Marshy eats big slice of Humble Pie !?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Private Member
Those of you that know me will be well aware of my dislike of Nela s*p*r*lex and the original premium trowels and my run ins with Ryan (plasterers1stopshop) are well documented !?
To be fair Ryan asked me to try the "new" improved premium as he was convinced I may change my one sided view over the Nela range?
The trowel arrived well over a week ago and apart from changing the cork handle to the better rubber one I didn't bother with it as I've been plaster boarding only up till yesterday when I had a bit of hardwall to chuck on. Opened my trowel box and thought I'd give the Nela a go? The trowel feels nice and light but the blade firm but nothing like the original ! Definatley more like my Marshaltown Extralite. I must admit I liked using it but no sooner I got started the work was done!
Today I was plastering over heavy artex / part plasterboarded ceilings and they are a terrible shape at this old farmhouse. I thought right let's just see how the Nela copes with this? I did three coats the first with a good chuck of bonding to get over the worst then two coats of multi. The Nela not only coped it was enjoyable to use and despite the awful shape of the ceilings it hardly left any lines filling out and come skimming the multi it left no lines at all! I gave the ceilings two trowels with it and I was impressed. It left a great flat finish with no blemishes or slacks to speak of. Must admit I gave it a quick waltz over with my s*p*r*lex but this premium is brand new. I've owned and still have 4 Marshaltown Extralites but never would I have done these ceilings with any of them when they were brand new! They takes months of cement render to break them in to skim with efficiently?
Don't get me wrong Marshaltown are my favourites but this new Nela is defiantly going along the right lines but I can't speak for rendering with one yet as that will have to wait till next week.
So in short would I buy one of these new Nelas? Yes I would for a spare skimming trowel no question. Is it better or as good as a Marshaltown Extralite? I think it needs to perform and last years of hard graft to earn that right. I just hope it does as well with my cement work next week?
I think I will have some cream with my big slice of humble pie!?? :RpS_biggrin:

Those of you that know me will be well aware of my dislike of Nela s*p*r*lex and the original premium trowels and my run ins with Ryan (plasterers1stopshop) are well documented !?
To be fair Ryan asked me to try the "new" improved premium as he was convinced I may change my one sided view over the Nela range?
The trowel arrived well over a week ago and apart from changing the cork handle to the better rubber one I didn't bother with it as I've been plaster boarding only up till yesterday when I had a bit of hardwall to chuck on. Opened my trowel box and thought I'd give the Nela a go? The trowel feels nice and light but the blade firm but nothing like the original ! Definatley more like my Marshaltown Extralite. I must admit I liked using it but no sooner I got started the work was done!
Today I was plastering over heavy artex / part plasterboarded ceilings and they are a terrible shape at this old farmhouse. I thought right let's just see how the Nela copes with this? I did three coats the first with a good chuck of bonding to get over the worst then two coats of multi. The Nela not only coped it was enjoyable to use and despite the awful shape of the ceilings it hardly left any lines filling out and come skimming the multi it left no lines at all! I gave the ceilings two trowels with it and I was impressed. It left a great flat finish with no blemishes or slacks to speak of. Must admit I gave it a quick waltz over with my s*p*r*lex but this premium is brand new. I've owned and still have 4 Marshaltown Extralites but never would I have done these ceilings with any of them when they were brand new! They takes months of cement render to break them in to skim with efficiently?
Don't get me wrong Marshaltown are my favourites but this new Nela is defiantly going along the right lines but I can't speak for rendering with one yet as that will have to wait till next week.
So in short would I buy one of these new Nelas? Yes I would for a spare skimming trowel no question. Is it better or as good as a Marshaltown Extralite? I think it needs to perform and last years of hard graft to earn that right. I just hope it does as well with my cement work next week?
I have a 16 premium,just use it for render and floating to wear it in,its a good trowel,i got it about 3 months ago i wonder if it is a new one or the old style,ryan @Plasterers1StopShop may know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wasn't keen on the first one. This one has a bit of flex and will find out if its too soft with the render next week? But for a brand new trowel (not s*p*r*lex) to skim like this did? I was very happy with it I have to say.

I have a feeling mine is the old model,as it hasn't much flex and does need wearing in more before i use it for skimming,I love it for rendering and in time will be my main skimming trowel,its good that nela and p1ss have listened to the user's and made alterations accordingly.:RpS_thumbup:

Cheers Marshy. Appreciate the post and thanks for giving NELA another shot at the title ;-) As I said before mate, we are here to listen to the trade and where improvements can be made we will aim to do this and become one of the best.

Again mate, I do appreciate you taking the time to give the NELA a go but also taking time out to write this. Cheers Mate

I have a feeling mine is the old model,as it hasn't much flex and does need wearing in more before i use it for skimming,I love it for rendering and in time will be my main skimming trowel,its good that nela and p1ss have listened to the user's and made alterations accordingly.:RpS_thumbup:
Indeed and I shall be using this new premium tomorrow in fact for the next while as I promised Ryan I'd give it a proper testing. This trowel is (in my opinion) a big step forward for Nela. Never thought I'd hear myself say that !? More pie for me lol :RpS_laugh:

Indeed and I shall be using this new premium tomorrow in fact for the next while as I promised Ryan I'd give it a proper testing. This trowel is (in my opinion) a big step forward for Nela. Never thought I'd hear myself say that !? More pie for me lol :RpS_laugh:

I don't know who is in more shock @Marshy you or me :RpS_thumbup:

I have some of my early Marshaltowns in the Garage on a rack all ready to go, just incase they ever get knicked out the van.

