Its booming again but......

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you learn to 1 coat ....the pokey areas become just as easy (staircase/cupboards/bays etc)
4 smaller hits instead of 3.
1.5 bags (mixed a bit heavier).
Hour n half a gauge. Approx 90m skimmed !!
something wrong here you make 6 bags go 90 mtrs ?
im not knocking you or your methods but that's stretching gear out :RpS_blink:

Being on the other side of the fence so to speak, there's a couple of things worth mentioning from my own experience.

Plasterers in Wales seem to be unwilling to work outside of a 5 mile radius of their home. I needed a full three bedroom house doing, totally empty, stripped out, and a flexible deadline in Dolgellau. Either board and skim or skim only. The boarding was probably 30% insulated, 20% fire check and the remainder 'normal' 12.5 mm.

It was a struggle to get anyone at all, and when I contacted a few it was either "Oh, that's a bit of a big job." "I don't travel that far." and the best one was "I can do it if you'll mix for me." So I don't mean to be harsh, but no bloody wonder the rates are low in Wales! If I can drive from Birmingham in two and a half hours surely a half hour or hour journey for a decent sized job would be worth the effort? Apparently not, it seems sitting on your 4rse waiting for your next-door neighbour to want work doing is a better prospect.

Plastering in Birmingham then. I offered three weeks work on here, name your rate, payment terms to suit etc. and further work down the line if we're both happy. Only stipulation from my end is that the work needs to be to a good standard, and keep the place tidy while you're doing it. Two replies.

From my experience, plasterers seeming to enjoy moaning about a lack of work rather than doing some when it's available.

BTW, I had to do most of the plastering myself in Wales. Not to save money, not because I enjoy waving a trowel about, and certainly not because I think I'm a plasterer. Purely from necessity as no one else wanted the work.

So whilst it won't be a popular view on here I'm sure, but the simple fact is 'money talks, and bullsh1t walks'. The work is out there, and the money that goes with it. You do however have to go and do it, and produce quality work.

There are a few on here I'm sure who have seen what I'm talking about. The frustration for them is that every partial plasterer that says 'a house is too much' or 'I don't do ceilings' or 'that's too far' when the jobs half an hour away, are the ones that get all plasterers tarred with the same brush.

BTW, it's not just plasterers that are difficult to find in Wales. It was too far for the three plumbers I contacted to fit a full central heating systems in the same house. The furthest from the house was 20 miles. The bloke who did it in the end travelled 140 miles from Coventry.

Not going to kick up an arguement here but you can't tar every plasterer with the same brush! I travel all over wales to do my work, yes don't get me wrong local jobs are great but I'm working 1hr 20 mins away from house and I know many boys who are willing to travel. There's no real shortage of work here either but cheap labour coming from Latvians and the polish are killing it for the rest.

Pretty much sums it up when you read post after post on here crying about the lack of work or low rates. Have a look in the plasterers wanted section on this forum and you'll see how few are actually looking for work.

I guess it's hard to find plasterers because all the decent ones have a fairly constant flow of work.

Absolutely. Anyone scratching around for work in good times can't be any good.

I get between 9/10 metres a bag ,bit less if im working to beads ,window walls, reveals etc.

I would imagine seeing scrims putting it on that tight !

Being on the other side of the fence so to speak, there's a couple of things worth mentioning from my own experience.

The bloke who did it in the end travelled 140 miles from Coventry.

so the moral of this story is, if you are looking for a total idiot there are plenty in coventry !

15m 1coating ...10m 2 coating.
Kept busy all the time only time ive had scrim show through is on mp finish when theres a kick in the boards.

so the moral of this story is, if you are looking for a total idiot there are plenty in coventry !

He travelled for a couple of hours and got paid for doing so. Then he fitted the central heating and got paid for that too. Then got paid for travelling back.

So maybe he's an idiot, but I reckon not. I would suggest that the idiots are the ones crying about a lack of work or low rates and doing nothing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.