Long hall/stair runs

Leyland

Hoping for a bit of advice please.

Have started skimming over Artex on the walls in my hallway. Done a few sections of the wall now and going well so far, not perfect by any stretch but better than the Artex.

Its an old house, double height ceilings and split landing/stairs, so the run on that wall is obviously too much for me, having not long started skimming, to do in one hit. The lower section from front door to an archway for example is 4m x 2m (ceiling to Dado Rail). I know that will be nothing to you guys but working off a scaff plank and 2 sets of steps to get the height and not being the quickest is probably as much as I can get through before running out of time.

What’s the best way of splitting that run into manageable sections? I’m skimming quite thin onto the walls to keep as much of the Dado Rail exposed as possible, so don’t know how practical it would be to stop bead a section at a time? Is that even a good idea?

Cheers

Have started skimming over Artex on the walls in my hallway. Done a few sections of the wall now and going well so far, not perfect by any stretch but better than the Artex.

Its an old house, double height ceilings and split landing/stairs, so the run on that wall is obviously too much for me, having not long started skimming, to do in one hit. The lower section from front door to an archway for example is 4m x 2m (ceiling to Dado Rail). I know that will be nothing to you guys but working off a scaff plank and 2 sets of steps to get the height and not being the quickest is probably as much as I can get through before running out of time.

What’s the best way of splitting that run into manageable sections? I’m skimming quite thin onto the walls to keep as much of the Dado Rail exposed as possible, so don’t know how practical it would be to stop bead a section at a time? Is that even a good idea?

Cheers
No save some money and get a pro in when you can afford it the hsl is the first thing you see when you walk into a house

Cheers

not the best place to start if you’re learning IMO

Already had pros in for other parts of the house. In the main it’s OK but not exceptional. I’m still having to sand and flatten. In sections it’s actually terrible, including 2 sections of wall were it’s failed to bond at all and fell away. It’s the reason I picked up a trowel myself as thought couldn’t do any worse. Let’s put it this way, wouldn’t get the last lot in again as I’ve genuinely got a better finish on the bits I’ve done myself.

I’ve been quoted around £3k for the hall stairs and landing before now. Even if I had the £3k lying around I wouldn’t spend that kind of money, makes no sense to me. Either I’m being priced high as don’t want the job or I’m being unrealistic in pricing expectations.

I will be doing it myself come what may, just hoping to pick up advice on how to break the longest run up to give me a fighting chance.

Already had pros in for other parts of the house. In the main it’s OK but not exceptional. I’m still having to sand and flatten. In sections it’s actually terrible, including 2 sections of wall were it’s failed to bond at all and fell away. It’s the reason I picked up a trowel myself as thought couldn’t do any worse. Let’s put it this way, wouldn’t get the last lot in again as I’ve genuinely got a better finish on the bits I’ve done myself.

I’ve been quoted around £3k for the hall stairs and landing before now. Even if I had the £3k lying around I wouldn’t spend that kind of money, makes no sense to me. Either I’m being priced high as don’t want the job or I’m being unrealistic in pricing expectations.

I will be doing it myself come what may, just hoping to pick up advice on how to break the longest run up to give me a fighting chance.
The reason that the 'pro's' you've had in haven't met your expectations is because your expectations are too high for what you were willing to pay for. Simples.
I have absolutely no interest in giving you any advice other than; pay for a decent spread.
All you other Muppets offering advice should hang your heads in shame, you are traitors to the trade.

@Cockney1 is that ok for you?

The reason that the 'pro's' you've had in haven't met your expectations is because your expectations are too high for what you were willing to pay for. Simples.
I have absolutely no interest in giving you any advice other than; pay for a decent spread.
All you other Muppets offering advice should hang your heads in shame, you are traitors to the trade.

My bad thought this was the DIY section.

As I’ve not said what I paid and what for you must have the power of prescience but thanks for your reply