Labourers wages

Members online

I pay my lad £60 a day on internals & £80 when we use the machine that's take home am I paying him to much ?
£32 per day, keeping 4 Irish spread rendering and mixing with one of those old wind up diesel mixer...not quick enough for them, they'd all be stood on the scaffold tapping their trowels singing..."WHY R WE WAITING"...more memories lol

You getting on with it now ?i know you have used most machines
yep, it was a struggle at first, we used it for an ill fated outing using bl10 then another outing on a domestic and it kept tripping out there rcd, so it went back to our unit for a bit to be the most expensive shelf in north Yorkshire, but give it another outing gave @blones a ring and he talked us through it, just about understood his welsh tones. not looked back really we use it frequently now.

yep, it was a struggle at first, we used it for an ill fated outing using bl10 then another outing on a domestic and it kept tripping out there rcd, so it went back to our unit for a bit to be the most expensive shelf in north Yorkshire, but give it another outing gave @blones a ring and he talked us through it, just about understood his welsh tones. not looked back really we use it frequently now.
Take my hat off to you ,i dont think i could change now

your giving them a life skill
it is really, and ive 2 more that have progressed on to renderers now earn more etc. one of them sub contracts to me now. he left school at 16 with no qualifications bummed around for a bit came to me at 20 to labour it was a challenge at first,he had his problems his life was a bit of a mess really, now 7 years later he earns 40 odd grand a year, nice house etc mrs with a young child , then to top it off I'm a god parent to his little lad, I was genuinely humbled when he asked me.

it is really, and ive 2 more that have progressed on to renderers now earn more etc. one of them sub contracts to me now. he left school at 16 with no qualifications bummed around for a bit came to me at 20 to labour it was a challenge at first,he had his problems his life was a bit of a mess really, now 7 years later he earns 40 odd grand a year, nice house etc mrs with a young child , then to top it off I'm a god parent to his little lad, I was genuinely humbled when he asked me.
Thats nice !!

running a rendering crew employing wallys, you need to be a chuffing social worker at times too I guess.

it is really, and ive 2 more that have progressed on to renderers now earn more etc. one of them sub contracts to me now. he left school at 16 with no qualifications bummed around for a bit came to me at 20 to labour it was a challenge at first,he had his problems his life was a bit of a mess really, now 7 years later he earns 40 odd grand a year, nice house etc mrs with a young child , then to top it off I'm a god parent to his little lad, I was genuinely humbled when he asked me.[/QUOT
Good on you mate - what goes around comes around

Its harder to find a labrador than it is to find a plasterer and is damn hard to find a good one of either . I dont think theres much profit out of running a crew these days at all

Its harder to find a labrador than it is to find a plasterer and is damn hard to find a good one of either . I dont think theres much profit out of running a crew these days at all
Not in Ireland at the moment running a crew it's not worth it.

Not in Ireland at the moment running a crew it's not worth it.
I'm farming aswell and just have one lad with me now and do bits of everything . Turned down a few houses lately because we wouldnt have time to do them but I got my buddy to do one just to see if it was worth trying to put a gang together . It wasnt , he didnt make $20 a day more than the boys he was paying

I'm farming aswell and just have one lad with me now and do bits of everything . Turned down a few houses lately because we wouldnt have time to do them but I got my buddy to do one just to see if it was worth trying to put a gang together . It wasnt , he didnt make $20 a day more than the boys he was paying
Down my way u would make more then that. But it's not worth the headache

I dont think its worth it anyhow , organising work for a shower of thankless f**k**s
I keeped a labourer in work for 6 months straight 2 years ago. Then I lift him at home for a week. Phoned him on a firday to let him know I wanted him on the Monday. He says to me I've been working with a painter all week sanding floors he needs me Monday and Tuesday lol. I can come with us Wednesday lol. All I said was have u no brain in that head. Then I said have a think about it if I don't here from you in the morning b4 ten I'll get someone else. He didn't get back to me. I got someone else he is still with me till this day. The funny thing was an the Monday evening I bumped into my old labourers wife. Well Keith do you not have work for my husband lol. I told her out straight i phoned him firday and he basically told me no that he had 2 days work with the painter. U should have seen her face. I wouldn't have liked to be him when she got home. Fair play she did apologise for him. He phoned me the following week have u any work. I said I have plenty but not for u. I said u chose to work with the Painter for 2 days instead of coming to work with me and me after giving you 6 months straight. U would not believe his reply but the painter was paying me €10 more a day lol. But then I said to him u leave the house at 6 and dont get home till 6 that's 12 hours how is it €10more then I was paying u. I said if you work it out i was paying u dabble u stupid c**t. Every now and again I see his wife and she still go's red in the face. His mate tells me he does be lucky if he gets 5 days a month now lol. It's true u can't fix stupid

Creaming it ....! well I'm the one who paid £7k for the machine gets the work to pay his wages. Supply all the materials so Until he's in my shoes i think I can cream it . Plus a year ago he wasnt earning a penny now he takes home £400 a week in his pocket not bad that as I kept to plasteres going on s&c for £50 a day now that's taking the piss .
He mite not be worth that on internals but with sounds of it ur creaming it off him on externals and if you lose him because u want to pay him £10 less wen on internals ull kick urself wen ur bk on external with no help..

Last edited:
A decent plastering labourer is like 'gold dust'. Extremely hard job especially if your keeping a few spreaders going. I pay my lad well as he does a decent job and is always reliable.

When I was an apprentice I wasn't allowed near the tools for a year. It wasn't happening until my mixes and working practice for labouring were spot on.

