late payers but a freind

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how close he is.. If he's really close then maybe not worth falling out over £200 and best to write it off.. If he ain't that close hassle him lime you would any customer

If he's a true friend he'll come good in the end

a close friend would not do this,also to say write off £200 you must be stupid. this is what c unts like "his mate" count on to not pay.

Always remember "every penny is a prisoner".

I have neither lent my older brother (11yr my senior) money or did any work gratis for him since he bumped me for 40 quid in 1982 took him 10yr of fook off when he asked, before the penny dropped that it would never happen again.

I also know a lad who about 15 yr ago gave his brother in law 27k to build him an extension and all he got was the foundations and the lads sister called him all the coonts cos he wanted his money back a year after he had gave it to her husband, they still do not talk.

a piece of advice i was given many years ago was there is no such thing as friends when you are talking business i.e. no discounts given and none asked for. I have waited for money before but have been told before i started i would have to wait but even then i have always stated that i want payed by a certain date. wether a sole trader or company you have worked for the money and never be scared to ask for it regardless of consequence because otherwise what's the point it may only be money but, it's yours yo worked for it.

just gotta take a step back and look at the bigger picture

he might be a mate but he probaly got enough money to go out for a drink buy fags as so on

wen that 200 quid could be spent on your own family or kids

Hector...do you a want a few of the lads to go sort it for you????

Oli.and..arti do a debt collect or bummed to death service..:RpS_thumbup:

If we are really sick we will bum his wife.......................while he muffs my ass and Olican can take his coin................I always get the **** jobs......................:RpS_mad:

If we are really sick we will bum his wife.......................while he muffs my ass and Olican can take his coin................I always get the **** jobs......................:RpS_mad:

There you go hector.....knew arti and oli would take it on:RpS_thumbup:
tis a **** job but these boys get in about it...... no muff to tuff, they dive at five:RpS_wink:
They will report back tomorrow....and cassie and keith ar on standby:RpS_wink:

We're all here for you my love :RpS_thumbup: they don't call him 'Keith the Beef' for nothing you know :-0 and they call me 'Oli the fist' :RpS_cursing:

We're all here for you my love :RpS_thumbup: they don't call him 'Keith the Beef' for nothing you know :-0 and they call me 'Oli the fist' :RpS_cursing:

Thought it was Ollie the eigth :RpS_confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
so, we all have our horror stories of not being paid off builders/customers etc, but at time of writing I have now being waiting for 8 weeks for 200.00 quid, problem is I know the lad well in fact we both started on the same day at john laings in 1976, this is not the first time I have had to wait, I know I will get paid but also I should not have to wait this long , and it puts me in an awkward situation, me being me I will wait as I know I will get paid, but I should not have to wait this long,....... anybody out there who have had late payers/bad payers/lost money off so called mates, how do you deal with it but at the same time trying to keep that friendship going, this is a question about friends/mates/family members etc,
an old pat said to me once ,worked for laing but not for long

It's not about the money, it's the time. £200 is the value you put on that time as recompense for trading away part of your only resource, and money obtained by work allows you to enjoy your out of work time to a better degree. You don't know how much time you've got, and there's no gauge to show the amount left in the tank. So giving away part of it leaves you less available for the good and important stuff. So in effect a non paying customer is stealing part of your life that you'll never get back.

No one in the history of mankind lay on their death bed and uttered the last words "I wish I'd spent more time at work.".

If you value the friendship above that time then sit back and wait until you eventually get the money. However, if you do more work for him knowing that he's not going to pay then you're a fool, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Its hard enough plastering and getting paid for it nevermind not getting paid for it I've never understood why plasterers on that diy sos come from miles away to help out for nothing I've helped people because they've helped me out but they do say charity begins at home

Think some people use the diy sos as a marketing gimmick.. U see on a lot of plasterers sites @as seen on tv@ etc etc

That said I'm sure a lot do it out of the goodness of their hearts

Was there a definite agreement on the price or was it pub talk.

Tell us the outcome or what u plan to do
price was agreed cooptza, and over the years have had to wait for my money but it has always been paid,.... and I will get paid off his job, I knew when I took the job on what he was like at paying , but another phone call on Monday should finally get it after I think approx. 6/7 weeks later.

On the other side of the coin i plastered a good mate of mines kitchen, it was the ceiling and just down to below the cupboards. I've known him for years and he's helped me out in the past so I said just give me the price of the materials, it only took me a couple of days as it was a bit of a nightmare but when I finished instead of giving me £30 he stuffed £500 in my hand!!!

A very good mate of mine asked me to do some work for him it was bit of patching plus a ceiling aswell. I wouldn't take any money off him so he said he'd pay me in beer!?? After he totted up the afternoons bar bill and the bargain booze take home bill plus kebabs and it was very clear it would have been much cheaper to have just paid me :RpS_laugh:

My Dad always used to say 'friends and family charge em double' .... your thought no better of tbh ..

I'm also never afraid to ask for money from customers - If people fall out with me because I want what's owed to me then that's there problem and I'm not arsed if I don't work for em again .

I'm paid up when i'm done ...always ... barring if its commercial work when sometimes i'll wait 30 days but im pretty careful who I work for and always check a firm out for missed payments etc on there accounts online

I also only do m8s rates if its a trade i'll know i'll need in the future ...

My Dad always used to say 'friends and family charge em double' .... your thought no better of tbh ..

I'm also never afraid to ask for money from customers - If people fall out with me because I want what's owed to me then that's there problem and I'm not arsed if I don't work for em again .

I'm paid up when i'm done ...always ... barring if its commercial work when sometimes i'll wait 30 days but im pretty careful who I work for and always check a firm out for missed payments etc on there accounts online

I also only do m8s rates if its a trade i'll know i'll need in the future ...
Honest and straight..

Honest and straight..

Only way to be John imo . I wear my heart on my sleeve ... yes its cost me friendships etc but I don't tolerate people who take the piss or try it on with me .....

I even chase up money (next day) when people say i'll bank transfer it tonight and they don't - some get arsey but its them creating there own mither by not doing it ....

Reading some of this makes me think I must be soft.
Been working round my sisters new house again today, overboard and skim the whole house. And fitting a plain run cornice same as what I had in my old house as she always liked it. I'm not charging her a penny for my time. Money isn't everything to me, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I earn decent when I'm on paying jobs. I have a nice car, van, house, bikes etc. I want her to have the same.

Reading some of this makes me think I must be soft.
Been working round my sisters new house again today, overboard and skim the whole house. And fitting a plain run cornice same as what I had in my old house as she always liked it. I'm not charging her a penny for my time. Money isn't everything to me, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I earn decent when I'm on paying jobs. I have a nice car, van, house, bikes etc. I want her to have the same.
Nothing wrong with that too, I have plastered my brothers flat,it's not always about taking money but has to be most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.