Is this good quality plastering? Am I being ripped off? Advice

Members online

jaffajeo

Hi there,

So, I've had plasterers working on a hall (about 18 x 7 meters) to plaster over damaged walls (primarily cracks) and ceiling cracks. To fill in any holes / and to polish up. This included skimming a long border of waist height plasterboard, that goes around the hall. Of the original walls, I'd say they ended up plastering / skimming about 25% of it.

After paying the costs of joinery, they estimated (not quoted) about 1.5k and now they're requesting 5.5k.

However my issues are with the finish, and I'd really appreciate 2nd opinions!

1)
Wall Corners where the plaster-board meets.
272254640_1132079740867170_646392535529612495_n.jpg

273063232_384413626820490_4085626959532039422_n.jpg

2) This a corner section, above a doorway
272220005_1574840666211038_3520733606420014419_n.jpg

3) Plastering around window edges (around wooden doweling) that borders each of the windows of the hall.

262532555_745403156863695_6209295941836213235_n.jpg

4) Ceiling had quite a lot of cracks. At first, they would open the cracks, fill them, then tape over them. But, it seems that along the way when time got shorter that (thinner cracks) were just skimmed over and that was that. However, I think some of them might be peeking through already.

272902264_1545223209185362_7822518207559315490_n.jpg

5) I don-t have a picture for this, but on the new plasterboard, when I run my hand across it... each time the board joins it feels like there is a 3 mm depression in the plaster - about half an inch wide. So the walls for the plasterboard aren't perfectly flush.

There is more... but I would appreciate your thoughts folks. I haven't paid yet, but I can see that the finish isn't where it needs to be.

It's a bit of a nightmare, as you'd expect there is no excuse why new plasterboard walls aren't flush... but I don't want to get into a huge fight with them.

They've rated their work as £25 / hour. I feel, that the quality of the work is half of what I expected, how would you approach this situation gentlemen?

It's a bit of a nightmare, as you'd expect there is no excuse why new plasterboard walls aren't flush... but I don't want to get into a huge fight with them.

They've rated their work as £25 / hour. I feel, that the quality of the work is half of what I expected, how would you approach this situation gentlemen?
Tell him to do one, he’s vandalised your home, and tell him he owes u money

I.d of got @Topspread16 to do it

Hi there,

So, I've had plasterers working on a hall (about 18 x 7 meters) to plaster over damaged walls (primarily cracks) and ceiling cracks. To fill in any holes / and to polish up. This included skimming a long border of waist height plasterboard, that goes around the hall. Of the original walls, I'd say they ended up plastering / skimming about 25% of it.

After paying the costs of joinery, they estimated (not quoted) about 1.5k and now they're requesting 5.5k.

However my issues are with the finish, and I'd really appreciate 2nd opinions!

1)
Wall Corners where the plaster-board meets.
View attachment 67996
View attachment 67997

2) This a corner section, above a doorway
View attachment 67998

3) Plastering around window edges (around wooden doweling) that borders each of the windows of the hall.

View attachment 68001

4) Ceiling had quite a lot of cracks. At first, they would open the cracks, fill them, then tape over them. But, it seems that along the way when time got shorter that (thinner cracks) were just skimmed over and that was that. However, I think some of them might be peeking through already.

View attachment 68002

5) I don-t have a picture for this, but on the new plasterboard, when I run my hand across it... each time the board joins it feels like there is a 3 mm depression in the plaster - about half an inch wide. So the walls for the plasterboard aren't perfectly flush.

There is more... but I would appreciate your thoughts folks. I haven't paid yet, but I can see that the finish isn't where it needs to be.
Who the actual f**k has an 18m hallway?

How has the job ballooned in price like that?

5 1/2 weeks at £200 a day?

As someone else said. Your home has been vandalised. Fcuk them off

Some extra info

* Their price is based on 293 hours of work priced at £25 an hour (mostly done by 2 folks)
* The hall is a former church so its about 9m x 18.

Most of the walls were just crack repairs in the plaster, but the bottom section was replaced by plasterboard (about 1 meter high) all the way around.

We supplied the scaffold etc, and supplies like plaster-board etc. The pink is the original walls. There is a lot of cracks fixed on the ceilings however, only half of them (or less) were filled in and taped over.

272767703_3173779629565938_152399957612190698_n.jpg

Some extra info

* Their price is based on 293 hours of work priced at £25 an hour (mostly done by 2 folks)

Most of the walls were just crack repairs in the plaster, but the bottom section was replaced by plasterboard (about 1 meter high) all the way around.

We supplied the scaffold etc, and supplies like plaster-board etc. The pink is the original walls. There is a lot of cracks fixed on the ceilings however, only half of them (or less) were filled in and taped over.

View attachment 68003
That would look mint if u got a decent gang in there to re plaster the whole lot

Some extra info

View attachment 68003
Genuinely is that the before or after photo?

Some extra info

View attachment 68003
What a mess. I wouldn’t like to see that painted.

Some extra info

View attachment 68003
Should have got @algeeman. He'd have skimmed that in 2 hits.

Some extra info

View attachment 68003
Plaster board...jeez...

"Tell them that you are not happy with the quality of the works. You are going to have Architect and a member of the builders federation inspect it."

Thanks Malc, and for everyone else that has provided advice. What a screw up eh folks, and the thing is - I really want to preserve this building for posterity. It's a place that will eventually become a home, but in a manner that preserves it so that it may become a church again. But... so far it seems I've screwed that up big time.

I'll let you know how the discussion goes with them, and at some point I might post in more detail, the current state of the hall, and if this is allowed in the forum, job postings.

This is how it once looked.

Attachments

• 245333629_619462669216502_1998541923834197638_n.jpg
    245333629_619462669216502_1998541923834197638_n.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 181