I have a nela premium and its sat in the van barely used as its too stiff for me. Also means once broken in itll last but I haven't got the patience

This new premium is not as stiff as the first one and its possible to skim with it straight away ! Even on ceilings all over the place !? As I said I didn't like the original but I do like this new version of it.

This new premium is not as stiff as the first one and its possible to skim with it straight away ! Even on ceilings all over the place !? As I said I didn't like the original but I do like this new version of it.

I need to get a look at the new version sounds good to me :)

I need to get a look at the new version sounds good to me :)
You won't be dissapointed Danny let's face it mate its the first time I've ever said anything positive about Nela but I can't argue with something when its good ! :RpS_thumbup:

I had to eat a slice of that pie @Marshy, it tastes horrible but i deserved some. My mate bought one and i gave him **** til it arrived & when he used it (and had terrible lines) stuff like. "You gullible ****" "out the box my arse"

Turns out his was slightly bent and when i used it after it was great. Ordered one a week later and love it now.

I hate humble pie.

I had to eat a slice of that pie @Marshy, it tastes horrible but i deserved some. My mate bought one and i gave him **** til it arrived & when he used it (and had terrible lines) stuff like. "You gullible ****" "out the box my arse"

Turns out his was slightly bent and when i used it after it was great. Ordered one a week later and love it now.

I hate humble pie.

Hahaha brilliant :)

I hate humble pie.
Hahahaha nice one pal I'm just glad it isn't just me!? I'm a stubborn old mule but have to give credit where its due. Thanks for that mate :RpS_thumbup:

Yeah i know where your coming from, im 30, been plastering 14 years (with a small time out the game) and its surprising how regimented you become. Certain tools and brands, ways of doing things, there all "how" it should be but occasionally something crops up and were just gunna have to get on board.

Ill kick like **** until im there though haha

I've been plastering for 20 years now and I've always used marshalltown trowels mainly because there was nothing else worth using,that was until my boss bought me a nela 14 inch trowel. I must admit it was difficult to use at first because the blade is very solid ,it doesn't flex like marshaltown trowels so it took some perseverance but now I use it for everything including rendering.I've also got a 14 inch s*p*r*lex trowel and I've never come across any trowel that leaves a finish like it.my marshals haven't come out of the van since.

I've been plastering for 20 years now and I've always used marshalltown trowels mainly because there was nothing else worth using,that was until my boss bought me a nela 14 inch trowel. I must admit it was difficult to use at first because the blade is very solid ,it doesn't flex like marshaltown trowels so it took some perseverance but now I use it for everything including rendering.I've also got a 14 inch s*p*r*lex trowel and I've never come across any trowel that leaves a finish like it.my marshals haven't come out of the van since.
I have the original nela premium,I am in the process of breaking it in at the min,I use it for floating and rendering and it's getting there but there's no rush as my my is ok until the nela is ready,the new premium came out in November so the next one you get won't take so long to wear in.the super flex is a great tool,I love mine,I have not long recieved a nela s*p*r*lex midget trowel,cracking little trowel.:RpS_thumbup:

I'll have to check one of those out.the only bad thing with the s*p*r*lex trowel is that the trowel is made up of two sections, the blade and another piece that the handle is attached to I think they must glue them together or something but it seems to be separating at the ends so I'll have to 're glue it somehow.

I'll have to check one of those out.the only bad thing with the s*p*r*lex trowel is that the trowel is made up of two sections, the blade and another piece that the handle is attached to I think they must glue them together or something but it seems to be separating at the ends so I'll have to 're glue it somehow.
Yes they glue the blade as such a thin piece of stainless and rivets wouldn't work,I know it has been mentioned they had some teething problems with the glue they used in the early batch/batches,I'm sure the new sf came out November around the time of the premium and this batch is a new glue so should be ok.where did you get it from and when did you purchase it?the reason I ask is Ryan from the plasterers one stop shop works closely with nela and may be able to help if the trowel was brought from him:RpS_thumbup:

Hi Taylor, with the blade thickness unfortunately this is the only way it can be made. It's too think for rivets or welds. As mentioned, if you inform the company you bought the trowel from it will be replaced FOC if it is coming apart. The new s*p*r*lex Trowels from NELA have been redesigned and have a far better bond

@beddy try the new premium mate if its not what i descibe?? I will buy itback if not damaged !?? Is that fair?? Make sure its 16" tho as not keen on diddy trowels

A trowel is a trowel though. I understand if people like the s*p*r*lex because it saves time if you like then etc but the premium does nothing a normal mt wont do so I wouldn't buy one.

A trowel is a trowel though. I understand if people like the s*p*r*lex because it saves time if you like then etc but the premium does nothing a normal mt wont do so I wouldn't buy one.
Thats fair enough bud im testing the new premium and not touched my MT since as as far as im concerned if your testing something it has to do everything?? Only other trowel i use is my refina superted and plazzi to pisspainters off

We got them from the plasterers one stop shop I think we got them in September or possibly October 2014. Got 2 premium trowels and a 14 and 16 s*p*r*lex,my boss says there's been no trouble with the 16 but I don't use that one I just use the 14 ,I think I'd be in trouble without it now if it broke

Status
Not open for further replies.