london day rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prices have gone mental but it will go the other way its just hard to see past it at the moment personally we have tried staying off comercial sites at the moment but if we have too we will.

What you have to realise is we have all been on LSD for the past 10 yrs and now the party is over. In other words the dealers the banks have been arrested.
You will never see a boom like in 20 yrs from now.

Nah its pretty secular its just a way the government trys to controll us i bet every one was saying the same thing in the late 80s and early 90s and things got better i think the 70s had it as well, nothing to panic about just gotta get your head down and dig in.

Bod don't talk about it, when I was labouring I would hear the lads talk about all these rates they were getting. 1 lad told me a story that he was on his way home from London for the weekend when he got a call saying they needed a floor screeding asap, took him a few hours and doubled his weeks wages. I set up on my own and people are talking about being paid 1.65m2!!!!

Shapeshifter, where about are you? Im On the Kingston Road/Ewell by pass, just a mile up from Tolworth, about the same distance down the A3 to London (central London anyway)

I lot of lads charge £500 a room down here to, my mate charges more sometimes dunno how how he gets the work but he does, all about how you carry yourself, I never get more than £250 to £275 and that's far to cheap, ******* kill yourself skimming an artex ceiling and all the Walls for that, done it to many times, much better doing it over 2 days.....

Exactly, average front room is two nice days work, 400quid is an alright price, and fairly easy to get, I got that for boarding and skimming a 4x3m ceiling the other day.

Im sure a room could be done in a day.

the most I got for a room was ceiling and walls with a chimney breast in it was £300 about four years ago. done in a day. I wouldnt dream of charging that now.
Its not know all bullshit either I just wouldnt charge it. If you look for the hourly rate of a plasterer you would not come up with a day working out at £200 + I run my business by the industry and use industry rates as I do lots of contracting work with Quantity surveyors and these are the rates that are expected, If i had a shop I would charge around 50p for a mars bar not 2.50 thats how it is. I get my rates from BCIS or RICS where do you get your rates? I can answer that - of the top of your head!

I dont blame yer for charging it lads fair play - if the stupid cnuts are too lazy to shop around or can only get the work at those prices then count yourselves lucky for being in that situation but all I am trying to say is they are unrealistic prices on the whole and if you are luck enough to get it then well done keep trying to get it

Fair play to you lads for getting them prices, you must be the highest paId spreads in the uk. If you went anywhere else you get told
DONT PISS DOWN MY BACK AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING

But they dont get them rates day in day out !!!!!
You see you can charge £250 a room lid and 4 walls and get for example 8x jobs a month so £2000.
or you could charge £500 a room x 4 jobs = £2000 materials fuel costs all the same give or take few quid.
Now just cus one person charges double the price of a cheaper spread doesnt mean hes a bad spread or a poor business man.
I doubt there is little extra income what ever you charge becuse its all relative to how many jobs a year and total income and associated running costs etc.

How i see it is i like to charge a fair price and get more customers,i get more customers through doing more jobs.Most the guys that charge a lot more for the work probably advertise more or have bigger outgoings at the end of the day i doubt any of us make much more money than the next man even if we charge double the amount.

ecactly skimming2day, If you wanna knock a room out a day at 250quid, it means you have to find twice as many jobs, yes at the end of the month you may come out on top (earn more dough) but Id rather charge more, and work less hard over the month thus enjoying my jobs more and not killing myself (just my opinion, if you enjoy working ya tits off thats fair game)

Plasterjfe - its nothing to do with us taking the piss out of peole, 5 years ago we could charge even more down this end, I know builders who charge a lot more than I do, and it beggers belief, I dunno how they get away with it! The customers I/we work for do shop around, and I know for a fact Im not the dearest, just not the cheapest either! you say we just pick the rates off the top of our heads, and you know the ACTUAL rates, but how is that so.. if we are getting these rates, and a lot of other people round this way are too, does that not make them equally as official rates? I have also just seen where you are from, your from manchester, how on earth can you compare the two places? your cost of living up there is minimal in relation to here!

I have records of rates for all uk areas inner outer london etc they only fluctuate in pence per M anyways up and down the country. And I aint sayin that the rates are official just what are used by the industry professionals. I agree that plastering is a free market especially th domestic market- if you read my other posts you will see that. like I said fair play for getting that money. all i am saying is you are lucky and you should realise that instead of bandin about the "i wouldnt get out of bed for that" attitude when there are good spreads out of work right now. its unlikely the majority of plasterers would get them prices so a good situation you are in, be grateful.

I have records of rates for all uk areas inner outer london etc they only fluctuate in pence per M anyways up and down the country. And I aint sayin that the rates are official just what are used by the industry professionals. I agree that plastering is a free market especially th domestic market- if you read my other posts you will see that. like I said fair play for getting that money. all i am saying is you are lucky and you should realise that instead of bandin about the "i wouldnt get out of bed for that" attitude when there are good spreads out of work right now. its unlikely the majority of plasterers would get them prices so a good situation you are in, be grateful.

