
So you have dri-liners, tackers, skimmers, renderers, screeders etc.
This has come from sites in my opinion and also those quick courses.
People have seemed to concentrate on just of the above and not all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most domestic plasterers only need to be able to skim...

So when u turn up on a job when a client says I want the room reskrim and a wall out the back rendered. Do u not think it looks on professional to say I only do skimming. I just don't get how u could be a plasterer if it is only skimming u can do.

So when u turn up on a job when a client says I want the room reskrim and a wall out the back rendered. Do u not think it looks on professional to say I only do skimming.

Absolutely... but most most domestics wont entertain it... I would when I was... but it breaks up the mundane task of skimming.... but 99% of domestic is skimming.... that odd one or two a chancer wil chance and he can always fob it off to a renderer :D

Been on site recently and the so called spread wouldn't render a external wall as he only done skimming, and that was shocking as well

If a lad is depending on skimming work alone in rural areas he'd be sitting at home a lot of days.

I'm domestic and can do all aspects @Danny I'm pretty sure most of my domestics ain't just skimming I can render as well and I be honest I prefer the sand cement to skimming all day long spent 18months on German embassy doing the rendering although wouldn't let the blokes I was working with let them know I called it rendering the was restoration/restorers all free hand stuff and not a bead in site learnt a lot about rendering from them blokes

I'm domestic and can do all aspects @Danny I'm pretty sure most of my domestics ain't just skimming I can render as well and I be honest I prefer the sand cement to skimming all day long spent 18months on German embassy doing the rendering although wouldn't let the blokes I was working with let them know I called it rendering the was restoration/restorers all free hand stuff and not a bead in site learnt a lot about rendering from them blokes
It's a nice finish when no beads are used.

Agreed ,that's why always got jobs coming in.

I dont see the problem if you only Skim ,as long as you earn your money and keep busy ,to many like to blow smoke up their own Arse by saying they can"do it all "

Last edited:
It's a nice finish when no beads are used.
I got taught how to make little wooden boat floats and how to use the right wood to make and the thing I found really hard to get my head around was how they would put a load on not rule off go tea for half hour and come back and rule off and rub up as they went always looked the nuts I will say but it was something I didn't find adapting to easy hence why plastering/restoration is totally different did enjoy it though

We used to make wood floats, after making my first handle they gave me some wood to put on it
I dont see the problem if you only Skim ,as long as you earn your money and keep busy ,to many like to blow smoke up their own Arse by saying they can"do it all "
Yeah but as we all know saying and doing are two different things

Got a taxi home last night the cabbie said "I love this job I love being my own boss, I take the jobs I want and leave the rest, pretty much do what I like when I like with no one telling me what to do".
Nice I said "turn left here".
I tried being a cab driver once had to pack it in hated all them people talking behind my back

Well should of stated black cab in my post really,my mate just passed his and been doing it I ain't got it in me to go what he went through

Well should of stated black cab in my post really,my mate just passed his and been doing it I ain't got it in me to go what he went through
My mate was doing the knowledge for 5 years jumped on a cab beginning of last year, after 2 weeks he was not impressed wanted to come and work with me, but he's doing OK these days, still haven't made enough to buy his own cab he's paying 250 per week for a middle man for it, he says its not as glorious as it was 10-15 years ago

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My mate was doing the knowledge for 5 years jumped on a cab beginning of last year, after 2 weeks he was not impressed wanted to come and work with me, but he's doing OK these days, still haven't made enough to buy his own cab he's paying 250 per week for a middle man for it, he says its not as glorious as it was 10-15 years ago

That's exactly how my mate is he is a painter and rents his cab said it ain't as easy as he thought it would be so still does the painting then does few hours each night to get in swing of it fair play to blokes who can do it though

My mate hates it but he put so much effort into it can't jack it in. His Mrs thought she's on a winner as soon as he got the cab she jacked her job in, month down the line she had to go back to work to survive.

My mate hates it but he put so much effort into it can't jack it in. His Mrs thought she's on a winner as soon as he got the cab she jacked her job in, month down the line she had to go back to work to survive.

Lucky my mate is a single bloke trouble is even in that game there is a load of people wanting to do it cos they think it's easy money like our game

Lucky my mate is a single bloke trouble is even in that game there is a load of people wanting to do it cos they think it's easy money like our game
Nothing is ever easy, I wanted to do the minicab one years ago to do Fri and sat at clubs, but couldn't be bothered in the end, would've had to work me socks off to make it pay doing 2 nights only along full time work.

Status
Not open for further replies.