Its booming again but......

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at all mate, there's just so many of them these days, not like 34 years ago. There's now a lot of inexperienced guys who start up on their own who end up working 60-70 hr weeks for weekly wages, which has the same effect as working for low rates.
I'm not really complaining because it's pointless. Just need to adapt to conditions not to just be busy(that's a doddle), but to make money. Passed a site the other day & saw a guy skimming at 6.30 in the morning, it's highly unlikely the guy was there because he's making a fortune. soon as it's done the contractor will find another inexperienced subbie.

Most of us site lads start early as poss so you can be away by 2pm at the latest. None of the lads I work with are inexperienced subbies, all been at it over 30 years. Its just the way house bashing is! You get in do your hits and get the f#ck out.

all about getting in with the small builders, easier said than done though. Unfortunately a lot of blokes have had to let quality slip for money and a good quality reputation is what gets you better money. Once people get used to being rough and cheap it's not easy to get out of it.

There's a true cost of self employment that only becomes apparent through experience, although some people could graft for 100 years and still never realise this.we may have different reasons for being self employed, if you run a business you'll understand this. I'd like to get the f!!k out early but it's all day every day.

There's a huge boom in self employment right now, which has priced us out of certain areas, so we look for areas where they can't compete, which is becoming more difficult ...especially when people are bustin their arses@ 6.30 in the morning:)

all about getting in with the small builders, easier said than done though. Unfortunately a lot of blokes have had to let quality slip for money and a good quality reputation is what gets you better money. Once people get used to being rough and cheap it's not easy to get out of it.
Agreed raytheplasterer, we call this property developer standard, was at one today, hard even to carry out work to this level when you know how to do it properly

Being on the other side of the fence so to speak, there's a couple of things worth mentioning from my own experience.

Plasterers in Wales seem to be unwilling to work outside of a 5 mile radius of their home. I needed a full three bedroom house doing, totally empty, stripped out, and a flexible deadline in Dolgellau. Either board and skim or skim only. The boarding was probably 30% insulated, 20% fire check and the remainder 'normal' 12.5 mm.

It was a struggle to get anyone at all, and when I contacted a few it was either "Oh, that's a bit of a big job." "I don't travel that far." and the best one was "I can do it if you'll mix for me." So I don't mean to be harsh, but no bloody wonder the rates are low in Wales! If I can drive from Birmingham in two and a half hours surely a half hour or hour journey for a decent sized job would be worth the effort? Apparently not, it seems sitting on your 4rse waiting for your next-door neighbour to want work doing is a better prospect.

Plastering in Birmingham then. I offered three weeks work on here, name your rate, payment terms to suit etc. and further work down the line if we're both happy. Only stipulation from my end is that the work needs to be to a good standard, and keep the place tidy while you're doing it. Two replies.

From my experience, plasterers seeming to enjoy moaning about a lack of work rather than doing some when it's available.

BTW, I had to do most of the plastering myself in Wales. Not to save money, not because I enjoy waving a trowel about, and certainly not because I think I'm a plasterer. Purely from necessity as no one else wanted the work.

So whilst it won't be a popular view on here I'm sure, but the simple fact is 'money talks, and bullsh1t walks'. The work is out there, and the money that goes with it. You do however have to go and do it, and produce quality work.

There are a few on here I'm sure who have seen what I'm talking about. The frustration for them is that every partial plasterer that says 'a house is too much' or 'I don't do ceilings' or 'that's too far' when the jobs half an hour away, are the ones that get all plasterers tarred with the same brush.

BTW, it's not just plasterers that are difficult to find in Wales. It was too far for the three plumbers I contacted to fit a full central heating systems in the same house. The furthest from the house was 20 miles. The bloke who did it in the end travelled 140 miles from Coventry.

Me neither cowen, I don't mind all the hassle either, as long as get I paid as much as I think my time & effort was worth.

travelling is a killer, the amount of energy lot of lads have to expend these days to make a crust there's a real danger of falling asleep driving home.

There's a true cost of self employment that only becomes apparent through experience, although some people could graft for 100 years and still never realise this.we may have different reasons for being self employed, if you run a business you'll understand this. I'd like to get the f!!k out early but it's all day every day.

There's a huge boom in self employment right now, which has priced us out of certain areas, so we look for areas where they can't compete, which is becoming more difficult ...especially when people are bustin their arses@ 6.30 in the morning:)

I wouldn't call starting @ 6am busting your arse when you're home at 2. Its just down to getting into work and not sitting in traffic. Obviously can't be done on domestics. As for running a business, done it seen it been there. Had the good times of the 80s. And the lean times where you have to compete against every chancer/ diy er.Worked abroad for 7 years cos there was nothing here. For now the site work pays the bills. I start @ 7 and gone by 2/2.30. Who wants to be still trowelling at 6.00 pm?

Being on the other side of the fence so to speak, there's a couple of things worth mentioning from my own experience.

Plasterers in Wales seem to be unwilling to work outside of a 5 mile radius of their home. I needed a full three bedroom house doing, totally empty, stripped out, and a flexible deadline in Dolgellau. Either board and skim or skim only. The boarding was probably 30% insulated, 20% fire check and the remainder 'normal' 12.5 mm.

