late payers but a freind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plastered a bedroom for my best mate he's also my plumber we never exchange money all I ask is that I get feed and watered

I charged my brother £250.00 to skim his small kitchen, £400 to do his staircase, my aunt got charged £120 to skim her hallway ceiling, never had a problem but always charge what I would normally.

i did a job for a guy I know who dropped me a new gearbox in my old Astra van, my old mans friend, he charged me £150 which is a great price so I looked after him when I plastered his living room/diner, 2 months later his neighbour rings me wanting his living room skimmed, gets up there and give him a price of about £450, he turns around and says "you did glyns next door for £200.00, Im wanting the same price" and "I want it doing on a Sunday, I politely told him to fook off, but it just shows you how these things snowball.

a "friend" who I had not heard from for about 3 years text me 12 months ago, "hey up pal, hope your ok, not heard from you in a while we should go for a beer, just bought a house with our lass and we want the kitchen plastering"

it goes without saying he didn't get the reply he wanted

Reading some of this makes me think I must be soft.
Been working round my sisters new house again today, overboard and skim the whole house. And fitting a plain run cornice same as what I had in my old house as she always liked it. I'm not charging her a penny for my time. Money isn't everything to me, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I earn decent when I'm on paying jobs. I have a nice car, van, house, bikes etc. I want her to have the same.

Hello wez my long lost brother:)

just an update builder turned up knocking on my front door on sunday morning paid in full at last

There is no shame in asking him for your money. Ask him. The worst he can say is no! - If he says no he's no friend, so go to the petty claims court £10 charge and get them to get you the money + £20 interest.

Everyone has bills, everyone tries to settle them. He is not being either fair or friendly.

Look guys, female here.... Hubby and I are up **** creek cos he's owed over £k100, That we have been **** on, does not mean that we would **** on someone else.
In order to make sure we had enough money in the bank to pay our renderer, I sold all my jewelry including my engagement ring......

There is a very old adage - do unto others as you would wish them to do to you.

That you are asking about the money means you need it...... YOU NEED IT! so ask for it! his money is in property? Tough YOU NEED IT!

I am so soft, and do so very much for so many people, I am always the one who loses out. ! am 48, for god sake do not me a fool such as I.

You need the money! you are owed the money, ask for it!!!!

Will it make you feel bad to ask for something which is owed? Probably, but you will not spend years like me feeling like a bloody fool for not asking! (Because I like you am a walk over!)

Look guys, female here.... Hubby and I are up **** creek cos he's owed over £k100, That we have been **** on, does not mean that we would **** on someone else.
In order to make sure we had enough money in the bank to pay our renderer, I sold all my jewelry including my engagement ring......

That you are asking about the money means you need it...... YOU NEED IT! so ask for it! his money is in property? Tough YOU NEED IT!

I am so soft, and do so very much for so many people, I am always the one who loses out. ! am 48, for god sake do not me a fool such as I.

Will it make you feel bad to ask for something which is owed? Probably, but you will not spend years like me feeling like a bloody fool for not asking! (Because I like you am a walk over!)
That's a huge amount,, life changing, trust is a funny commodity,can't always cash it in. I know been a 48 yr old fool also

When my Sister suffered amnesia over the 2 grand I had loaned her 6 months previously, I simply emailed her my bank details - The money was repaid and never mentioned in conversation.

That's a huge amount,, life changing, trust is a funny commodity,can't always cash it in. I know been a 48 yr old fool also

There in lies the problem, it is life changing but it becomes less and less about the money, and more about the lies, excuses and the inability of the person who owes to appreciate the position they have put you in. It doesn't matter how much it is, it is a principle.

You constantly ask yourself how could someone do this? And yes we all get the excuses. You're owed because he's put his money into property. But he still has the property! - We said we'd have to sell the car, could he not sell his private number plate. 'Oh I couldn't do that I have always wanted one'. But we need the car! - I'm sorry I can't help. So we lose the car and he keeps his car and the private number plate.

It truly becomes less about the money and more about how much you didn't know somebody. That is what hurts the most!

Please ask him for the money. if he comes up with an excuse don't accept it. Or like we did acept it and cut him off.

Its a matter of principle at the end of the day. Don't let it eat at you!

so, we all have our horror stories of not being paid off builders/customers etc, but at time of writing I have now being waiting for 8 weeks for 200.00 quid, problem is I know the lad well in fact we both started on the same day at john laings in 1976, this is not the first time I have had to wait, I know I will get paid but also I should not have to wait this long , and it puts me in an awkward situation, me being me I will wait as I know I will get paid, but I should not have to wait this long,....... anybody out there who have had late payers/bad payers/lost money off so called mates, how do you deal with it but at the same time trying to keep that friendship going, this is a question about friends/mates/family members etc,
This has been the best post of the year , nice one Hector!

Where do you live gorgeous? :RpS_cool:

Where do you live gorgeous? :RpS_cool:

Now there is an interesting question, the police aren't so sure!, highways have a distinct problem! Truth is the road is in one county and the house is in another. I think we may well have found a piece of heaven.!

Well it will be if we ever get the bloody work done! - James, I was however born in Rugby, not a million miles away from you.

Oh, are you single.

if you're ever in sheffield and fancy a candle lit KFC...........
Cassie is your man

Mac I had the best builders and brickies and plasterers anybody could hope for....... They all came from sheffield and around for me and Hubby.

Mac ----Bad news-- nearly 50 fat and frumpy!!!!! but thanks for making my night! (Ah if you'd seen me 20 years ago!)

ps. Just don't get the KFC, more inclined to make fresh Thai green curry :)

good honest sensible comments underwood, well apart from the green thai curry, I had some in York this year not impressed but anyhoooo hope your building work goes okay

Status
Not open for further replies.