The old boy who was our Labourer was a 'Monster'. Keep 4 Spreaders going, Rendering and skim and drank 10 pints in the pub every night.

The one thing that I would say these days, labouring is easier purely because spreaders have a 'whisk and paddle' now. 25 years ago it was a big 'Lollipop stick and Bicycle Cog welded to a pole' Plunge, Plunge, Plunge.. f**k**g hard work.

Once had a spreader scrape his finish back in a bucket, then he came an found me and tipped the whole f**k**g lot over my head.

Im not joking, he told me straight that if I thought that 'Bitty, Un- Mixed Properly Skim' was acceptable, I should f**k off now and get on the dole. Said I was a disgrace to the trade and lacked respect for skilled tradesman.

But Y'Know what..? I f**k**g learned and never did that again. Tough Tough Blokes but f**k**g brilliant at what they did.

Does anyone remember a hod carrier for a bricklayer? Before my time but I believe a good hod carrier could earn good money back in the day?

A decent plastering labourer is like 'gold dust'. Extremely hard job especially if your keeping a few spreaders going. I pay my lad well as he does a decent job and is always reliable.

When I was an apprentice I wasn't allowed near the tools for a year. It wasn't happening until my mixes and working practice for labouring were spot on.

The old boy who was our Labourer was a 'Monster'. Keep 4 Spreaders going, Rendering and skim and drank 10 pints in the pub every night.

The one thing that I would say these days, labouring is easier purely because spreaders have a 'whisk and paddle' now. 25 years ago it was a big 'Lollipop stick and Bicycle Cog welded to a pole' Plunge, Plunge, Plunge.. f**k**g hard work.

Once had a spreader scrape his finish back in a bucket, then he came an found me and tipped the whole f**k**g lot over my head.

Im not joking, he told me straight that if I thought that 'Bitty, Un- Mixed Properly Skim' was acceptable, I should f**k off now and get on the dole. Said I was a disgrace to the trade and lacked respect for skilled tradesman.

But Y'Know what..? I f**k**g learned and never did that again. Tough Tough Blokes but f**k**g brilliant at what they did.
If u did that 2day ud be in prison doing a 4 week stretch..i had a lad cry on me cos I told him to get me some soundblock boards and he said there were hurting his fingers..bless him

It's worse in Ireland.Dublin is full of Romanians doing the work the Irish can't and won't do.

If u ask me it was a waste of a year just labouring. I was on the trowel on my 2ad week. My old man and uncle watching and going over the work I was doing. I remember my uncle saying u will learn f**k all mixing and carrying get on the trowel as quick as u can I was 15. Saying that I was labouring in the summer since I was 11. My uncle and old man did it the hard way they are f**k*d now. I remember the first time I brought a diesel machine on to a job. My dad what the f**k is that. I said the future. When we tund it on and started smashing s@c on the walls he just looked at me a said u are right. And for him to say that he is old school.

If u ask me it was a waste of a year just labouring. I was on the trowel on my 2ad week. My old man and uncle watching and going over the work I was doing. I remember my uncle saying u will learn f**k all mixing and carrying get on the trowel as quick as u can I was 15. Saying that I was labouring in the summer since I was 11. My uncle and old man did it the hard way they are f**k*d now. I remember the first time I brought a diesel machine on to a job. My dad what the f**k is that. I said the future. When we tund it on and started smashing s@c on the walls he just looked at me a said u are right. And for him to say that he is old school.
Different ways, and to be honest when I first started out I was getting frustrated at being kept off the trowel.

My college tutor said to me it is perfectly fine and correct, "If you know your labouring and mixes you have more in your skill-set when taking jobs on".

There are weeks when I do my own labouring on jobs and as the years have gone by I am thankful for the way I was taught.

Teaching my son exactly the same.

Different ways, and to be honest when I first started out I was getting frustrated at being kept off the trowel.

My college tutor said to me it is perfectly fine and correct, "If you know your labouring and mixes you have more in your skill-set when taking jobs on".

There are weeks when I do my own labouring on jobs and as the years have gone by I am thankful for the way I was taught.

Teaching my son exactly the same.

If I worked out all the summers I did labouring it would be more than a year but I was only a kid. I wouldn't let my sons in to this trade tbh

If I worked out all the summers I did labouring it would be more than a year but I was only a kid. I wouldn't let my sons in to this trade tbh
Yep, 100% agree but my lad was insistent about it. Plus it gives him some wedge for his motor.... You might of seen him, always up McDonalds with his baseball cap on. I call his "C Saxo" a chav mobile. :)

A sad state Irish where the premier tradesman and built Britain when I was a lad
Still a lot of good trades men in Ireland in the small towns and villages and some city's. U should see the standard of work in Dublin diabolical in all trades in Dublin. Not just the dubs but Moseley. All you hear is it'will do it's dublin. I've worked all over Ireland and Dublin is by far far far the worst standard it would shock you a bad tradesman are. U could do a 4 weeks plastering course and pass as a plasterer in Dublin no problem.

Still a lot of good trades men in Ireland in the small towns and villages and some city's. U should see the standard of work in Dublin diabolical in all trades in Dublin. Not just the dubs but Moseley. All you hear is it'will do it's dublin. I've worked all over Ireland and Dublin is by far far far the worst standard it would shock you a bad tradesman are. U could do a 4 weeks plastering course and pass as a plasterer in Dublin no problem.
I'm on my way...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm on my way...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
20161006_135003.jpg
20160823_080536.jpg
20160823_080536.jpg