I havent said I wouldnt get out of bed for anything, if I lived elsewhere then I would HAVE to work for the rates you are on about, but the fact is I dont and a lot of us dont, we live in an expensive area, so get the best prices, dont start preaching to me about it as I never once said I didnt appreciate it! you had an issue with what we get down here and a couple of times said we were RIPPING people off, YOU had the issue with us, not us having an issue with the rates around the country! if you thought it was that easy down here, you could come live here, but then youd soon realise that we dont have any more spare cash than the likes of you up there, simply due to living costs!

I aint singled you out freerider my comments are aimed at the other side of my argument in general not any one person ok. Plus i think 500 to skim a room is a rip off. IMO. never siad YOU were going round ripping people off. I also congratulated people who are managing to pull this kind money for such small jobs. There was a post on the other side of the argument that used the "i wouldnt get out of bed attitude" and 80 is for labouring only. but I never accused YOU personally of having such an attitude like I said i am pointing out the two sides of the argument. nothing personal. the forum is here for debate. If we cant have a debate the issues in our day to day job then WTF is th point of a forum at all. there atre two opposing views on plastering being debated on the plastering forum. so calm down calm down.

P.S. get yourself a map :RpS_wink:

Shapeshifter, where about are you? Im On the Kingston Road/Ewell by pass, just a mile up from Tolworth, about the same distance down the A3 to London (central London anyway)

I used to have a flat above Blockbuster on the Tolworth Roundabout, opposite the (what used to be) Toby Jug. Not a bad place. Bit pricey though!

Ok mate no worries, same old story, you dont hear tone of voice over the internet so stuff can come across arsey even if not intended!

And you say get a map.. is that cos you aint from Manchester? :p may I just point out one last thing, people seem to forget the price of living where we live in and around London is insane, so the rates we get for jobs are all jsut in relation to living in the area, if I was to live up north, and knock out a room for 250quid, even take two days at it, 100quid a day every day of the year isnt actually a bad wage, we could rent two 3 bedroom houses up north for the price it costs us just too pay the mortgage on a two bedroom house or even flat down here!

And to matey boy ^ above block buster, very local to me that is!

Map was a joke hinting at your manchester post yeah. My tone of voice only ever changes when I am at the match the rest of the time its cool maaaan even in type mode.

I agree the cost of living in some parts is a joke. unjustified in most cases

I aint singled you out freerider my comments are aimed at the other side of my argument in general not any one person ok. Plus i think 500 to skim a room is a rip off. IMO. never siad YOU were going round ripping people off. I also congratulated people who are managing to pull this kind money for such small jobs. There was a post on the other side of the argument that used the "i wouldnt get out of bed attitude" and 80 is for labouring only. but I never accused YOU personally of having such an attitude like I said i am pointing out the two sides of the argument. nothing personal. the forum is here for debate. If we cant have a debate the issues in our day to day job then WTF is th point of a forum at all. there atre two opposing views on plastering being debated on the plastering forum. so calm down calm down.

P.S. get yourself a map :RpS_wink:

If you didnt charge it, and lived down here, youd just be ripping yourself off. How you can say its a rip off is beyond me. You are a spread, so surley you should want to earn as much as possible. Why limit your own earning potential?

I think your seriously undervaluing your own ability, service and skills by saying you and the service you provide isnt worth £500 for a room youve just made new again (if you lived here.

Just my opinion.... which at the end of the day is why this thread will just go round and round and round.

If you didnt charge it, and lived down here, youd just be ripping yourself off. How you can say its a rip off is beyond me. You are a spread, so surley you should want to earn as much as possible. Why limit your own earning potential?

I think your seriously undervaluing your own ability, service and skills by saying you and the service you provide isnt worth £500 for a room youve just made new again (if you lived here.

Just my opinion.... which at the end of the day is why this thread will just go round and round and round.

I dont undervalue what I do but as a contracting firm I have to use the industry rates commonly used by QS's in fact I have been throwing some tenders in the bin because I will not work for the rates expected at the mo because I fear I couldnt get the men to complete the contracts when my competitors are paying less than 2 nicker/M and prob charging less than 3/M to supply and contract it but I do value my skills a little higher yes because I wont go out plastereing when I can get the same money working in tesco extra wich requires no skill at all so I do measure that side of it.

Any how like I said fair play 2 yer.

way i see it is I wouldnt jepordise a job by pricing at 500 and doing it nice over 2 days I would try to gaurantee the job by pricing lower at half that and try to get it done in one day but still if it took a day and a morning set at least the job is in the bag. thats my main point really. Plasterers are ten a penny and keeping prices keen to win work is the trend at the mo

At the end of the day we just all have different ways of working, some wanna smash out the metreage (room a day) some like me wanna take it bit easier and do it in two! I personally would still charge two days money if it was a day and a mornings work, cos I really dont wanna be packing up and going elsewhere, its hard enough to find enough work as it is let alone when you start bringing half days into the equation lol

and we all have ideas of whats a fair wage etc/ so **** it, us suverners are minted living the life of riley, and you northern monkeys cant even begin to imagine how well off it makes us down here doing a room for 500 nicker! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.