Its booming again but......

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering has anyone sitebashing here seen a rate rise lately? Seems the whole country is building at the mo but rates remain the same. Sorry to dig up the old rant again.Seems the upstairs lot are riding the recession wave long after its over.

Just wondering has anyone sitebashing here seen a rate rise lately? Seems the whole country is building at the mo but rates remain the same. Sorry to dig up the old rant again.Seems the upstairs lot are riding the recession wave long after its over.

Have had 2 rate increases in the past 12 months on sitework rates, I think a lot of contractors are slowly coming to terms with the fact they no longer have the upper hand when it comes to negotiating rates especially if your good at what you do.

Have had 2 rate increases in the past 12 months on sitework rates, I think a lot of contractors are slowly coming to terms with the fact they no longer have the upper hand when it comes to negotiating rates especially if your good at what you do.
Yes, why compete with muppets,hard to find quality tradespeople

Mental this week 3 phones a day every day! Rates will follow no doubt everyone needs to start jumping ship otherwise you'll be left out ;)

Got offered 2500m of skim the other week. Turned it down on the price offered.
It was still 25% lower than before recession. But it was am improvement as most up here were down more than 50% during the recession.

But still it was rates from 2003

Rates were low so they could try & export their way out of a recession, which Germany did a long time ago. After the next election the interest rates will rise again & the property speculators then the developers then the builders will disappear again. There is no boom in Glasgow, we have the Commonwealth Games bill to settle or our kids do. London is a separate case

There is going to be a huge trade skills gap in the uk when there is a boom of sorts due to the lack of investment in young people over the past 6 years or so. Easy plugged with Eastern Europeans. One man bands are driving prices down also, there's one in every street now, I've never seen so many

ok enough already :RpS_biggrin:

I'm in midlands and there's development going on everywhere! Every site I've been on, every plot sold! Even off plan! Everyone's moaning abt prices. Scaffolders said they are flat out. But rates same as recession. Its a piss take.

I'm in midlands and there's development going on everywhere! Every site I've been on, every plot sold! Even off plan! Everyone's moaning abt prices. Scaffolders said they are flat out. But rates same as recession. Its a piss take.

Its finished mate.
it will never be the same again.

Recovery in economy or not. The fact is the owning a home and the spiral of London controlling the minds of the govt has got so far out of control their is no way back. People just can't buy property now not on the scale as before. The only way it could ever boom again is if the build a mass council housing programme and that won't happen either.

All you will get now is little pockets here and there

I wouldn't say it is finished it could recover. But it would take competent direct highly active government action...

oh right yeah probably finished then.

As spreadylonglegs says I've never seen so many sites going up round here and council refurb works being done in the midlands but the rates are from 2000 somewhere along the line they will have to bite the bullet you would think but the problem I've seen is these blood sucker agencies have jumped all over a lot of the work advertising everywhere for spreads seen as low as 6.50 an hr for them and no more than 13 an hr plus that's for a ten hour shift if I work on site I want price and a good price , these company's will try it on for as long as they can because they know people have to do it with mortgages and bills that have to be paid while they sit back supping tea from their best bone china thinking of their fourth holiday of the year

The Uk and like our own trade has been bastardise get use to it , after all we voted the w@nkers into
power.

The contractors doing the big sites down here are offering maybe 20-30p a metre more now, than they were last year. I still won't work for them though as I can't be doing with all the HSE b*ll***s. I never put my rates down from before the recession. I just work for clients who are willing to pay my rates, and i'm busy as ****.

Whays wrong with being a one man band . I've been one for 34 years never employed a labourer.And I certainly dont drive prices down.

In wales prices have been going down, many plasterers around me willing to skim 2 coat for £2.50 pm!! Shocking! Ewi prices gone down too from £17 pm2 down to £12pm2 (including boarding) most company's got Latvians and Polish working for them really hard to compete!

Wouldn't be a problem if we were but we somehow want to be Americanised were like the america of Europe. The fat land of hope for the eastern european
Only in parts, lots of the uk holds no desirability to anyone wanting to make a living, the scroungers ,yes they can settle anywhere,but the ones with ambition will only seek out areas where they can progress

Whays wrong with being a one man band . I've been one for 34 years never employed a labourer.And I certainly dont drive prices down.
Nothing at all mate, there's just so many of them these days, not like 34 years ago. There's now a lot of inexperienced guys who start up on their own who end up working 60-70 hr weeks for weekly wages, which has the same effect as working for low rates.
I'm not really complaining because it's pointless. Just need to adapt to conditions not to just be busy(that's a doddle), but to make money. Passed a site the other day & saw a guy skimming at 6.30 in the morning, it's highly unlikely the guy was there because he's making a fortune. soon as it's done the contractor will find another inexperienced subbie.

There is a huge amount of experienced people who are useless but don't know it,some with 20 plus years plastering, I have nearly cried watching them..

Status
Not open for further replies.