It was a struggle to get anyone at all, and when I contacted a few it was either "Oh, that's a bit of a big job." "I don't travel that far." and the best one was "I can do it if you'll mix for me." So I don't mean to be harsh, but no bloody wonder the rates are low in Wales! If I can drive from Birmingham in two and a half hours surely a half hour or hour journey for a decent sized job would be worth the effort? Apparently not, it seems sitting on your 4rse waiting for your next-door neighbour to want work doing is a better prospect.

Plastering in Birmingham then. I offered three weeks work on here, name your rate, payment terms to suit etc. and further work down the line if we're both happy. Only stipulation from my end is that the work needs to be to a good standard, and keep the place tidy while you're doing it. Two replies.

From my experience, plasterers seeming to enjoy moaning about a lack of work rather than doing some when it's available.

BTW, I had to do most of the plastering myself in Wales. Not to save money, not because I enjoy waving a trowel about, and certainly not because I think I'm a plasterer. Purely from necessity as no one else wanted the work.

So whilst it won't be a popular view on here I'm sure, but the simple fact is 'money talks, and bullsh1t walks'. The work is out there, and the money that goes with it. You do however have to go and do it, and produce quality work.

There are a few on here I'm sure who have seen what I'm talking about. The frustration for them is that every partial plasterer that says 'a house is too much' or 'I don't do ceilings' or 'that's too far' when the jobs half an hour away, are the ones that get all plasterers tarred with the same brush.

BTW, it's not just plasterers that are difficult to find in Wales. It was too far for the three plumbers I contacted to fit a full central heating systems in the same house. The furthest from the house was 20 miles. The bloke who did it in the end travelled 140 miles from Coventry.

Blows my mind. I've been training since April so out of work, I think I'd crawl on bloody stumps in the snow to get paid work. I guess it is what you are used too. I've got a cousin a plasterer around Wales area, wonder if he is one of the lazy gits :)

Plasterer that don't do ceilings?? Well that comments got chancer written all over it! Ceilings are the cream!

Spreadylonglegs.....I was based in luton 10 years mate done all around london....birmingham for 3 years.....north west now 11 years .
The roads are manic everywhere now.
Early starts essential mate.
Most sites kicked off at 4.30.
1 coating for last 6 years !!
100m a day (except christmas)
Crazy life.
Then home to 3 wild loud daughters.
I look forward too retiring at 50 !!
(I fuucking wish!!)

Spreadylonglegs.....I was based in luton 10 years mate done all around london....birmingham for 3 years.....north west now 11 years .
The roads are manic everywhere now.
Early starts essential mate.
Most sites kicked off at 4.30.
1 coating for last 6 years !!
100m a day (except christmas)
Crazy life.
Then home to 3 wild loud daughters.
I look forward too retiring at 50 !!
(I fuucking wish!!)

Luton is awful now on M1 mate.You need to be thru there by 6 at latest if your heading for London or M25!What are you doing? Houses on site or Commercial? Yeah know the feeling, I've fallen asleep in my dinner many times! I've never got the hang of 1 coating but tbh never properly tried apart from cupboards etc. Probably the way forward as prices are shite.

House bashing mainly.....odd float n set jobs (schools prison hospitals)
Private work just does my head in.
I live by the coast....always traveling out to main motorways.
I think sometimes I live in my motor.

Your right rates are shite.
But I need to afford 2 meals in the evening....house bashing is a constant hunger !!!

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:rolleyes)

House bashing mainly.....odd float n set jobs (schools prison hospitals)
Private work just does my head in.
I live by the coast....always traveling out to main motorways.
I think sometimes I live in my motor.

Yeah I used to do all my own work but nowadays I like my working day to end when I get in my van to come home. 100m2 a day is a lot on the pokey houses these days, there's not much cream in them. I do about 60m2 a day unless there's a good run to go at. Angles do my wrists in now. I've found I've slowed down a lot now. Don't think I be at it much longer.

Yeah I used to do all my own work but nowadays I like my working day to end when I get in my van to come home. 100m2 a day is a lot on the pokey houses these days, there's not much cream in them. I do about 60m2 a day unless there's a good run to go at. Angles do my wrists in now. I've found I've slowed down a lot now. Don't think I be at it much longer.

Gawd, sounds like you'll be retiring at 70 and no mistake, lazy sod.

Your talking about the north walians!
I'm im west Wales and in the last year the furthest I've traveled for work is 25 miles from home (been lucky).
I've travelled all over with work tho when a good opportunity arises, spent 2 years in London, Essex, Cambridge, Cornwall and cardiff.

I think you may have mentioned a job in Dolgellau to me.
Perhaps too far
Drop me a mail if you are stuck again.

If you learn to 1 coat ....the pokey areas become just as easy (staircase/cupboards/bays etc)
4 smaller hits instead of 3.
1.5 bags (mixed a bit heavier).
Hour n half a gauge. Approx 90m skimmed !!

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:rolleyes)

Pretty much sums it up when you read post after post on here crying about the lack of work or low rates. Have a look in the plasterers wanted section on this forum and you'll see how few are actually looking for work.

I guess it's hard to find plasterers because all the decent ones have a fairly constant flow of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.